PDA

View Full Version : Coral QT Tank - How to?

Tetra84
03/30/2012, 07:00 AM
Can someone tell me what is composed of a coral QT tank? What sort of equipment it needs, and your procedure for QT'ing new frags?

thegrun
03/30/2012, 07:50 AM
I have a small (15 gallon) mini-reef tank set-up that I use. It has complete filtration/lighting. I dip all new corals in Tropic Marin Pro-Coral for 5-10 minutes and then Two Little Fishies ReVive for another 5 minutes. Then I place the new corals in the QT tank for a couple of weeks to watch for any signs of pests.

schatzi
03/30/2012, 08:39 AM
I have a small (15 gallon) mini-reef tank set-up that I use. It has complete filtration/lighting. I dip all new corals in Tropic Marin Pro-Coral for 5-10 minutes and then Two Little Fishies ReVive for another 5 minutes. Then I place the new corals in the QT tank for a couple of weeks to watch for any signs of pests.

What are you using for the lights?

Tetra84
03/30/2012, 10:15 AM

I'd like to know this as well. Along with what you use for the whole filtration system.. I'm told it doesn't have to be complicated.. but what consists of 'not complicated'?

thegrun
03/30/2012, 10:25 AM

Four T-5 bulbs since I frequently need to QT SPS corals. You could get by with less lighting if you don't intend on getting high light demanding corals. Placing the more demanding corals near the waterline will also help if you QT lights are not strong. I don't quarantine corals for 5-6 weeks like fish, so as long as the lighting isn't too weak the corals will be fine.

thegrun
03/30/2012, 10:28 AM
For filtration the tank I use is a small all in one tank. I have carbon in a bag in the back and just use the existing live rock as filtration.

schatzi
03/30/2012, 02:01 PM
For filtration the tank I use is a small all in one tank. I have carbon in a bag in the back and just use the existing live rock as filtration.

"existing live rock" as in you keep that tank running all the time? What do you feed the tank to keep the bacteria going?

cloak
03/30/2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

schatzi
03/30/2012, 02:37 PM
yeah that's a great article, more interested in what sounds like an unconventional way to run a QT that uses live rock. since it's corals you won't be using copper at any point, so LR is fine, so just asking what he does to keep it live since you don't have fish pooping in there.

thegrun
03/30/2012, 05:13 PM
I actually do feed the tank when there are not fish in it but also use it as a fish QT. If I do need to treat either corals or fish I set up a separate hospital tank. The drawback is that I then have to leave the QT without fish for 6 weeks. I don't add fish or even coral all that often now so the tank has morphed into another nano reef tank, but it still gets used for QT.

cloak
03/30/2012, 07:48 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/ft/index.php