PDA

View Full Version : Equipment questions

MeTaLMaN1375
03/30/2012, 09:17 AM
Im going to be buying a series of equipment for my new tank that I currently have setup and running at the moment Im going to list the current specs on it and Im hoping that as i go along listing the things Im gonna purchase you can tell me if it any good. Oh feel free to make suggestions to what I should purchase as well in detail for my tank.

This is what I have currently.
1. 55 gallon tank
2. fluval 305 canister filter
3. 3 inches of live sand
4. saltwater tested at 1.024
5. powerhead pump cobalt mj-400

The tank has been set up for about 5 days now also in your suggestions keep in mind that I know Im missing a lot of stuff here lol so bare with me.

Now these are the pieces I want to acquire please let me know the good the bad and the ugly. Ill provide links to where they can be found incase I find something someone else could use at a price they like. Mostly ebay if not all of it BTW.

1. Danner Supreme Skilter 400 Power Filter & Protein Skim
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Danner-Supreme-Skilter-400-Power-Filter-Protein-Skim-/180841376736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1afc6be0#ht_1372wt_1139

2. 100 G Aquarium Reef RO DI 5stage Reverse Osmosis Water
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180544571860?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

3. 48" 216W 4x54 T5 HO Aquarium Light Marine Reef Fish Tank Fluorescent Actinic LED
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290689161710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1998wt_1396

4. 1300GPH WAVE MAKER CORAL FISH PUMP AQUARIUM POWERHEAD x2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1300GPH-WAVE-MAKER-CORAL-FISH-PUMP-AQUARIUM-POWERHEAD-/220733577708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364bf19ec#ht_2254wt_1163

So that's what I got so far please let me know if I'm making a mistake with any of these items and suggest in detail what I should get instead keeping in mind my pockets aren't that big lol.

Thank you much in advance.

MeTaLMaN1375
03/30/2012, 09:24 AM
Oh I should prob add that what I want to have in the tank eventually is a mini reef so that I have more room for fish so kind of like a half and half thing.

MeTaLMaN1375
03/30/2012, 02:28 PM
Can someone help me out with this please?

Playa-1
03/30/2012, 02:40 PM
My advice is to sit on the sidelines and read as much as you can. Wait for good deals on used high quality equipment to come around and jump on them.

BigCountry74
03/30/2012, 02:41 PM
if your going reef you need live rock first and foremost. everything in a reef tank lives/anchors off the rock. so the sooner you can get it in your tank and get it cycling the faster you can get to reef.

put the lights and skimmer less priority and purchase some rock instead.

you can cycle that with no lights and the powerheads. unplug the canister and sell it and use the money towards your skimmer. u dont need it on that 55g. the rock will be your bio filtration.

and I like you have the RO/DI unit on your list. definitely buy that if your serious about this.

so:

1.) RO/DI
2.) rock (hit up craiglist and see if you can find someone breaking down a tank and will sell you 55lbs of their rock perhaps)
3.) powerheads

sell canister, use money towards skimmer.

then start looking at lights

TheFishTeen
03/30/2012, 02:46 PM
if your going reef you need live rock first and foremost. everything in a reef tank lives/anchors off the rock. so the sooner you can get it in your tank and get it cycling the faster you can get to reef.

I disagree. In fact, I don't recommend any live rock once so ever. Dry rock is better. Check out BulkReefSupply.com and MarcoRocks.com

But most importantly, don't use the canister filter! This is freshwater technology. A reef tank needs an overflow/sump system.

Do research, it will save you a LOT of cash.

gbru316
03/30/2012, 02:58 PM
I disagree. In fact, I don't recommend any live rock once so ever. Dry rock is better. Check out BulkReefSupply.com and MarcoRocks.com

Do research, it will save you a LOT of cash.

based on what?

You still need something to seed your tank, even if it's 3 lbs of live and 100 lbs of dry.

Coralline, pods, bristleworms, etc don't magically appear.

MeTaLMaN1375
03/30/2012, 03:03 PM
Yup getting the LR is a good idea was gonna get a few just to start me off with but the question Im asking is the equipment I have listed that Im going to buy is it good enough quality or will I be wasting my money. And if something on that list is no good what would you recommend that wont break the bank.

BigCountry74
03/30/2012, 03:09 PM
sorry i meant rock in general. live/dry it does not matter - was just trying to take focus off that canister :D. i prefer starting with some live since dry only can take awhile.

BigCountry74
03/30/2012, 03:12 PM
replace your skimmer you have listed with this one,

http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopus-BH-100-Hang-on-Back-Protein-Skimmer-P451C634.aspx

and do not buy the lights you have listed. they are cheap. really cheap. i bought one of these ebay fixtures when I started and it lasted 3 days...literally.....luckily I was able to salvage the LEDs at least...the ballast are just really cheap, the metal is super thin and the cooling is horrible. way too much plastic.

outside of a RO/DI unit, skimmer and lights are very important for reef. you do not want to run cheap lights...yeah you will save money up front, but end of spending 3x in stock that will die...or electrocution, or your housing burning down hehe

kick out 100 more bucks or so and get these lights or something equal:

http://www.aquacave.com/TEK-LIGHT-T-5-48-Light-Fixture-4-x-54W-lamps-by-Sunlight-Supply-P643C1051.aspx

A bonus of both those items I have listed is they are good quality. populate stuff. so you can sell them via CL almost instantly if and when you decide to upgrade tanks, because then you start over equipment wise.

gbru316
03/30/2012, 03:12 PM
Ditch the canister filter and don't bother with the skilter.

Substitute a quality protein skimmer.

OTOWN78
03/30/2012, 03:14 PM
For the amount of money we invest in out tanks, one place to never cut corners is the equipment. I agree on getting rid of the canister filter and go with a sump, after purchasing a sump, then do your potein skimmer in or off the side of your sump.
Power heads are very important to the tank, as they simulate the ocean current, I personally would not feel good putting a $18 power head in the tank. It may work, but for how long.. Just my 2 cents.. Good Luck.

MeTaLMaN1375
03/30/2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Guess I need to shell out gonna take a little longer but good things come to those that wait. Might as well do it right so in the end it was worth every penny.

gbru316
03/30/2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Guess I need to shell out gonna take a little longer but good things come to those that wait. Might as well do it right so in the end it was worth every penny.

Unfortunately you have to pay to play in this hobby, and the costs increase proportionally to the size of the tank.

That's why I have a 10g nano at the moment. Not my dream tank, but it's better than nothing.

gpd124
03/30/2012, 03:31 PM

http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopus-BH-100-Hang-on-Back-Protein-Skimmer-P451C634.aspx

and do not buy the lights you have listed. they are cheap. really cheap. i bought one of these ebay fixtures when I started and it lasted 3 days...literally.....luckily I was able to salvage the LEDs at least...the ballast are just really cheap, the metal is super thin and the cooling is horrible. way too much plastic.

outside of a RO/DI unit, skimmer and lights are very important for reef. you do not want to run cheap lights...yeah you will save money up front, but end of spending 3x in stock that will die...or electrocution, or your housing burning down hehe

kick out 100 more bucks or so and get these lights or something equal:

http://www.aquacave.com/TEK-LIGHT-T-5-48-Light-Fixture-4-x-54W-lamps-by-Sunlight-Supply-P643C1051.aspx

A bonus of both those items I have listed is they are good quality. populate stuff. so you can sell them via CL almost instantly if and when you decide to upgrade tanks, because then you start over equipment wise.

I agree with the reef octopus selection. I have one (in sump) and have not had an issue with it.

As it relates to lighting, you may want to consider what kind of coral you would like to keep. Lighting needs can really vary. After you make this determination, there are plenty of threads to read up on different lighting options.

MeTaLMaN1375
03/30/2012, 06:50 PM
I don't think Im doing a sump for a couple reasons 1 is I have an open tank stand and a sump is a bit of an eye sore granted thats an easy fix it looks like it makes messes and my tank is on the second floor in a fully carpeted room and the most important reason is I havent the slightest idea of how to hook up a sump and I been reading a lot but the only thing I cant seem to find is an item specific list of what goes in a sump tank other than live organisms. Im very handy at building things considering I used to be a carpenter and built things my whole life but if I dont know what goes in it or how then I cant build one. FYI I have an extra 20 gal tank that I may be able to do that with if I knew how to and it doesnt make messes.

gbru316
03/30/2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think Im doing a sump for a couple reasons 1 is I have an open tank stand and a sump is a bit of an eye sore granted thats an easy fix it looks like it makes messes and my tank is on the second floor in a fully carpeted room and the most important reason is I havent the slightest idea of how to hook up a sump and I been reading a lot but the only thing I cant seem to find is an item specific list of what goes in a sump tank other than live organisms. Im very handy at building things considering I used to be a carpenter and built things my whole life but if I dont know what goes in it or how then I cant build one. FYI I have an extra 20 gal tank that I may be able to do that with if I knew how to and it doesnt make messes.

At a minimum, a sump houses Your equipment so that it doesn't clutter up your display. It can also include a refugium that aids in nutrient export.

MeTaLMaN1375
03/31/2012, 07:59 AM

http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopus...-P451C634.aspx
Just wanted to know will this PS work with a sump I have a 20 gal tank that I plan on converting to a sump. Read some reviews and one said it didnt work with a sump.