PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer Advice

ken55
03/30/2012, 06:11 PM
Ok, so i'm trying to do this right (for once:spin1:)

My Live aquaria purchase should be here tomorrow and I'm setting up the QT. I called LA and they told me that they ship at 1.025 so that is the target for my QT. I went to lfs to get water (I don't have my own RO/DI yet) and filled the QT. When I tested it I got a reading of 1.027 That seemed pretty high. So, not sure what to do I filled the hydrometer with sink water expecting it to read 1.000 Instead it gave me 1.002

Am I doing something wrong? It seems simple enough. I looked for bubbles on the swing arm and couldn't find any. Can I assume this thing just reads .002 high and remember to compensate?:hmm2:

Thanks for your help,
Ken

scooter268
03/30/2012, 06:17 PM
Use ro/di water to see where it measures. Tap may have some desolved salts or other giving ulyou that reading. After using ro/di and you still get an indication of salt well your hydrometer is off.

Get a refractometer, they are more accurate than the hydrometer

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Agu
03/30/2012, 06:17 PM
If you have time tomorrow before the delivery go to your LFS and compare the hydrometer reading to their refractometer/hydrometer and then compensate for any differences.

BTW, if there's enough water in the bags just check their water against your water using the same hydrometer to check both.

If you don't have time to check the hydrometer do the acclimation and don't worry. A .002 difference isn't that big and not a deal killer.

sponger0
03/30/2012, 06:26 PM
My advice is get a refractometer lol.

FreakingReefing
03/30/2012, 06:31 PM
ya another vote for refractometer, well worth the investment!

ken55
03/30/2012, 07:05 PM
If you have time tomorrow before the delivery go to your LFS and compare the hydrometer reading to their refractometer/hydrometer and then compensate for any differences.

BTW, if there's enough water in the bags just check their water against your water using the same hydrometer to check both.

If you don't have time to check the hydrometer do the acclimation and don't worry. A .002 difference isn't that big and not a deal killer.

:thumbsup: Thanks.

Others: Yes I know a refractometer is probably better but an ice storm last January broke the branches off my money tree......... I think it's recovering but so far it's only budding nickels and dimes:lol2:

cordell
03/30/2012, 07:12 PM
According to a recent debate here at RC, a hydrometer is pretty consistent over time about how much off it is from the actual salinity. So, if you go check your hydrometer reading against your LFS's refractometer reading, you'll know how much off yours is high or low. Just remember that number (some folks write it on the hydrometer with sharpie)...

ryeguyy84
03/30/2012, 07:56 PM
According to a recent debate here at RC, a hydrometer is pretty consistent over time about how much off it is from the actual salinity. So, if you go check your hydrometer reading against your LFS's refractometer reading, you'll know how much off yours is high or low. Just remember that number (some folks write it on the hydrometer with sharpie)...

Yup and it's good for a quick check.

Im14abeer
03/30/2012, 08:23 PM
If nothing else, bring the qt down. Less harm likely acclimating down a little than up. Do get confirmation though.

cloak
03/30/2012, 08:36 PM
Do you know what the differnece is between two knuckleheads? Nothing... One person has problems with a plastic hydrometer, the other one can't seem to calibrate the refractometer. It's all up to U...

bnumair
03/30/2012, 08:56 PM
if u cannot get more ro/di water to bring the salinity down then other choice u have is to drip acclimate the livestock coming in for 1 hr or more. this will adjust the salinity and ph problem and temp will be balance.

Ron Reefman
03/31/2012, 04:33 AM

+1
I have both. I calibrate my refractometer every 3-4 months (almost always right on... but not always... just like everybody else's). I compared my hydrometer to my refractometer and it reads 0.004 low. So I added a lable that says "ADD 0.004". I've been using that hydrometer for over 2 years now and it's alway dead on the money with the regularly recalibrated refractometer.

You mentioned being on a budget so take your hydrometer to the LFS or a friend who has a hydrometer and do the comparison and mark the hydrometer acordingly. You can buy a refractometer later when money isn't an issue. :thumbsup:

BTW, I've been doing this for 7 years now... when does the money not being an issue thing start to kick in? :lmao:

ken55
03/31/2012, 06:05 AM
Do you know what the differnece is between two knuckleheads? Nothing... One person has problems with a plastic hydrometer, the other one can't seem to calibrate the refractometer. It's all up to U...

I don't mind the knucklehead comment. It's not slander if it's true:lol2:

ken55
03/31/2012, 06:09 AM
BTW, I've been doing this for 7 years now... when does the money not being an issue thing start to kick in? :lmao:

Beats me. I thought it had something to do with the 50/90:lmao:

Just joking of course. Money will always be an issue for me.