PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Angel

Shellyfish
04/01/2012, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking of taking a chance on a majestic angel in my reef. From what I've been reading they seem to be one of the "safer" bets. I do realize there is a risk. I'm just wondering if size makes a difference? Would starting off with a small juvenile be better than a bigger one? Would they be less likely to go after corals? Or does it even matter?

Plato
04/01/2012, 11:50 AM
I've got one in a 275 sps with no lps so don't know if its a nipper. Other angels in the tank are. Go with a smaller one as bigger ones become more difficult to transitions to flake and pellets or any thing at all. Mine will eat any thing thrown at him. It 3" from nose to tail.

MrTuskfish
04/01/2012, 11:59 AM
Almost all angels in this genus do better as juvis. They haven't had a chance to have their diet "hard-wired" yet and ship better. Plus, watching a juvi like this change from juvi to adult colors is half the fun of owning them, IMO. Of course, you guarantees with their appetite for coral.

NYCBOB
04/01/2012, 01:44 PM
go with the juvi as stated above. sps should be fine. clams not so much.

Shellyfish
04/01/2012, 04:56 PM
I should note that my tank is LPS and softies, no clams though.

Kahuna Tuna
04/01/2012, 05:08 PM
A great choice for an angel in a reef tank but they are still angels and depending on the individual fish can still be quite destructive. Mine has not touched any of my corals except for actinodiscus shrooms. I think you may have issues with the LPS but the soft corals should be ok. I keep mostly leathers and it has never nipped those at all. I agree with the others that a smaller fish would be better but juvie majestics are pretty touchy for a pomacanthus and a small adult in the 3 inch size range would be your best bet IMO.

Shellyfish
04/01/2012, 05:45 PM
hmm, I'm really partial to my LPS, I will really have to debate if I want to risk it or not.

rssjsb
04/02/2012, 09:05 AM
LPS are always a risk with any angel. My majestic ignores corals for the most part, although I suspect it played a role in ridding my tank of yellow polyps. He also seemed to like xenia and anthelia. I have no LPS.

Also, you should note that any angel could suddenly decide to take a liking to a coral after ignoring it for years. There simply are no guarantees.

If you decide to do this, I agree with Kahuna Tuna that you should try a small adult rather than a juvie. Mine was slightly less than 2" long when I got him, and already had full adult coloration. QT is especially important for this species, which tends to be very shy upon introduction. Getting it eating in a calm environment without distractions from other fish is a good idea (aside from the usual concerns about disease).

aznepydna
04/02/2012, 02:04 PM
My majestic ignores sps, zoas, yumas, and rbta's. It ate the only chalice I had and a hammer coral though.

rpjaws74
04/02/2012, 03:21 PM
I have mine with only soft corals and starry polyps his about 5-6 in and doesnt bother anything !! So far atleast

Sheol
04/02/2012, 05:30 PM
Wait!? They will eat Actinodiscus 'shrooms? Where can I find one! LOL

Matthew

Shellyfish
04/02/2012, 07:07 PM
hmm, I might be better off with a lamarck's!

Daniel Reef
04/02/2012, 07:53 PM
Wait!? They will eat Actinodiscus 'shrooms? Where can I find one! LOL

Matthew

Live Aquaria is selling several.

jimroth
04/03/2012, 07:24 AM
My Majestic has ignored SPS and favia brains but did chow down on a small chalice I had. Tasted some zoos but stopped. Otherwise a model citizen, I've had him for 18+ months. I WISH he would eat 'shrooms.