PDA

View Full Version : quick cycle question

Jasontkd
04/01/2012, 02:17 PM
Ok. New tank. 14 gallon. Started with dry rock and one seeded live rock. I dosed ammonia and had ammonia levels at 4ppm for several days. Today. Ammonia almost 0. But nitrite and nitrate ares off the chart. I have never had this happen

Jasontkd
04/01/2012, 02:19 PM
I mean both spiked today. Not nitrite followed by nitrate. Both spiked together. How is that possible? How should I proceed?

Jasontkd
04/01/2012, 02:23 PM
Also, I have a pretty nice diatome bloom going on too

TheAquatard
04/01/2012, 03:19 PM
Just give it time, it'll work its way out

dreef1
04/01/2012, 03:20 PM
A new tank goes through a series of cycles and as long as you do the proper maintenance like water changes you should be fine and it should eventually maintain itself.

Jasontkd
04/01/2012, 04:42 PM
Just give it time, it'll work its way out

I have cycled several tanks, but have never seen anything like this. I have always had a pretty standard first cycle (ammonia spike, followed by nitrite spike, followed by nitrate spike). Never have I had Nitrite and Nitrate spike at the same time.

I just don't see how it can work. I mean, the ammonia was high for a few weeks, giving ample time for the bacteria to populate to convert ammonia to nitrite, but how can there be enough bacteria to convert nitrite to nitrate? They spiked at the same time.

00Warpig00
04/01/2012, 05:05 PM
apparently there is... or you wouldn't have any nitrate. I wouldnt worry about it for a second. Just keep waiting and testing to see when nitrite drops.

Nick

Jasontkd
04/03/2012, 07:24 PM
Ok, still cycling. Thanks for all the help so far. My new concern is the level of the nitrites. As soon as I run the test, it is instantly showing 5ppm (highest reading listed) without any resting time.

So, I have heard if nitrites get too high it can stall a cycle. Should I just wait this out, or should I do a water change of some sort?

Jasontkd
04/03/2012, 07:27 PM
Ok, still cycling. Thanks for all the help so far. My new concern is the level of the nitrites. As soon as I run the test, it is instantly showing 5ppm (highest reading listed) without any resting time.

So, I have heard if nitrites get too high it can stall a cycle. Should I just wait this out, or should I do a water change of some sort?

Nemo Girl
04/03/2012, 07:34 PM
U should wait for your tank to cycle before a water change.

Sport507
04/03/2012, 07:55 PM

What is your rush? You have proven to yourself that nitrites are of the chart with no rest time on a test. No, the cycle will complete when it completes and nitrites will have no delay in the process.

Keep in mind that Nitrites are killers, just don't jump the gun and wait it out. When you see Nitrates get down to 15PPM ok 20 or less the think about livestock.:reading:

Yes, no water change needed until after the cycle.

00Warpig00
04/03/2012, 10:39 PM
This is just my opinion, but I prefer a large spike of ammonia/nitrite, no matter that it can take three or more weeks for that nitrite spike to drop to 0. If I have larger spikes I feel more confident that the bacteria that needs to exist to convert ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is more plentiful.

Patience...

Nick

rpjaws74
04/04/2012, 12:23 AM
like they say nothing good happens fast in this hobby!!

Jasontkd
04/04/2012, 02:51 PM
What is your rush? You have proven to yourself that nitrites are of the chart with no rest time on a test. No, the cycle will complete when it completes and nitrites will have no delay in the process.

Keep in mind that Nitrites are killers, just don't jump the gun and wait it out. When you see Nitrates get down to 15PPM ok 20 or less the think about livestock.:reading:

Yes, no water change needed until after the cycle.

like they say nothing good happens fast in this hobby!!

There is no rush. I am not asking questions because I am impatient or want to hurry up and start adding things. I am also not new to this hobby.

With all that being said, I have just never had a cycle go the way (2 spikes at the same time) this one has, so i figured it was worth asking. Also, I have read several threads over the years where people discuss how very high Nitrite levels can completely stall a cycle.

Now although I am not in a hurry, nor do I want to rush this, I also don't want to unnecessarily stall the cycle that is currently taking place.