PDA

View Full Version : wrap ro/di feed around baseboard hot water?

malawinovice
04/01/2012, 07:20 PM
any one?

will keep water warm?

should help with winter making of ro/di

LISound
04/01/2012, 07:24 PM
do you use a heater? the water will just cool down otherwise. even if you are heating into the holding tank.
why are you trying to keep ro/di water warm?

jmowbray
04/01/2012, 07:25 PM
I'd say no. The outside of your water heater should not be warm anyway. If it is I would get a new water heater.

An easier method is to by a role of hose ( I think it comes in 50ft) make your connections from the source to the filter and place the remainder of the hose in a 5 gallon pail. Then fill with water, put a small powerhead in and an aquarium heater. Now your good to go.

jong11
04/01/2012, 07:28 PM
You don't want to run warm or hot water through your rodi filter. Also I don't think it would have enough contact time to actually heat the water. Do you store water or just run it straight into your tank?

jmowbray
04/01/2012, 07:29 PM
do you use a heater? the water will just cool down otherwise. even if you are heating into the holding tank.

Water is optimally ran through the RO membrane at 60-70F. Actually I think all RO membranes are rated for 77F water. I know in my case I have well water. My water comes in at a freezing 48F therefore I heat it before I process it.

malawinovice
04/01/2012, 07:49 PM
I have forced hot water as my house heating. These pipes run to baseboard registars that heat the house.

I was thinking of wrapping a few loops around the pipes that feed my house baseboard heat.

peppie
04/01/2012, 08:41 PM
I have forced hot water as my house heating. These pipes run to baseboard registars that heat the house.

I was thinking of wrapping a few loops around the pipes that feed my house baseboard heat.

I think it is a good idea, but the more loops the better. Maybe 30 to 50' worth, more contact time.

Buckeye Hydro
04/02/2012, 04:08 AM
An easier method is to by a role of hose ( I think it comes in 50ft) make your connections from the source to the filter and place the remainder of the hose in a 5 gallon pail. Then fill with water, put a small powerhead in and an aquarium heater. Now your good to go.

You'll find that anything over about 20-25' of 1/4" tubing will reduce the pressure reaching your RO.

The PE tubing is a pretty good insulator.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
04/02/2012, 04:10 AM
Water is optimally ran through the RO membrane at 60-70F. Actually I think all RO membranes are rated for 77F water.

Manufacturers specify membrane performance under a standard set of conditions, including water pressure and water temperature. There's really nothing "ideal" about these conditions - they are just standard test conditions.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/BuckeyeFS/ROMembraneFactorySpecs-1.jpg

porksmash
04/02/2012, 01:18 PM
I'd disagree and say those standard conditions are probably pretty close to ideal. That way they can advertise the absolute best performance the membrane is capable of.

low riderr
04/02/2012, 02:05 PM
i did this.and it did warm the water some. BUT a year or so later i got a phone call from my girlfriend that there was a mist in the basement and water on the floor. as it turns out the tubbing failed due to the heat of the boiler water going through the pipe it was wrapped around. this was at the point where the boiler water is at its coolest,right before it goes back outside to the boiler. so i dont warm my water anymore.if you do this take precautions wet floors suck and so do pi$$ed girlfreinds.

Buckeye Hydro
04/02/2012, 03:34 PM
I'd disagree and say those standard conditions are probably pretty close to ideal. That way they can advertise the absolute best performance the membrane is capable of.

As an example, performance of a 75 gpd membrane is specified by the manufacturer at 50 psi and 77 F. If you want to get purified water faster, crank up the pressure to 80 psi. You'll get 128 gpd out of the membrane at a rejection better than you got at the test conditions. Crank up the pressure more and you'll get water even faster. You can play "trade-off" games like this with the water pressure, and water temperature.

Russ

BeanAnimal
04/02/2012, 06:01 PM
[

Warmer water helps to increase the throughput of the membrane and reduce waste. There is no way that a passive heat transfer from the baseboard heater (through the tubing and into the membrane) is going to be too hot :)

QUOTE=jong11;20088172]You don't want to run warm or hot water through your rodi filter. Also I don't think it would have enough contact time to actually heat the water. Do you store water or just run it straight into your tank?[/QUOTE]

I'd say no. The outside of your water heater should not be warm anyway. If it is I would get a new water heater. Baseboard heat, not a water heat tank :)

To the OP. You could use a copper tubing or go as far as using a bypass style or counterflow style heat exchanger, as this is on the input side of the RO/DI. You could buy or build the heat exchanger. :)