PDA

View Full Version : When can I move???

sefrayser
04/02/2012, 10:30 AM
I have my 90 up and running. The skimmer is going thru its break in. I have a Solana 34 gallon that I need to get the livestock and corals out of. I made water from scratch and used cycled Live rock and Sand from Atlantic Sea Farms. When can I move the stuff over from my other tank? The sooner the better.

thegrun
04/02/2012, 11:28 AM
I would add either two tablespoons of pure ammonia or a dead raw shrimp to the tank and test for a week to see if you have any ammonia after that time period. It is impossible to tell how cured the "fully cured" live rock was and how much die-off it has had. The "live" sand alone may have enough dead organics in it to set off a cycle and the live rock may also set one off. I definitely would not rush into transferring your livestock until you are sure the new tank can handle the bio-load.

HaKs310
04/02/2012, 11:37 AM
Have you tested the water at all?

sefrayser
04/02/2012, 11:51 AM
No not yet but I will get my test kits tomorrow and test to see where it is. It been up and running with sand and a little rock for 1 day.

ah_notty
04/02/2012, 12:47 PM
I know there will be some that dissagree with me on this one but I got this idea from another post. I bought 50 lbs of cured live rock and let it sit in my new 75 for a week. I tested the water and had no ammonia. Then I transferred everything from my 29. Rock, fish a d coral. The live rock you have can handle the bio load you already have. Oh I also put some of the water from the old tank into the new tank. Everything is doing great in the new tank.

HaKs310
04/02/2012, 09:05 PM
Personally, I think you will be fine to transfer your stuff over but testing the water and being safe would be best.

goldenfamaliy
04/03/2012, 07:47 AM
testing the water is always a good thing to do before the move. Try to keep the temp, salinity the same too.

jong11
04/03/2012, 10:42 AM
if the live rock you added to your tank is really already cured you can just move your livestock over now. Be careful as your live rock might not be able to handle you bioload if you move to fast. Add, wait, test, add some more.

You won't see any ammonia spike if your live rock is cured.

I wouldn't add ammonia or a raw shrimp to the tank either.

drew2007
04/03/2012, 10:54 AM
Test first. I used fully cured rock and live sand and never saw an ammonia spike but my nitrite did spike. Definitely test before moving anything over. Better safe than sorry. Patience is key in this hobby. Good luck.