PDA

View Full Version : Black silicone - don't get it

Mybabynews
04/02/2012, 02:01 PM
Many of the really cool new tanks on this forum have black silicone. I suppose it's just a matter of taste, but the black silicone just seems to draw attention to the seams in the tank. Black silicone lovers - tell me what I'm missing! :D

AcroporAddict
04/02/2012, 02:19 PM
Many of the really cool new tanks on this forum have black silicone. I suppose it's just a matter of taste, but the black silicone just seems to draw attention to the seams in the tank. Black silicone lovers - tell me what I'm missing! :D

With age, clear silicone can get coralline growing under it, and can get discolored on the part that is in the water. Non issues with black, as it doesn't show anything through it. Just personal preference, really. I have both types, and both are OK by me.

Reef264
04/02/2012, 02:22 PM
Black Silicone is the bees knees man.

cdc84
04/02/2012, 11:25 PM
I have black silicone on my tank, gives the tank a cleaner look IMO.

robs.mark
04/03/2012, 07:33 AM
Me too, ive had it on all my tanks, much cleaner!

Hal
04/03/2012, 08:04 AM
I just got my first black tank, unintentionally. There was a miscommunication with the tank builder (I had spec'd out clear silicon). After much deliberation, I opted to keep the tank rather than ship it back 500 miles and have them redo it.

Given that I have a black background on my tank, and wood canopy and stand, my artist mother-in-law and interior designer brother-in-law both said stick with the black silicon.

I thought the black silicon would draw my eye to the edges, but I don't even notice it now. It's the beautiful, colorful things in the tank that draws your eye.

ganjero
04/03/2012, 08:06 AM
IMO I think blends better

Dugless
04/03/2012, 08:10 AM
Clear silicone always discolors over time. With black its nice not to see this degradation.

olemiss reb
04/03/2012, 08:20 AM
Black silicon blends perfectly in black background tanks. Also, never have to worry about the possibility of it "yellowing" like some clears do.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad181/jstari78/silicon.jpg

kalosbios
04/03/2012, 08:36 AM
Hey all,

Most of the commonly available commercial tanks here in France use black silicone--I agree with all the comments above about the look of it. The only tank that really stands out with clear silicone, in my opinion, is ADA. I'd be curious to see one of those done in black with as nice as their work is. . . .

ganjero
04/03/2012, 11:21 AM
Hey all,

Most of the commonly available commercial tanks here in France use black silicone--I agree with all the comments above about the look of it. The only tank that really stands out with clear silicone, in my opinion, is ADA. I'd be curious to see one of those done in black with as nice as their work is. . . .

I was going to mentioned the ADAs, they do look great with the clear silicone.

evsalty
04/03/2012, 11:26 AM
I am looking over at my 40br that has a mix of clear (factory seals) and black (my additions) and the clears are being highlighted in blue by the lighting. They actually are more visibly distracting then the black ones as the black ones blend in. The corners look like they have neon stips running down them...yucky.

tommy2fast
04/03/2012, 11:45 AM
Hello,

in clear silicon you can see air bubbles,if the worker does not make a good job...with black silicon,you can not see this ;)

Thomas

Whisperer
04/03/2012, 01:23 PM
I have one of each. The black silicon is softer and the edges have tattered over time because of algae scraper use even with great care. The clear one is way tougher, only with copper use will it discolor significantly. Coralline algae does grow on both and is visible on the clear. Bubbles are visible on the clear if poorly done, it is also visible on the black when situated directly against the glass.

j tavares
04/03/2012, 03:42 PM
once you go black you never go back, black silicone is awesome !!

Mybabynews
04/03/2012, 04:59 PM
Just realized my thread title sounds like I'm telling people not to use black silicone. If you've read this far you know that's not what I meant. Black silicone - I don't get it. lol

Fishie80
04/03/2012, 05:33 PM
Black with time also doesn't gather the cyano...the clear does.

Fishie80
04/03/2012, 05:33 PM
I have clear ATM and I like it when it's clean...but if any algae grows its less nice looking

coral princess
04/03/2012, 06:49 PM
I got black, because my stand was black. Besides that I think it look really nice.

TheFishTeen
04/03/2012, 07:06 PM
Black silicone looks 1000 times better. Clear silicone looks very unprofessional and is distracting. The only time I would use clear silicone is if the cabinetry is white.

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productcart/pc/catalog/empty_ecopicolg.jpg