PDA

View Full Version : homemade reef food

spicytuna
04/02/2012, 07:39 PM
Do any of you make your own food? Id like to diversify the diet I feed my fish, corals and inverts. I have always been into feeding a broad diet. I currently feed mysis, krill, rods food coral blend and dainichi pellets.

I was thinking of chopping up fine pieces of ahi tuna, salmon and maybe a white fish or some mussels.

I would freeze all ingredients seperatley. Anything I should keep in mind or look for?

Also any suggestions.

Thank you

Reefing Newbie
04/02/2012, 07:45 PM
I just attended a club fish food making party. We mixed lots of stuff together.

Some things we had:
Shrimp (chopped)
Scallops
Tuna (I think)
Mysis
Cyclops
And lots of other things that I am not remembering right now.

kriv4o
04/02/2012, 09:26 PM
Do a search "for blenders mush". There are a lot of good info and recepies floating around:lol2:

Reefing Newbie
04/02/2012, 09:41 PM
I should mention that my club has found that using a blender or food processor makes the food too small for most cases. This is fine of course if you have small mouths to feed. Even chopping by hand has caused the most of my food to be too small for my fish to go after (good for stonies though).

spicytuna
04/03/2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not looking for mush, I already feed rods food coral blend.

I'm just Interested in what other people are feeding. I will mostly be feeding small chunks of various fish.

So far my fish and lps have reacted quite well to chunks of ahi tuna and Atlantic salmon. I'm trying to stick to wild and fresh caught fish to avoid preservatives and antibiotics.