PDA

View Full Version : Hydor wavemaker - Should I get one?

91mini
04/03/2012, 06:38 PM
Working on my 100 gallon build. The tank is 5' long with two 3/4" returns. I havent decided on my return pump yet.

I do however have (1) 1400 GPH Hydor Powerhead and was thinking about getting a wavemaker and another Hydor pump.

1. What are the pros and cons of a wavemaker? I've heard they can limit the the life of your powerhead but help your coral to grow better because they more naturally match reef current. Is this all their is to it?

2. What size Powerhead (for the opposite side of the tank) and pump would you suggest in a tank like mine? Would you go with another 1400GPH or a slightly smaller one?

gbru316
04/03/2012, 06:43 PM
What are you planning to stock it with?

quest4JC
04/03/2012, 06:51 PM
I had two hydor 1050 running on the 79.99 wave maker and it made a loud clicking sound each time the pumps turn off and on. I ended up switching to 2 controllable koralia 7 with the hydor wave maker that costs $250, much smoother operation and flow. Check the reviews on marine depot , they're pretty reliable and similar to my experience.

91mini
04/03/2012, 08:29 PM
What are you planning to stock it with?

Not sure yet.

Ucyibd1
04/03/2012, 08:39 PM
I had two hydor 1050 running on the 79.99 wave maker and it made a loud clicking sound each time the pumps turn off and on. I ended up switching to 2 controllable koralia 7 with the hydor wave maker that costs $250, much smoother operation and flow. Check the reviews on marine depot , they're pretty reliable and similar to my experience.

+1 on the clicking, the repeated on/off actually caused one of my powerheads front diffuser to break off where the rubber bumper is located.....frustrating.

gbru316
04/03/2012, 08:42 PM
Not sure yet.

Ideal flow really depends on your stock list.

An SPS dominant tank, for example, is best with a high energy, chaotic, flow whereas LPS is better suited to gentler, slower flow.

iLLwiLL
04/03/2012, 09:51 PM
instead of getting another koralia and the wavemaker, might as well get a used mp40 for one side and use the evo for the other side.

~Will.

quest4JC
04/03/2012, 11:20 PM
Yup, if I had had the money I would have bought ecotech power heads

gbru316
04/03/2012, 11:29 PM
Yup, if I had had the money I would have bought ecotech power heads

A koralia and the hydor wavemaker will cost about the same as an mp40

billwill
04/03/2012, 11:38 PM
I'm running 2 sicce 2800 pumps on my RKL Wavemaker function and they work great with zero switching noise. You need stronger flow than that korallia size with a 5' tank unless you're just doing softies and like having to clean detritus off the bottom all the time

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

phasezero
04/03/2012, 11:42 PM
I would pass on the Hydor Evolutions on the wavemaker. I have their smartwave on 3 hydor evos. The start up click sound is too much and is hard on the rubber stopper. Hydor designed the powerhead so that the rubber stopper on the front grill to fail first. This becomes annoying as you keep having to contact hydor for replacements. The Hydor's are also very weak compared other pumps, so when you're doing alternating mode, the flow becomes non existent. The starting stopping also freaks all the fish out, causing them dart when the pumps alternate.

BigCountry74
04/04/2012, 08:13 AM
looking back, a wavemaker + controllable powerheads is something I wish I would have invested in. I purchased 4 non-controllable heads so I am stuck with those for now. I would get one for sure if i were starting new. for anemones especially.

allsps40
04/04/2012, 08:39 AM
IME wave makers are not really needed. What is needed for a reef tank is heavy random flow and you can get that by putting in a few power heads pointing in different directions. Or get a Vortec and call it a day, only wave maker worth a dam IMO.

BigCountry74
04/04/2012, 09:01 AM
if and when you lose a 100+ dollar anemone I think you will change your mind :D
hehe

tmc1313
04/04/2012, 12:36 PM
I have two of the koralia 6 wavepumps with the wavemaker and have been extremely happy with them. I also bought the phot cell that puts the pumps into night mode when the lights go out.

tmr11driver
04/04/2012, 03:02 PM
DO NOT PURCHASE!!!!!!!! Again do not purchase as you will either go mad from the knocking noise from yourpumps turning on and off ( oh... might I add, that is if the propeller from the P/H actually decides to start up in the right direction) , or your fish go crazy because of how loud they are, and whind up either dying, yes I said dying (as the noise from my 2 turning on/off made my wrasse jump out along with my mandarin go by getting killed by my tang jumping from the noise which hit my goby and knocked him...well you know ). So yea, I'd say no on purchasing both more pumps, much less the wave maker!