PDA

View Full Version : Glowing Jellyfish

BryanGoodson
04/04/2012, 01:42 PM
I'm from Tampa Bay and right down the road at Bahia beach in the summer we have jellyfish that wash up on shore and also are in the shallower waters that will glow like a lightbulb for a second or two at a time at random. They are completely safe to touch as i have picked up many of these beached slime balls. My question is can I house them in a tank? My main question is what do they eat? They are anywhere from 1/2 in to 3 in max.

Bongo Shrimp
04/04/2012, 01:54 PM
Pics? Got to id it. Doubt it could live in a normal aquarium as most jellyfish need a kreisil tank.

BryanGoodson
04/04/2012, 10:11 PM
Well here's my response to that unforeseen curve ball. I've decided to make my own Kreisel out of a 10 gallon tank and a 5 gallon jug. http://img.tapatalk.com/aefcada3-1a82-54c3.jpg
Early stage. Tomoro I will silicone it to the inside of that tank. I'm thinking I will fill the negative space in the aquarium With a few pieces of live rock and then of course install a powerhead. And then I will cover the cutout with mesh.

chrisv
04/04/2012, 11:12 PM
tagging along

Bongo Shrimp
04/05/2012, 01:05 PM
Can you get a pic of it? Gotta know what it is before you can plan on how to care for it. Although there is a high chance it will need that setup.

heckfire
04/06/2012, 06:14 PM
only way to find out is to try,, keep posting pics and tell us whats going on with this

BryanGoodson
04/06/2012, 06:24 PM
I made a spraybar and bought a powerhead and hose to connect the two as well as painted the front minus the actual round part and back of the tank. I'll post pics later.

Bongo Shrimp
04/06/2012, 08:45 PM
only way to find out is to try,, keep posting pics and tell us whats going on with this

Really? Thats like getting something at the LFS and not knowing what it is and just saying oh what the heck lets see if it lives.

If we can ID it we can tell you exactly what to do to ENSURE the best possible chances of survival.

Lets ID it!

correctamundo
04/06/2012, 09:00 PM
I have my doubts on this, but definitely interested and tagging along!

BryanGoodson
04/06/2012, 09:05 PM
If anything I'm giving it just as good or better chance of survival anyhow in my kreisel seeing as they just wash up on shore all night. So I will just take one and take it home and try to id it cause it's definitely impossible to photograph on a beach at night and that's the only good time to find them cause then there is nobody there and also they glow at night. Mine and my girlfriends and anniversary is coming up and if I'm not mistaken it was around when we started really dating that they started to appear. I hope I don't have to wait until the middle of summer. -.-

Bongo Shrimp
04/06/2012, 09:06 PM
If anything I'm giving it just as good or better chance of survival anyhow in my kreisel seeing as they just wash up on shore all night. So I will just take one and take it home and try to id it cause it's definitely impossible to photograph on a beach at night and that's the only good time to find them cause then there is nobody there and also they glow at night. Mine and my girlfriends and anniversary is coming up and if I'm not mistaken it was around when we started really dating that they started to appear. I hope I don't have to wait until the middle of summer. -.-

No you are right. If you were just going to put it in some old tank it would be a different story. Just get a pic once you have it.

correctamundo
04/06/2012, 09:21 PM
Its good that your going to try save one. It would just die anyway.
I'm just not too optimistic on the outcome. :p

BryanGoodson
04/06/2012, 09:28 PM
Its good that your going to try save one. It would just die anyway.
I'm just not too optimistic on the outcome. :p

I just want a nightlight! Haha jk I've always wondered if you could keep those I figured I'd set up tank 4 to find out.

BryanGoodson
04/06/2012, 09:33 PM
...which leads me to the update on my tank build. I know it's no jelliquarium but unfortunately I don't have several thousand dollars to blow lol so here ya go. Made it as I said before with the middle of a zephyrhills jug and a 10 gallon tank. Today I decided I would paint all but a porthole. http://img.tapatalk.com/aefe811a-b48c-2060.jpg
Then here is the open space that will hold the powerhead and what live rock I can fit into it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefe811a-b4c4-bce9.jpg
And here is a view of the spraybar I made from PVC along with the cutout that will be covered with mesh to allow water exchange.
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefe811a-b519-c94d.jpg
All in all for what it cost me (25powerhead+2.50pvc) I am quite happy with it so far. But still a work in progress. If anyone has any advice or improvement ideas please feel free to throw them at me.

harleychic
04/07/2012, 10:40 PM
tagging along, really interested to see how it turns out!!

BryanGoodson
04/08/2012, 01:14 AM
tagging along

I have my doubts on this, but definitely interested and tagging along!

tagging along, really interested to see how it turns out!!

Tagging along also.

welcome. welcome. welcome. welcome.

wnppmy
04/08/2012, 06:50 AM
Check out jellyfish art, I have the 8 gallon jelly tank, far as food they supply a special plankton brine frozen food, each day a miracle for me as jelly month old. Looks like a nice tank there, keep us posted, excuse me have to feed my just born jelly. Good luck.

ken55
04/08/2012, 08:47 AM
I think it's way cool that you are even trying this.

Mayby a silly question but when they become available are you just going to pick one up off the sand or try to get one in the breakers? Just curious as I would think one already on the beach would have less chance of survival.

I'd like to tag along also....... Good Luck:thumbsup:

Bk2Reefin
04/08/2012, 09:24 AM
nice setup

mkbtank
04/08/2012, 11:38 AM
Subscribed

heckfire
04/08/2012, 03:31 PM
i wonder if this is what your seeing http://www.earthlife.net/inverts/ctenophora.html

BryanGoodson
04/08/2012, 04:24 PM
i wonder if this is what your seeing http://www.earthlife.net/inverts/ctenophora.html

Nope unfortunately I know they aren't combs.

BryanGoodson
04/08/2012, 04:38 PM
I think it's way cool that you are even trying this.

Mayby a silly question but when they become available are you just going to pick one up off the sand or try to get one in the breakers? Just curious as I would think one already on the beach would have less chance of survival.

I'd like to tag along also....... Good Luck:thumbsup:
Thank you and welcome aboard.

nice setup
Thank ya!

Subscribed
Welcome welcome.

BryanGoodson
04/08/2012, 04:55 PM
The more I read the more it makes sense that they are combs, however they don't look like the combs I've seen before. But we will find out!

kakalakasha
04/08/2012, 05:56 PM
I live in the bay area and also see these all the time. They are definitely comb jellies, or Ctenophores, but not sure what they are specifically. Never thought about trying to keep them, very interesting idea!

velvetelvis
04/08/2012, 09:58 PM
Fascinating...will definitely be following along! :)

Nicholas41
04/09/2012, 02:59 PM
Didn't realize you were local until I saw the tank today on TBRC section. Looking forward to seeing the outcome! GL!

Dragon moray ki
04/09/2012, 04:25 PM
Tagging alon can't wait to see the jellys.

BryanGoodson
04/09/2012, 06:52 PM
Fascinating...will definitely be following along! :)
Welcome to the cool club haha

Didn't realize you were local until I saw the tank today on TBRC section. Looking forward to seeing the outcome! GL!
I'm looking forward to it as well I've been in this hobby only a few months and I can't stop, this is my fourth tank added to my nano obsession
And I just bought a 29 bio cube shell I don't know if I'm keeping or restoring and selling.
Tagging alon can't wait to see the jellys.
Welcome welcome.

TheFishTeen
04/09/2012, 06:58 PM
Do they have long tentacles or short? Can you give us some more characteristics to ID them?

Nicholas41
04/09/2012, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the cool club haha
I'm looking forward to it as well I've been in this hobby only a few months and I can't stop, this is my fourth tank added to my nano obsession.

Yep this hobby is great but easily becomes an obsession. Good luck man, I'll have to stop by some day and check out the setups! I'd love to have a small setup with an angler like you.

nano_reefer2010
04/15/2012, 11:43 PM
If they are Ctenophore's I am super excited about this!!! I was actually building a kreisel tank in the prospect that I could order some, but the supplier I was going to use stopped carrying them :( Definitely a fascinating creature! When you say they glow, does it appear that they have rows of hairlike structures beating and glowing the colors of the rainbow? Most comb jellies refract light this way.

Feriation
04/19/2012, 06:25 PM
Ooooh this sounds so interesting!!

I wish you the best of luck, and I've subscribed so I can follow! :)

Subw00er
04/21/2012, 09:27 AM
Subscribed!

heckfire
04/21/2012, 07:16 PM
sure has gotten quite around here....

Humuhumunuku
04/24/2012, 03:23 PM
looks good so far, love the paint job. Jelly tank is high on my to do list!

triton_uk
05/02/2012, 03:56 AM
This is really exciting! You might want to post this up at cubicaquarium(dot)com/forum.php, They have a section dedicated to jellyfish and they might be able to help you with identification and pointers on kreisel design.

ken55
05/15/2012, 06:45 PM
Are we waiting for the jelly's to arrive? It got kinda quiet around here. Hope all is well.

triton_uk
05/16/2012, 04:52 AM
yeah, any more news?