PDA

View Full Version : Is this ich? Help asap!

erinangele
04/04/2012, 03:49 PM
Ignore the tail fin, this fish had been bothered by another before i separated him. I have been keeping a close eye on him and noticed this white spot today. It seems even bigger now than it did a few hours ago. If its ich, did i catch it in time before it moved into the sand? I've had this fish for 8 months without any problems. Help.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/erinangele/photo8.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/erinangele/TIM_2313.jpg

erinangele
04/04/2012, 04:34 PM
Okay, i took him out of the tank because i was getting anxious about it.

Here's the whole scoop. We bought a used 125 gallon tank with a flame hawk, and a large leather coral. I had the flame hawk and leather in my biocube (this guy's home) temporarily until the 125 was done cycling. The flame hawk kept chasing this guy and when i noticed his fins i moved him to the 125. He has been in the new tank for about a week, then today i noticed these raised white marks. At first i thought it was sand, but now it's clearly not. Everyone in my biocube looks fine, so now im afraid that he may have gotten the ich from the new tank? Experienced reefers, what should i do?

Here are my thoughts, but i don't want to proceed without experienced advice.

-Put this guy into a low salinity hospital tank. (heading to the store to purchase now)

-Lower the salinity in my 125 gallon? Just in case the ich (if that's indeed what this is) is in my sand. My only concern with this is that i have a starry blenny in my 125. If i lower the salinity slowly he should be okay right? What about the leather coral?

Ianwraab
04/04/2012, 05:08 PM
Looks like scale damage from being attacked... If he is the only one in the 125 you shouldn't have to do anything... Even if it was ich... Witch I'm pretty sure it's not...

Ianwraab
04/04/2012, 05:09 PM
Keep your sal at 1.025

The mush would be fine but it wouldn't enjoy the lowered sal.

erinangele
04/04/2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply! What made me think ich vs. scale damage is that he has been alone in the tank for a week (except the starry who I added 2 days ago). I first noticed this white spot today. He did initially have a little scale damage on his other side, it was darker blue and has healed. The first pic is really a better representation of what it looks like in person.

Sk8r
04/04/2012, 06:48 PM
Could be lymphocystis. Go to the fish disease forum.

gonebad395
04/04/2012, 07:01 PM
Looks like a scratch

Fishie80
04/04/2012, 09:59 PM
If its swimming normal and eating ...put it back...it looks like a scratch...they heal within a week....
Rarely get fungal and die...but those are bigger deeper scratches.

erinangele
04/05/2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all your replies. A scratch!? Well I feel a little silly :) The good thing that came out of this is that Now I have a quarantine tank. He is in there right now and doing fine, I think I'll keep an eye on his scratch for a few days then put him back into the 125.