PDA

View Full Version : Kessil 20K Deep Ocean Blue a150 LED

that Fish Guy
04/04/2012, 11:06 PM
Has anyone gotten the Kessil A150 20K Deep Ocean Blue LED Light?

Pictures would be great.

I got the 10K and didn't like it so then I got the 15K and didn't like that either.

I am trying to replicate the color Corals have at the Frag Swaps. They look amazing there at the swap. Then I pay all this money and they look terrible when I get home.

My LFS recommends the 15K to everyone and says that the 20K makes the Corals look awesome but "fake looking."

I do not want to spend another 300 dollars again only to be dissapointed like I was with the first 2 Kessils I got.

Thanks

BlueLED
04/04/2012, 11:23 PM
check out this post and video. It does look nice.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/04/more-footage-from-fish-gallery.html#more-16858

Grendel0501
04/04/2012, 11:54 PM
I see one everyday at my LFS. They are very blue, very much like atinics.

I have 2 Kessil 15k's and also personally know afew people who also run the 15k, you're the first person I have heard of having a problem with corals losing coloring.

How long did you run the 15k?

Do you check to see what lighting the people at the frag swap are using? Probably alot of actinics to make the corals flouresce. Which is what it sounds like you are describing.

ganjero
04/05/2012, 07:15 AM
Has anyone gotten the Kessil A150 20K Deep Ocean Blue LED Light?

Pictures would be great.

I got the 10K and didn't like it so then I got the 15K and didn't like that either.

I am trying to replicate the color Corals have at the Frag Swaps. They look amazing there at the swap. Then I pay all this money and they look terrible when I get home.

My LFS recommends the 15K to everyone and says that the 20K makes the Corals look awesome but "fake looking."

I do not want to spend another 300 dollars again only to be dissapointed like I was with the first 2 Kessils I got.

Thanks
They usually use very blue bulbs at swaps to get people's attention. Jason Fox usually have royal blue LEDs over his frags at the swaps but when you ask him about specific frags they usually have been raised under T5's and/or whiter lights.

I've also looking for reviews/experiences for the deep ocean blue version. All I keep finding is people use it as an actinic bulb (Dask/Dawn or mixed with the 10k), unfortunately they don't show me pictures. I'm not sure how effective this light alone (the deep ocean blue version) can be at keeping corals healthy.

Good colors as you probably heard before are archived with good quality water, and these very blue light will bring out the fluorescent colors but again, I'm not sure if you can successfully keep corals healthy and maintain those colors using just a light this blue.

ganjero
04/05/2012, 07:22 AM
check out this post and video. It does look nice.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/04/more-footage-from-fish-gallery.html#more-16858

That tank is under the Ocean Blue (15k which in reality is closer to 20k) not the deep ocean blue and the OP already stated he was not happy with it.
To the OP IMO if you did not see your corals pop with the ocean blue version you won't see a big difference with the deep ocean blue. I would look into water quality, feeding corals, and flow.

laredo300c
04/05/2012, 08:14 AM
I have a combo of 10k and 15k on each side of my 120g. And I like it........I agree that the 10k by itself Is too white, and the 15k( which is my favorite) is a tad too blue, but once mixed, they truly look awesome

I saw the deep ocean blue at a lfs and didn't like it, way too blue for my taste.

Search kessil a150w on YouTube and look at the different marinedepot videos, they have a video where they alternate all the different kessils and combo them up.

That's how I decided to blend my lights