PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Question

MaineReef88
04/05/2012, 09:30 AM
I have a question about using seachem Reef Calcium.
I tested my calcium a few weeks ago and it was around 380, So I decided to start adding Seachem Reef Calcium to bring the level up, as I had seen on here and on the sites I buy coral, that it is recomended the calcium be between 420-450 range. I noticed however the Seachem Bottle says if using there product a level of 380 is fine.. IS THIS TRUE? what is the logic behind it? Do I stop at the 380 or do I bring it up? and is the the product I should be using ( I am not in a position to use reactors, or other complicated things) I just need a supplement I can add to the tank. Thought?
Thanks I appreciate it!
Jesse

Chris Lakies
04/05/2012, 11:36 AM
U dont have to worry too much if ur calcium is at 380. I would still bring it up to about 420-450 though.

disc1
04/05/2012, 12:15 PM
Be careful with that polygluconate formula. It increases alkalinity by some unknown amount. There are much much better calcium supplements out there.

MaineReef88
04/05/2012, 12:21 PM
Be careful with that polygluconate formula. It increases alkalinity by some unknown amount. There are much much better calcium supplements out there.

I did notice my alk is over 14, What would you suggest as a better calcium supplement, I have a Kent Marine CAL/ALK two part supplement. Is this better, It also raises Alk though

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/05/2012, 12:25 PM
Almost any calcium supplement is better. Yes, that two part is better, but you do not need the alk part since it is already too high.

MaineReef88
04/05/2012, 12:38 PM
Almost any calcium supplement is better. Yes, that two part is better, but you do not need the alk part since it is already too high.

So a Kent Marine Calcium Only would be better than the seachem? Do they make a Calcium only version?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/05/2012, 02:31 PM
Yes and yes, Seachem makes a suitable calcium supplement ( it also contains some magnesium) as Reef Advantage Calcium. But it is no better than good quality bulk calcium chloride, like from BRS (aside from the magnesium, if you think that is an advantage).

bertoni
04/05/2012, 02:31 PM
The Kent Turbo Calcium (powder) and Liquid Calcium are both fine. The powder likely is more cost-effective by a wide margin. The Liquid Calcium Reactor won't work.

MaineReef88
04/06/2012, 09:20 AM
The Kent Turbo Calcium (powder) and Liquid Calcium are both fine. The powder likely is more cost-effective by a wide margin. The Liquid Calcium Reactor won't work.

Thanks! - I was under the impression from the DFS description that the powder can only be used with the constant drip method of dosing, Is this true?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/06/2012, 09:25 AM
Which powder?

Aside from limewater, no calcium supplements need to be dripped. :)

bertoni
04/06/2012, 02:43 PM
I agree. The Turbo Calcium doesn't need to be dripped. You should break up very large doses into smaller ones (no more than 100 ppm per day) and avoid dosing large amounts rapidly into a small water volume (like a small sump).