PDA

View Full Version : Giant Clam Poachers lead to Paul Allen's Mega Yacht searching for lost plane

returnofsid
04/05/2012, 11:51 AM
While this may not be exactly reef related, I feel it is, in a way. What started out as a Chinese Vessel poaching Giant Clams, in a Clam Reserve, has resulted in a search/rescue operation, for a missing airplane. Paul Allen's Mega Yacht, equipped with 2 helicopters, a submarine and an remote controlled under water vessel, has joined in on the search.

http://www.krem.com/news/northwest-news/146181155.html

doctorgori
04/05/2012, 03:37 PM
^ is that link viable?
eitherway, I think half the worlds wildlife is destined for every Chinese pharmacy or resturant near you....

edited to add: the page finally pulled up but without any article

returnofsid
04/06/2012, 12:04 PM
Hmmm, yes the link is valid and still works for me. It's a local News agency, here in Spokane.

r-balljunkie
04/06/2012, 03:31 PM
most interesting. these giant clams weigh hundreds of pounds and have affixed foots. you cant mechanically extract these clams from the surface. you have to go down and get them. a shame if they are indeed removing them. these are a food source for many locals too.

many of the fishing rights around the FSM have been sold to the chinese, who frequently overfish (IMO), or skirt too close to the islands (hence reef formations) instead of sticking to deep waters.

[17]shawn[17]
04/19/2012, 07:08 PM
hey that looks like my boat!!!

-i lie