PDA

View Full Version : What the HECK?!?!?!?!?

softieatheart
04/05/2012, 12:06 PM
The scenario:

Several months ago I had a Euclid worm in my DT that destroyed a couple Kenya Tree and a Wood's Polyp. The rock he was in was BIG.

I tried to break the rock open (unsuccessfully) and then settled on submerging it in club soda (3, 2L bottles!) for 2 hours.

Then I let the rock drain and dry a bit and put it in the, then empty of frags, frag tank to cycle.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Fast forward to the present:

Rock is still in QT tank, and I have seen no sign of Euclid worm. BUT I never really got much of a cycle, and in retrospect, I would think a worm of that size would have probably created mucho ammonia.......

Anyway, I have some small frags in there now that have not had any signs of being messed with. Tipped over a couple times, like by the CUC, but not ever damaged.

----------------------------------------

Last week I put a tube anemone into my DT tank. It was beautiful, but the second the lights went out the peppermint shrimp ran up and started ripping tentacles off.

So I moved it to the frag tank until I can catch the little SOB and move HIM to the frag tank.

It has been in the frag tank for about 5 days and was doing fine.

Last night something ripped into it. It looks like most of the tentacles have been ripped off or are retracted to only being about 1"-2" long. A couple tentacle fragments were floating around the tank or caught on frags and rock.

I don't think it was the power head, which is a good 2 feet away. Unless the nem moved down there, got it's tentacles chopped up, and then came back to the same place.

There are a couple TINY blue leg hermits in there, and I suppose they could be the culprits, but I kinda doubt it.

There really isn't anything else I can think of in there that would do that, unless I am missing something.

So what do you think? The worm is still alive? The nem moved and tangled with the powerhead and then moved back? The hermits did it?

I am leaning toward the Frankenworm.

Also..... do you think the nem will live? :( Pretty sad about this. He was beautiful.

softieatheart
04/05/2012, 01:37 PM
Any advice on what to do to try to help the anemone recover?

tebstan
04/05/2012, 03:04 PM
No way the tube nem moved and then moved back to the same spot.

I am hesitant to think the worm survived that... but I doubt hermits could do that damage either. Hermits steer clear of my tube anemones.

Maybe the worm did survive? :hmm3:

As for recovery, feed it well and it should slowly recover, as long as nothing is attacking it or damaging the body of the worm in its tube. It was just the tentacles that were damaged, I'm assuming?

secrest
04/05/2012, 03:07 PM
It seems to me that the more you don't want something in your tank, the more likely it is to survive a nuclear holocaust. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the worm.

SushiGirl
04/05/2012, 05:29 PM
If you never saw a body, I'd think it survived.

softieatheart
04/05/2012, 09:53 PM
As for recovery, feed it well and it should slowly recover, as long as nothing is attacking it or damaging the body of the worm in its tube. It was just the tentacles that were damaged, I'm assuming?

Yeah. Poor thing is out and full, just with mostly super short tentacles. I think 3 are still long. :(

It seems to me that the more you don't want something in your tank, the more likely it is to survive a nuclear holocaust. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the worm.

I am thinking it has got to be. Crazy.

If you never saw a body, I'd think it survived.

Yeah. I should have just cooked the rock. On my agenda for tomorrow.

TheFishTeen
04/05/2012, 11:45 PM
They're called Hitchhikers for a reason! Im betting he survived. I had a Blenny survive wedged into a piece of live rock for over half an hour outside of the tank. When I lifted the rock up he jumped out and I could not believe he was alive after spending 30 minutes outside the tank on a piece of rock. And yes, he is still living today. :)