PDA

View Full Version : Researching Getting A Mantis

MattyO
04/05/2012, 06:31 PM
So While I do my research I figure I would post and get some feedback also. I just set up a 90 Reef and will be moving most of my stuff over so I was thinking of putting a Mantis in the 29 Biocube.

29Biocube (about 15Lx20Wx15H) with 1 inch of finer sand and Stock PC lighting. Up and running for a while (dates in sig.) with homemade media stand but I need to upgrade the protein skimmer. Temp stays around 80-81.

I have done some intermitten reading but of course I am always drawn to the large and colorful Peacock. The Dr. says about 26 gallons but would it do ok in the shape of the biocube?

I would like to keep some macro algae and zoas/palys in there so I doubt I can do that with the chance of shellrot... therefore I am looking for a Smashing Mantis on the larger side, colorful, not nocturnal, which will do ok with the lighting.

I could also go with something smaller like a wennarae but would like to start with larger options and work my way down.

Again, I am doing my own research through threads and articles but figured it couldnt hurt to post in the mean time.

Any imput is welcome... thanks!!

TundraGuy
04/06/2012, 06:09 AM
The BC29 holds about 24 to 26 gallons of water empty. I love that little known fact.

Ok that was a random post.

To be honest who wouldn’t want a Peacock? But they aren’t the only mantis in the sea so to speak. The BC 29 is a great tank for many different types of mantis. I love my smithii he's in a 40 breeder and uses every bit of it on his hunts. The more you’re in the mantis threads the more you'll notice that the majority of us don't keep Peacocks. Not because we can't get them more to do with you should get an animal that suits the tank and your life style. The temps you’re talking about are hot the lights you’re talking about are bright the tank you’re talking about is a small cube your tanks is telling you to consider a Smithii.

MattyO
04/06/2012, 07:51 AM
I will look more into them... I have noticed a lot of threads are on smithii's so researching should be fun. My main concern is with the Peacocks the lights will cause shell rot, Smithii's are ok with the lights? I might go 1W LEDs down the road as the tank will be softies, but this should lower the operating temp.

united417
04/06/2012, 10:29 AM
yup a G. Smithii would handle those lights just fine without a real possibility of shell rot, so would a Wennerae. just to echo whats been said, if youre worried about shell rot at all,avoid a peacock and stick with shallower water species and it shouldn't ever be an issue

usatennisfan
04/07/2012, 09:00 PM
I've kept both small and large smashers and I personally prefer larger ones. I have yet to have a smithii but all my wennerae were cool. I just like the larger smashers because it is easier to see details on them. My peacock is in a 40 breeder and I have a few NPS corals in there but nothing else. For light I have a floor lamp next to the stand that is about three feet higher than the top of the water level with a 13 Watt CFL bulb and Charlie has molted once with no problems. My wennerae I keep in my 16 gallon NPS reef with no problems.
Maybe a G tern or graphorous or even a platysoma (sp.) would also do well in a 29 BC.

TundraGuy
04/09/2012, 05:38 AM
Hey MattyO did you decide on comeing over to the dark side of the hobby? Are you going to be doing a mantis?

psohn703
04/09/2012, 08:00 AM
i have a g. smithii, 2X p cilliatas, o. scy, g glab or grap, and an unknown (n wannerae)? out of these guys the peacock is far most demanding IME. he has no light on his tank and his own uv sterlizer, not really the best display animal (beacuse no light) even tho it has alot of colors. the smithii is my fav. he seems to always be playing and i love the purple spot with the white ring around it and they can tolerate light. also my cilliatas are very fun, not too colorful but definatly fun.

MattyO
04/11/2012, 07:32 PM
Def doing a mantis but still researching. I am really working to get my 90 reef up 100% ready for sps then got to figure out what to do with my fish. Currently the BC has a black clown, pj cardinal, YWG and pistol shrimp. All can go into my 90 except the clown as I have 2 black ices in there... My roommate is attached to the black clown and says he would rather watch him get eaten then given away lol. I will have to do a quick swap so that's how it seems but doesn't actually occur.

TundraGuy
04/12/2012, 05:15 AM
lol now that he wants it to get eaten once you get a mantis he'll never touch it. lol

psohn703
04/12/2012, 07:50 AM
a few years ago i use to keep a pair of gold bar maroons and a med peacock together. they lived together in the same tank for over a year untill i had finacial problems and sold all my saltwater stuff for a move to the new house. most of the time they chilled together in very close proximity like the maroons would be hovering right next to the peacock and the peacock would never even show any interest in attacking them. I THINK it was because he was a smasher and didnt want to go for fish. now if the maroons were in the tank with my large ciliata i have now or the large zebra i had back then i dont think the clowns would have lasted. i was more worried about the peacock then the maroons tho. they can be nasty so i was worried about when the mantis molts but he was fine the whole time.

MattyO
04/13/2012, 04:28 PM
Yea there is a chance as I am aiming for a smasher prob in the medium range.