PDA

View Full Version : Euro-bracing made my tank shorter - did I misundertand or get hosed?

Hal
04/06/2012, 11:04 AM
I had a custom 72x28x30 tall tank made recently. For some reason, when I accepted delivery I only checked the length and width. Last night I measured the height: 30 inches including the height from the 5/8" thick euro-bracing. This means the part that holds water is only 29 3/8 inches tall.

I had assumed that the functional part of the "tank" (i.e., the part that holds water) would be 30 inches tall, and the euro-bracing would add to the height. Is that the norm, or am I the one that didn't understand?

Masterofnonsense
04/06/2012, 11:40 AM
As far as I know when you talk tank dimensions, it is always the outer dimension, not the inner. You will lose the thickness of the material used to create your tank on your total volume calculation.

Hal
04/06/2012, 11:43 AM
As far as I know when you talk tank dimensions, it is always the outer dimension, not the inner. You will lose the thickness of the material used to create your tank on your total volume calculation.
So if I had had a center brace, would the sides still be 29 3/8?

ezerasurfr
04/06/2012, 11:58 AM
Last night I measured the height: 30 inches including the height from the 5/8" thick euro-bracing.

This ^^^

Your dimensions are always going to be the outside dimensions. Does your euro bracing "stick up" from the top edge of the tank? If you ordered a rimless tank custom built to 30" high, the outside dimensions will be 30" high. I'm not certain I see your concern or issue.

Hal
04/06/2012, 01:08 PM
Your dimensions are always going to be the outside dimensions. Does your euro bracing "stick up" from the top edge of the tank? If you ordered a rimless tank custom built to 30" high, the outside dimensions will be 30" high. I'm not certain I see your concern or issue.

Yes, the euro-bracing is laid flat, but rests on top of the vertical side panes of glass. My concern was that I had an expectation that the vertical side pane would be 30" tall, and the euro would sit on top of that. Perhaps a bad expectation, I now see.

I won't throw a hissy fit though if this is the way things are normally done, as it appears. Not that I'd throw a hissy fit if it wasn't, mind you. :)

cbm369
04/06/2012, 01:39 PM
Outside dimensions are the norm.

If it really bothers you, just send me the tank and then get one like you want. ;)

dread240
04/06/2012, 01:50 PM
outside dimensions... it all depends on how the eurobrace is attached.

I have a 210 oceanic that I'm going to eurobrace to get rid of the monstrous center support, and I will do mine inside the side panes, not on top so I'll retain the 24" height of the tank, otherwise I would be 24.5" tall with the 1/2" glass on top of it.

TheFishTeen
04/06/2012, 02:41 PM
If you think about it, it makes a lot more sense when you say you want a 72" x 28" x 30" and the builder makes the total tank height including the bracing 30", because if they wouldn't, people would run into problems with their cabinetry and all sorts of confusion, because they expected the tank to be 30" and it would really be 30.5" or such.

huseman808
04/06/2012, 03:33 PM
If you think about it, it makes a lot more sense when you say you want a 72" x 28" x 30" and the builder makes the total tank height including the bracing 30", because if they wouldn't, people would run into problems with their cabinetry and all sorts of confusion, because they expected the tank to be 30" and it would really be 30.5" or such.

This^^^

schristi69
04/06/2012, 03:35 PM
The devil is in the details. You should have asked for a dimensional drawing for the tank before construction. Never assume anything. Assumptions were made by both parties.

albano
04/06/2012, 03:48 PM
as far as i know when you talk tank dimensions, it is always the outer dimension, not the inner. You will lose the thickness of the material used to create your tank on your total volume calculation.
+1

Hal
04/09/2012, 10:11 AM
I think the key here is "If you think about it. . ." :D And this is why I'm normally very deliberate (my wife would say slow) in making important decisions. In this case: fail. :facepalm:

No worries. I'm not going to flip out over 5/8 of an inch. The dimensions aren't that critical that it's going to make any noticeable difference.

geaux xman
04/09/2012, 01:41 PM
i am kinda glad this thread came up. now if i do a big upgrade, i'm going to specifically ask for 30" height plus another 3/4" for the eurobrace.

Hal
04/10/2012, 10:31 AM
i am kinda glad this thread came up. now if i do a big upgrade, i'm going to specifically ask for 30" height plus another 3/4" for the eurobrace.
And that, in part, is the beauty of reefcentral. Glad to help brother.