PDA

View Full Version : Molted or dead emerald crab

foundnemo11
04/06/2012, 05:59 PM
Bought a emerald crab last night and found it upside down dead . It was kind of pale w a tiny hole near its belly. I read online it may be a molt. My question is the molting stages and also could it have molted when it first entered my tank? All params are good everything in tank are perfect. Also when he got in the tank he was hiding under some rocks until i seen him today(dead)?

The body looks just like a crab minus the insides seem to be gone. Couldvhe have molted or did the cleaners eat his insides threw the little hole

AquaReeferMan
04/06/2012, 06:23 PM
Most likely a molt. Can you take a picture?

foundnemo11
04/06/2012, 07:04 PM
Ivtook a pic but cat figure out how to upload from iphone im not at home to do it off computer

michaelr
04/06/2012, 08:22 PM
if it has meat in it still it is most likely dead. if it is just the exoskeleton it is most likely the molt.

correctamundo
04/06/2012, 08:30 PM
Many times the molt looks just like the crab. Even when you pick it up, it all stays together.
The crab is vulnerable right after it molts so it usually goes into hiding for a few days to allow its exoskeleton to finish hardening.

Ron Reefman
04/07/2012, 04:47 AM
Many times the molt looks just like the crab. Even when you pick it up, it all stays together.
The crab is vulnerable right after it molts so it usually goes into hiding for a few days to allow its exoskeleton to finish hardening.

+1
And crabs and shrimp often molt quickly when put in a new environment. I don't know why, probably stress? But I've seen it happen several times.

cbm369
04/07/2012, 08:16 AM
+1 to what Ron said.

My peppermint molted within 3 days of being put in my tank. My Skunk Cleaner molted after about 2 weeks of going in.

Salty88
04/07/2012, 11:34 AM
my pistol and fire shrimp both molted within 2 days of adding them. Like they said above, if it just looks like his skin, no meat, its a molt. either they are super happy or just stressed. my fire shrimp eats like a pig and has molted twice in less than 3 months. i consider it a good sign. plus everything in my tank gets an all natural snack out of the shell.

RobE
04/07/2012, 12:42 PM
I agree with the above. I put an emerald in my tank and thought it had died within 2 days . It turned out it was just a molt he showed up a few days after perfectly fine.

SoLiD
04/07/2012, 12:49 PM
Crabs will molt perfect copies of there previous selves. It kind of creepy.

Whisperer
04/07/2012, 03:23 PM
If the eyes are not present, it is likely a molt. If the eyes are intact (you can see them in their socket), it is likely dead.

cloak
04/07/2012, 03:54 PM
Just grab it & give it a good whiff. You'll know... ;)