PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Bulkhead??

sefrayser
04/06/2012, 06:05 PM
I noticed the one of my bulkheads is dripping a very little. It is dripping about 4-5 drops and hour. I know it doesnt sound like much but Im afraid over time it may get worse. The bad thing is it is a main drain in the display for the tank. The water is running down the threads on the bulkhead. I am afraid to tighten it to much and have the whole thing let go. Its on a acrylic tank so Im not worried about cracking the tank. I thought about trying silicone or something to stop the leak. Do I have any options? The good thing is it is dripping in my sump so water isnt going everywhere.

AquaReeferMan
04/06/2012, 06:22 PM
If its dripping down the threads its most likely not tight enough. Turn the nut slightly till it stops. Always works for me...

Ron Reefman
04/07/2012, 04:51 AM
If its dripping down the threads its most likely not tight enough. Turn the nut slightly till it stops. Always works for me...

+1
Don't over do it if it doesn't want to move. You might even try turning it the wrong way (loosening it) to make sure the nut isn't just stuck to the tank. My best guess is getting it even a 1/4 turn tighter will solve the drip.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Utah Fatman
04/07/2012, 08:10 AM
I noticed the one of my bulkheads is dripping a very little. It is dripping about 4-5 drops and hour. I know it doesnt sound like much but Im afraid over time it may get worse. The bad thing is it is a main drain in the display for the tank. The water is running down the threads on the bulkhead. I am afraid to tighten it to much and have the whole thing let go. Its on a acrylic tank so Im not worried about cracking the tank. I thought about trying silicone or something to stop the leak. Do I have any options? The good thing is it is dripping in my sump so water isnt going everywhere.

It happened to me when I bumped the pipes leading to the sump. I just drained to overflow way down, aligned the pipe, and reached up with some channel lock pliers and gave it a little more turn (1/8). That fixed it. Aligning the pipe for me was key and ensuring that the piping to the sump was secure and not pulling on the bulkhead at all.