PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Aquascape Please

Darth Vedder
04/07/2012, 12:05 AM
For those that don't follow my build thread (which is likely most) please let me know what you think of my rock aquascaping. I have a bunch more rock at my disposal that if not used will go into my remote frag and remote refugium, but I can't decide if this looks good or if I need like a small pillar in the front or something

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2733/1333778048417s.jpg

And another slightly different angle

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4163/1333778334600.jpg

And if anyone is actually interested in the full build thread here it is http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2133990

All input is welcome
Thanks!

Six2seven
04/07/2012, 12:10 AM
I think this looks very nice and does not need any more rock at all. However you will run out of real estate for corals with that type of vertical incline of the rocks

Darth Vedder
04/07/2012, 12:15 AM
Well if I run out or real estate I might have money for groceries again! Lol

The big rock on the left is misleading and has some slope but the one on the right Definately will be limited. Thanks for the compliment, I like it but being my first reef am wanting to avoid a major mistake that would cause a tear down and rebuild so thought I'd get the expert opinions before I add sand and water

Mel-E-Mel
04/07/2012, 12:15 AM
I like it too. Do you have the rocks cemented like that? If not, I would suggest putting starboard under your rock incase the structure collapses. Plus, it will evenly distribute the pressure point on the glass bottom reducing your chances of a crack.

Darth Vedder
04/07/2012, 12:16 AM
I have it epoxied together with reef safe epoxy putty

gamecockfan803
04/07/2012, 12:20 AM
I think it looks fine going to make a great reef tank keep the pics coming!

Darth Vedder
04/07/2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks, seems like the last few months has been years, I'm getting close to start cycling and starting to feel like I actually have a tank and not just a mess of parts

Meshmez
04/07/2012, 12:36 AM
I like it. I think you should leave it as is for now, maybe in the future add something in the front center, like a single large "showpiece" coral, or a small island of zoas or ricordias.

slapshot
04/07/2012, 12:59 AM
Looks sweet to me

Darth Vedder
04/07/2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks

Salty88
04/07/2012, 11:44 AM
if i had to add one thing i would say maybe make a few more hiding places for the fish with some other rocks. the rocks look large, so there is gonna be less places than if you used a higher number of smaller rocks to create this look. shouldnt be hard. but thats just finding fault where fault isnt really needed. it looks great.

mattsilvester
04/07/2012, 01:51 PM
if i had to add one thing i would say maybe make a few more hiding places for the fish with some other rocks. the rocks look large, so there is gonna be less places than if you used a higher number of smaller rocks to create this look. shouldnt be hard. but thats just finding fault where fault isnt really needed. it looks great.

I'm with Salty on this - it is as such finding fault where there is none, but it depends on what your stocking ambitions are with respect to fish, and corals.

Corals - well you can probably use superglue and epoxy to fix frangs and/or corals to those steep walls, and once they "take" they'll look great. Fish however - well I suppose alot depends on the tank size (looks like a 120 gal?) but if you had hoped to keep multiple dwarf angels, multiple tangs, etc. then as Salty points out it looks as though there are not many "nooks and crannies" for fish to escape and evade through, or shelter in.

Looks great though - aestheticaly, I can suggest no improvement :thumbsup:

Darth Vedder
04/07/2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advice

It is a 120 gallon. I'm not yet totally settled on a stocking list, but I have a bunch of rock so I think I'll make some smaller pieces out if it for some extra hiding places and put those on top the sand bed. I'll update with some pictures when I get that comp,eyed tonight

As always thanks for the input, I'm still learning so experience is always appreciated

mattsilvester
04/07/2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the advice

It is a 120 gallon. I'm not yet totally settled on a stocking list, but I have a bunch of rock so I think I'll make some smaller pieces out if it for some extra hiding places and put those on top the sand bed. I'll update with some pictures when I get that comp,eyed tonight

As always thanks for the input, I'm still learning so experience is always appreciated

Truthfully, I wouldn't mess around too much with it, coz it looks great as it is! At this stage, I would concern yourself more with a (tentative) stocking list, and react accordingly.

In my experience, reefer's tend to gravitate toward one-of-two catagories: those for whom corals are a back drop for their prized fish collection, and those for who the fish are just a feature to make their reef look more realistic.

Personally, I am of the former; hence I would aqua-scape it accordingly. But if you intend to have (say) a yellow tang and a handful of small active reef fishes then they will find adequate refuge in the structure you have provided. If on the other hand you are going to be posting threads (in the future) like " how many tangs for a 120"; "what full size angels are reef safe"; "can I house multiple drawf angels in my 120"; "are there any reef safe butterflies"; and so on - then what you have will probably need to be revised entirely, not just adding "some smaller pieces" for "extra hiding places ..... on top the sand bed". Mention of a sand implies further that the nice big cavern under the big lump of rock will be burried and hence unusable by bigger fish.

So...... I would consdier what you intend to stock your tank with, before you consider seriour renovation - because you have obviously put a lot of hard work into getting the rock to where it is now. But remember, the rockwork is just the stage for your display - to change it will not "hurt" anything at this stage.

Is the large lump of rock on the left 1 big lump, or is it a few big pieces stuck together?

Darth Vedder
04/07/2012, 09:23 PM
I read on here obsessively so I won't be trying to do a TOWLR (tang only with live rock) lol

Probably some clowns, wrasse, inverts, a Benny, goby, etc. and yes, I am more interested in the coral as well. The under cavern on the left is like 6 inches at the biggest spot, so the Shallow sand bed shouldn't take it away (I hope). It is one huge piece of pukani I got in my 120 lbs from BRS. There are a few caves in the back and in spots you can see through it where a fish the size of a clown could go into the rock

mattsilvester
04/07/2012, 10:07 PM
I read on here obsessively so I won't be trying to do a TOWLR (tang only with live rock) lol

Probably some clowns, wrasse, inverts, a Benny, goby, etc. and yes, I am more interested in the coral as well. The under cavern on the left is like 6 inches at the biggest spot, so the Shallow sand bed shouldn't take it away (I hope). It is one huge piece of pukani I got in my 120 lbs from BRS. There are a few caves in the back and in spots you can see through it where a fish the size of a clown could go into the rock

In that case it gets my endorsement then :thumbsup:

No big fish; 6" high cavern and shallow sand bed; small fish with nooks & crannies big enough for them to swim through (which also means good water flow through the rock structure).

Looks great, looking forward to watching it grow :)

MARINECRITTERS
04/07/2012, 10:11 PM
Looks Great
Love the caves.... were did you get the rock or is it homemade.

Darth Vedder
04/08/2012, 01:47 AM
Looks Great
Love the caves.... were did you get the rock or is it homemade.

It's Bulk Reef Supply dry Pukani rock. It's amazingly light. I ordered 120 pounds for my 120 gallon and that is only about half. The rest is in my remote frag and refugium

jerpa
04/08/2012, 02:00 AM
The scape looks good. I think you will be amazed how many of the nooks and crannies in pukani actually turn out to be pathways through the rock. I've seen my wrasse go into, and come shooting out of, holes that I never imagined went all the way through the rock. Smaller fish will have no problem finding hiding spots.

Darth Vedder
04/08/2012, 03:34 AM
Here is what I settled on. I added some rock behind the two big islands for some additional nook and crannies

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7941/1333877527429.jpg

Here is the rock work in the entire system

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/8370/1333877647994.jpg