PDA

View Full Version : sick fish update

jeffisme
04/07/2012, 03:55 PM
I have transferred my midas blenny into a quarantine tank. There are two other fish in there as well. salinity is low, just below 1020. should I keep it there or raise it? how long does it take after setting up a tank to get an accurate reading?

i add the number of cupramine drops recommended. if the fish is going to recover, how long does it take to at least show some positive response. Right now, he's just laying in the corner and breathing hard.

thanks for any help. this is pretty awful. one more question, am I just torturing the poor fish by keeping him alive?

jeff

VeL
04/07/2012, 04:32 PM
Doing hyposalinity and copper at the same time is not adviced as medications are stronger in lower salinity (that is why Cupramine's instructions are to use half-dose for freshwater aquariums).
Is the tank barebottom? If you have any rock or sand it will absorb some of the copper. If you have some sand shifting fish you can use a bowl of silica sand in the QT (my watchman goby stressed out to death in my bare bottom QT so I suggest getting some silica sand if your fish needs it)
As for good results i suppose it depends on how sick the fish is. In my experience as long as the fish it is eating, it will survive if treated with copper against ich, at the right concentration of course. Good luck.

jeffisme
04/07/2012, 04:46 PM
he's just sitting in the corner breathing, didn't take any food at all.
now I'm thinking I'm torturing him by keeping him alive.

snorvich
04/07/2012, 05:14 PM
My original guess was velvet. The fish may be too far along for any curative process to have an effect. So sorry.