PDA

View Full Version : How did you remove your hitchhikers; how did you know the coast was clear?

mattsilvester
04/07/2012, 10:02 PM
Hi All,

As the title says. How did you get rid of yours, and how did you know they were all gone and the coast was clear?

Thanks,

MARINECRITTERS
04/07/2012, 10:04 PM
peppermint shrimp for aiptasia.
Personally I don not know if they are all gone.... how can you

mattsilvester
04/07/2012, 11:10 PM

My problem is crabs .....

Playa-1
04/07/2012, 11:21 PM
Hyper salinity dip worked for me. Lots of critters are made uncomfortable during the dip and they will crawl out of the rock. You can choose what you keep. In my case I had a crab that I was trying to get out of the rock. The crab didn't exit the rock but he came out of his hole and I was able to take him out. That is after months of trying to fish him out of there with traps and bait. I believe the dip was at 1.030 but It's been a long time ago so I would recommend that you research it.

mattsilvester
04/07/2012, 11:36 PM
Hyper salinity dip worked for me. Lots of critters are made uncomfortable during the dip and they will crawl out of the rock. You can choose what you keep. In my case I had a crab that I was trying to get out of the rock. The crab didn't exit the rock but he came out of his hole and I was able to take him out. That is after months of trying to fish him out of there with traps and bait. I believe the dip was at 1.030 but It's been a long time ago so I would recommend that you research it.

All the rockwork is drilled together with rods and epoxy'd together :headwallblue:

Playa-1
04/08/2012, 12:07 AM
That will make it more difficult ;) Look at the bright side, At least you won't have a rock slide.

snorvich
04/08/2012, 06:51 AM
Get a glass, tilt on a slight angle, bait with a piece of shrimp. They go in, but cannot get out. Best employed at night.

thor109
04/08/2012, 06:59 AM
I spent a little time searching for crabs in the middle of the night. I grabbed them with my grabber tool. Maybe 4 hours over two weeks to catch 3 gorilla crabs. One held on do tight I ripped his claw off and he died a couple days later. Another got a couple legs removed , eventually he didn't have enough left to hang on.

mattsilvester
04/08/2012, 10:17 AM
Get a glass, tilt on a slight angle, bait with a piece of shrimp. They go in, but cannot get out. Best employed at night.

Steve,

Thanks for this. I tried before without sucess, but I'm going to try again. Please see below the glasses that I have at my disposal (I can get others if needed). They are 6", 4" and 2" tall respectively.

My tank is barebottom. I suppose I could fashion some for of mounting device to let me sit them on the bare bottom tank at an angle of say 45 degrees?Then let the edge of the glass touching the rockwork near where the crabs are known to live. Does this sound right? Which zise glass could you use? I could probably nest the shot glass (2" glass) in the rock work, but the 4" / 6" need to be on the tank bottom I would think.

Should I turn off the Tunze circulation pumps at night - in order that the crabs could easier track the sent of the bait?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/mattsilvester/glasses.jpg

mattsilvester
04/08/2012, 10:49 AM
I spent a little time searching for crabs in the middle of the night. I grabbed them with my grabber tool. Maybe 4 hours over two weeks to catch 3 gorilla crabs. One held on do tight I ripped his claw off and he died a couple days later. Another got a couple legs removed , eventually he didn't have enough left to hang on.

Thor,

When 3-4' away from the tank, I often spot a little claw moving, so I carefully and slowly approach..... but before I get close enough to look properly, they dart into the rocks..... then stare back out with their beady little eyes. I cannot help but feel it would be impossible to grab these guys..... and they are tiny - only about 1/2" across.

crobattt
04/08/2012, 10:52 AM
i'd use this middle glass, lean it up against a rock, that way when they fall in they cant crawl out :)

mattsilvester
04/08/2012, 01:00 PM
i'd use this middle glass, lean it up against a rock, that way when they fall in they cant crawl out :)

I've already set up the taller (tallest) glass. I will see what the morning brings and try the middle glass tomorrow if necessary.

thor109
04/08/2012, 04:04 PM
Thor,

When 3-4' away from the tank, I often spot a little claw moving, so I carefully and slowly approach..... but before I get close enough to look properly, they dart into the rocks..... then stare back out with their beady little eyes. I cannot help but feel it would be impossible to grab these guys..... and they are tiny - only about 1/2" across.

Wait another two weeks until you are really mad. Sometimes the glass works. I used a green led flashlite and it seemed not to alert them. I wish you best of luck.

sbaumann14
04/08/2012, 04:24 PM
i use a turkey baster. wait till you see a claw, fill the baster with boiling hot water (be careful!) and give the sucker a squirt! works great for aptasia as well!

gamecockfan803
04/08/2012, 06:21 PM

Copperbanded Butterflyfish will eat Aiptasia hope that helps :thumbsup:

mattsilvester
04/08/2012, 10:33 PM
i use a turkey baster. wait till you see a claw, fill the baster with boiling hot water (be careful!) and give the sucker a squirt! works great for aptasia as well!

Is that enough to kill them?

mattsilvester
04/08/2012, 11:34 PM
Used the 6" glass, inclined at about 45 degrees (used a chopped up plastic bottle as a mounting frame), touching the rocks. Put a bit of frozen food in there and a a piece of rubble on top to hold it in place - this morning, I hd one ;)

So, tonight I will be deploying multiple traps of a similar style - hopefully this will rid my tank of these little pests!!!

I'll take some photo's of the traps tonight, and hopefully pictures of the results the next day - so that others may learn ;)

Thanks guys.

snorvich
04/09/2012, 06:56 AM
I've already set up the taller (tallest) glass. I will see what the morning brings and try the middle glass tomorrow if necessary.

I too would use the taller glass. How did it work out?

snorvich
04/09/2012, 06:57 AM
Copperbanded Butterflyfish will eat Aiptasia hope that helps :thumbsup:

Actually, only some eat aiptasia. Some do not eat at all.

SweetTang
04/09/2012, 07:06 AM
If you can find out what hole he is in.....don't be afraid to resort to dire measures. You can gouge him out with a "poker" or mix up a little epoxy glue and create an "epoxy tomb." May not be the most humane, but will be an eye for an eye for what he does to your fish.....

mattsilvester
04/09/2012, 09:52 AM
If you can find out what hole he is in.....don't be afraid to resort to dire measures. You can gouge him out with a "poker" or mix up a little epoxy glue and create an "epoxy tomb." May not be the most humane, but will be an eye for an eye for what he does to your fish.....

I dont care if its humane or not :uzi: but I the network of holes in the rock is such that it would be hard to corner them ..... I have a chop stick close at hand - if the oportunity arises, it will be done!!!

mattsilvester
04/09/2012, 09:56 AM
I too would use the taller glass. How did it work out?

I got one. He was tiny. About 1/2" across. But I got him none the less. RIP.

Tonight, I have set 5 traps:

2 no. 6" glass, as per last night.
2 no. 4" glass, similar strategy, touching the glass lower in the tank.
1 no. 2" shot glass, standing straight up with a piece of rock on top so that it seems like a little cave - they may be stupid enough to jump in.

I will update accordingly in the morning. Good hunting :strooper:

xCry0x
04/09/2012, 12:42 PM
I was able to use a glass for 1 crab but the main gorilla in my tank never goes for it. I don't like leaving meat rotting in my tank over night =/

Finally went nuclear with one crab and took its rock out and threw it in a bucket of tap water, this last one makes its home in a rock that is half under the sand so removal is preferably not an option.

I feel your pain!

snorvich
04/09/2012, 12:46 PM
I got one. He was tiny. About 1/2" across. But I got him none the less. RIP.

Tonight, I have set 5 traps:

2 no. 6" glass, as per last night.
2 no. 4" glass, similar strategy, touching the glass lower in the tank.
1 no. 2" shot glass, standing straight up with a piece of rock on top so that it seems like a little cave - they may be stupid enough to jump in.

I will update accordingly in the morning. Good hunting :strooper:

When I went through this, I kept setting the traps (glasses) until no more occupants for a week. Amazing how many there were. Give us the results, inquiring minds want to know!

xCry0x
04/09/2012, 02:01 PM
The hardest thing about the trap was finding shot glasses! I realized I managed to lose all of mine in moves and never got new ones since I don't drink anymore, let alone take shots. Apparently the only place to buy a shot glass is at a tourist trap or attached to a bottle of expensive cognac.

mattsilvester
04/09/2012, 08:18 PM
When I went through this, I kept setting the traps (glasses) until no more occupants for a week. Amazing how many there were. Give us the results, inquiring minds want to know!

This morning I caught no crabs :( ....... got 3 pepermint shrimps though :p

mattsilvester
04/24/2012, 11:02 AM
I lost patience / faith / hunger for catching crabs - despite spotting a couple over the last week or so.... then I saw one this evening nested in a coral that I knew I could remove..... I removed it, and murder followed.... I was pleased to find another hiding in there too, and got 2!!!

Fueled by by renewed blood lust, I tried the glass trick again. Turned off the lights in both the tank and the room - couldn't help sneaking a peak before bed - SUCCESS!!! I got a big one - about 3/4" back shell. I spotted two more enroute to the trap, so I quickly retrieved my first catch (bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!). I am optimistic by moring I will have at least another one.

I know there to be at least two more. So there is probably double that.

I will keep you all posted.

Mr. Demeanor
04/24/2012, 01:33 PM
Try squid for bait. Seems to work very well for crabs.

mattsilvester
04/25/2012, 10:22 AM
I've been using a little chunk of home made fish food mix, with a few pieces of small rubble on top to hold it in ..... it includes squid, clam, shrimp, fish, nori..... just about everything ..... an really stinks..... I think the crabs love it :)

Incidentally, no further joy last night. Tonight may yield better results. I have spotted 3 sizeable victims this evening. Hopefully they are hungry!!!

Playa-1
04/25/2012, 04:22 PM
It sounds like you almost had enough for a crab boil ;)

mattsilvester
04/26/2012, 01:58 AM
The nights catch:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/mattsilvester/Prawet-20120426-00361.jpg

There are at least another 2. Before fishing last night I spotted one on the other side of the tank, and one which is bigger than either of these two.

Playa-1. I'm keeping them all in the freezer, and having firends over for a feast at the end :)

That's I idea - I should save them up, put them in the blender, and incorporate them in the next fish-food mix..... wouldn't that be ironic - the eaters getting eaten :)

mattsilvester
05/05/2012, 05:47 AM
Grabbed another one out of another in a head of coral a couple of days ago (which is one of the aforementioned two that I believed to be remaining - then I got two more on Thursday night as pictured below. I was expecting the big one - but not the small one. So its a bonus catch, but now its got me worried is there more that I haven't seen.

I'm going to put the trap out again tonight. I not going to feed today, so everything will be hungry and hopefully that will be enough to draw out any last few that could be holding out.

This brings to 12 the total that I have caught (that I can recall).

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/mattsilvester/morecrabs.jpg

Cloudburst2000
05/05/2012, 06:39 AM
I am keeping my gorilla crabs in a separate nano tank. I'm planning on getting a mantis shrimp soon so they will be lunch :) I used the glass trick also to catch them. I still use it occasionally to make sure I have all undesirable crabs out of the main tank...just to be on the safe side.

mattsilvester
05/05/2012, 06:52 AM
I am keeping my gorilla crabs in a separate nano tank. I'm planning on getting a mantis shrimp soon so they will be lunch :) I used the glass trick also to catch them. I still use it occasionally to make sure I have all undesirable crabs out of the main tank...just to be on the safe side.

Yes, I am going to do one last "hunt" tonight. Fed sparingly yesterday, and I am not feeding today - so hopefully they will be hungry enough to be tempted out this evening. I've got two "islands" of rock - so I'll put a trap on each island and hopefully that will do the trick.

I think I have got all the big ones now - there may be just a couple of small ones left - time will tell.

swichbeatz
05/05/2012, 07:00 AM
Now I use a qt, bare bottom, and dip everything before it goes in to my dt. I learned my lesson! Good luck!

mattsilvester
05/05/2012, 07:24 AM
Now I use a qt, bare bottom, and dip everything before it goes in to my dt. I learned my lesson! Good luck!

Well I never had an issue before, because I have always ran FOWLR tanks - with fish that would hunt down and kill them - now this is my first real reef tank - yes, I am learning the hard way.

mattsilvester
05/05/2012, 11:08 PM
Hi All,

Well, when I first started trying to catch the crabs, I was a little unsure of exactly how I would "lean a glass against the rockwork at an angel". My tank is BB, so that was going to be difficult. I did lots of searches and so on, but couldn't really find any more details on it - I must be honest, it sounded so simple that it sound incredulous - but with nothing to lose and blind faith in my fellow RC peers, I gave it a go. Hopefully the description herein will help anyone else that is having issues with crabs in their reef.

I enlisted the creative inspiration of my my wife for the task. She thought about it for a long time ..... maybe 2 or 3 seconds ..... then promptly informed me to "be quiet for just a few moments, I can't explain my idea, so I'll just do it". Mercilessly, she attacked a drinks bottle (mineral water) and produced this:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/mattsilvester/DSC_0275.jpg

Simple in concept, I was a little dubious - but let her run with it. It was "too deep to start with", or so I thought. She got a few pieces of LR rubble, dropped them in, then got the 6" tumber (glass) as per post #9 and it fitted perfectly. The rubble was to act as ballast! Genius. Here it is, set, and ready.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/mattsilvester/DSC_0273.jpg

The glass just sits in the cradle. So, I take a chunk of frozen food (home made mix which includes squid and shrimp and fish and nori, soaked in selcon, and mixed with brinshrimp and fish / shrimp eggs and enriched with fresh garlic extract (suffice to say it stinks to high heaven). The small piece og food goes in, a few peices of small LR rubble on top to stop the fish getting in and eating it and stop the fodd floating out. The glass is set in te cradle, then the whole thing pushed up against the rocks so that it is stable and provides an easy means of access for the crabs.

Credit
The credit for this device goes fully to my wife. As an engineer, I felt / feel a little embarrassed that my good wife came up with a better idea than me, and so quickly. At work, I often try to impart to my staff what I feel is the 'essence' of what it means to be an engineer'.

Engineering means the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes. It is derived from the word ingenuity, meaning; 'Demonstrating childlike simplicity'. Simply put it is using the minimum of resources to maximum effect in as simple a way as possible.

So - 10/10 to my Mrs. It worked brilliantly, simply, and cost practically nothing :)

Thanks
It goes without saying, thanks to the contributors to this thread for informing me out the 'tilt-a-glass' concept.