PDA

View Full Version : Another stock question: 125 gallon

LOU A VILLE
04/08/2012, 01:40 PM
I have a 125 gallon 72x18x21. Looking for info on what to stock it with.

I've heard the reef cleaners gives you way more CUC then they say so I was going to get a CUC for a 60 gallon. Should I get it with or w/o hermits? +/- to having hermits?

What about fish? I love tangs, which would you recommend? Other fish recommendations? It will have some soft corals.

SKurj
04/08/2012, 01:46 PM
one - to hermits is they may kill snails for shells

Reefing Newbie
04/08/2012, 01:54 PM
I would say no to the hermits. They may kill (far more likely than not) snails for shells as they grow.

I too have a 125. I would suggest a purple, yellow, kole, tomini, mimic, and convict tangs. My other suggestion is to look through online vendor websites to get a feel for what you would like. After you have a list, you can post it and get feedback on it. You can also go into your LFS, but don't buy anything living. There are tons of fish that I could suggest, but my taste and budget could very well be different than yours.

LOU A VILLE
04/08/2012, 02:06 PM
I would say no to the hermits. They may kill (far more likely than not) snails for shells as they grow.

I too have a 125. I would suggest a purple, yellow, kole, tomini, mimic, and convict tangs. My other suggestion is to look through online vendor websites to get a feel for what you would like. After you have a list, you can post it and get feedback on it. You can also go into your LFS, but don't buy anything living. There are tons of fish that I could suggest, but my taste and budget could very well be different than yours.

Thanks, I really like every tang I have seen posted here and live aquaria. Is a blue tang a no-no? I'd be glad to take a look at any list you'd make for me and post my favorites.

Thanks

LOU A VILLE
04/08/2012, 04:12 PM
Anyone else have any recommendations?

Mark Bianco
04/08/2012, 05:49 PM
I have found that if you get realy large snails and buy a few extra shells there is no problem with the hermits killing off the snails. In mine I have a Red Sea purple tang, a yelow tang, a blonde naso, and a blue hipotus (Dori) tang all get along fine. I would suggest adding the the Dori first then the other three together. That being said the Dori grows at a rate faster then the other tangs and will get big so start off small...

Hope that helps. One other thing the tangs and angle fish if you get any, really need a varied diet. I feed them mysis shrimp and seaweed one day the the next I feed them pellets and seaweed.

michaelr
04/08/2012, 09:20 PM
I have found that if you get realy large snails and buy a few extra shells there is no problem with the hermits killing off the snails. In mine I have a Red Sea purple tang, a yelow tang, a blonde naso, and a blue hipotus (Dori) tang all get along fine. I would suggest adding the the Dori first then the other three together. That being said the Dori grows at a rate faster then the other tangs and will get big so start off small...

Hope that helps. One other thing the tangs and angle fish if you get any, really need a varied diet. I feed them mysis shrimp and seaweed one day the the next I feed them pellets and seaweed.

8/ all those tangs in a 120! i wouldnt dare put more than 3 tangs in and thats pushing it. I would say no to the blue tang. they need a little more room than a 120 can provide. Also, i have 4 hermits.(all were accidental) Sure they eat some beneficial life but i doubt enough to dent a 120. Naso tangs are HUGE at adult size and need 300 gallons at least. Reefing Newbie suggested some good tangs. I personally love my Bristletooth tang. In fact, i barely even feed her because instead she eats my nuisance algae :spin1:

LOU A VILLE
04/09/2012, 02:28 AM

That is alot of tangs, might be fine now but I bet you run into problems when they start getting bigger. I'm not sure how I feel about hermits so i'm on the fence if I want them or not. Thanks for the suggestions though.

8/ all those tangs in a 120! i wouldnt dare put more than 3 tangs in and thats pushing it. I would say no to the blue tang. they need a little more room than a 120 can provide. Also, i have 4 hermits.(all were accidental) Sure they eat some beneficial life but i doubt enough to dent a 120. Naso tangs are HUGE at adult size and need 300 gallons at least. Reefing Newbie suggested some good tangs. I personally love my Bristletooth tang. In fact, i barely even feed her because instead she eats my nuisance algae :spin1:

Thanks i'll look into a bristletooth.

LOU A VILLE
04/11/2012, 09:15 AM
One more bump. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

reeferstace
04/11/2012, 09:33 AM
First, Reefcleaners is a great place for a CUC. I generally order from John several times a year. Hermits are opportunistic feeders and they will kill snails for their shells. I keep them, though. I have found that with the food I feed they don't need to eat things I don't want them to eat. I also keep a plethora of empty shells around so they leave my snails alone.

I would bypass getting a Hepatus tang. They simply get too big for the tank that you have. Kyle (reefing newbie) had some great suggestions for tangs. I would also urge you to consider fairy/flasher wrasses. They are very colorful, fairly hardy, and great additions to a reef tank.

LOU A VILLE
04/11/2012, 02:11 PM
First, Reefcleaners is a great place for a CUC. I generally order from John several times a year. Hermits are opportunistic feeders and they will kill snails for their shells. I keep them, though. I have found that with the food I feed they don't need to eat things I don't want them to eat. I also keep a plethora of empty shells around so they leave my snails alone.

I would bypass getting a Hepatus tang. They simply get too big for the tank that you have. Kyle (reefing newbie) had some great suggestions for tangs. I would also urge you to consider fairy/flasher wrasses. They are very colorful, fairly hardy, and great additions to a reef tank.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the wrasses.