PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Tabling Acropora sp

psteeleb
04/09/2012, 07:20 PM
I picked this up as a frag from another local reefer about a year ago

best if watched in HD
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ThBR5M5muTg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

anyone know what species of acropora it may be?

Gangous
04/09/2012, 07:29 PM
What r u running for flow just wave box??

Whisperer
04/09/2012, 07:30 PM
Very close to A. selago.

jg2269jg
04/09/2012, 07:35 PM
whatever that is it is sweet. nice looking coral can we get a full tank shot. thanks for sharing

psteeleb
04/09/2012, 07:39 PM
What r u running for flow just wave box??
It’s on the far end of my peninsula tank. It gets a stead up and to the right flow from the returns and a power head but all the motion pretty much comes from a Tunze nano wavebox as you point out.

Very close to A. selago.
I think your right, or at least very close to it.

psteeleb
04/09/2012, 07:41 PM
whatever that is it is sweet. nice looking coral can we get a full tank shot. thanks for sharing

thanks
here's a full tank video of the front of the tank taken in Feb
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ai-0KJOtZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mikid
04/09/2012, 09:44 PM
nice video............

coralreefdoc
04/09/2012, 10:13 PM
The true Aussie "Strawberry Shortcake" table is an Acropora microclados

With that said, this specific specimen is a striking contrast to the original microclados "Strawberry Shortcake" and is exhibiting beautiful PE/growth form in your system. Well done, psteeleb !

coralreefdoc
04/09/2012, 11:34 PM
Realized you were seeking a species identification for your specific specimen, not "strawberry shortcake" in general ...

I do not believe your specimen to be of the species A. selago ... Selago exhibits scale like radial coralites, whereas your specimen clearly exhibits tubular, compressed radial coralites. Also, selago is of the corymbose clump growth form ...

My "quick conclusion" is that this specimen is an Acropora willisae, albeit with a more branching growth form which is likely the product of a lower laminar flow region of your peninsular design

A good example of this would be A. solitaryensis' differing growth forms under low/high flow conditions

Dynamic_Reef
04/09/2012, 11:57 PM
Awsome looking tank glad to See some nice sps Tanks in the DFW area may have to come trade some frags One day

DaveJ
04/10/2012, 09:17 PM
Not sure Pete...

Ive seen the micro and nasuta varieties... the micro is more prickly looking stalks and grows in a pillar-finger pattern.

The nasuta is more of a tabling, but has rounder coralites and are shorter and not as stubby as yours.

Pretty piece tho!

psteeleb
04/10/2012, 10:41 PM
nice video............
thanks

The true Aussie "Strawberry Shortcake" table is an Acropora microclados

With that said, this specific specimen is a striking contrast to the original microclados "Strawberry Shortcake" and is exhibiting beautiful PE/growth form in your system. Well done, psteeleb !

It's no where near a strawberry shortcake (acropora microclados) but I'd love to have one. I just can't see forking over the kind of bucks a small frag is going for.
I had a upscales microcladus in my 300 before it broke, very different colors then the strawbery shortcake but still a great looking coral.

Realized you were seeking a species identification for your specific specimen, not "strawberry shortcake" in general ...

I do not believe your specimen to be of the species A. selago ... Selago exhibits scale like radial coralites, whereas your specimen clearly exhibits tubular, compressed radial coralites. Also, selago is of the corymbose clump growth form ...

My "quick conclusion" is that this specimen is an Acropora willisae, albeit with a more branching growth form which is likely the product of a lower laminar flow region of your peninsular design

A good example of this would be A. solitaryensis' differing growth forms under low/high flow conditions

Thanks for the reference, I checked the willisae and I'm still leaning toward the selaga as the structure is very close, the corallites are spot on. Polyps structure and spacing is also a very close match if not identical

here's mine
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/download/file.php?id=62338

and from the database:
Description: Colonies are corymbose clumps, cushion-shaped or prostrate, depending on the length of branchlets. Branchlets are thin and delicate. Axial corallites are long and tubular. Radial corallites are scale-like, lightly structured and do not form a rosette.

http://sdmas.com/corals/images/large/63-06.jpg

I'll keep looking and thanks for the feedback

Awsome looking tank glad to See some nice sps Tanks in the DFW area may have to come trade some frags One day
I'm usually game for trades :)

Not sure Pete...

Ive seen the micro and nasuta varieties... the micro is more prickly looking stalks and grows in a pillar-finger pattern.

The nasuta is more of a tabling, but has rounder coralites and are shorter and not as stubby as yours.

Pretty piece tho!
thanks Dave

jcw
04/10/2012, 11:00 PM
wow, wow, wow

how's the growth rate of those corals?

psteeleb
04/10/2012, 11:23 PM
wow, wow, wow

how's the growth rate of those corals?

thanks
I'd consider it a moderate grower

here it is in Sep 2010 when I first got it
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/download/file.php?id=46061

18 months later
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=184950&d=1334121656

jc-reef
04/11/2012, 12:05 AM
Love the HD video!! All you have to do is freeze frame and you have some nice macro shots! The corals have very nice colors...:beer:

Did you edit (color/white balance) from the video before posting?

-----

znotch
04/11/2012, 12:41 AM
Truly beautiful tank!

By chance, do you know of the name of the chalice in your full tank video.. around the 2:15 minute mark.. just wondering cause I have the same one

coralreefdoc
04/11/2012, 11:37 AM
thanks

It's no where near a strawberry shortcake (acropora microclados) but I'd love to have one. I just can't see forking over the kind of bucks a small frag is going for.
I had a upscales microcladus in my 300 before it broke, very different colors then the strawbery shortcake but still a great looking coral.

Thanks for the reference, I checked the willisae and I'm still leaning toward the selaga as the structure is very close, the corallites are spot on. Polyps structure and spacing is also a very close match if not identical

here's mine
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/download/file.php?id=62338

and from the database:
Description: Colonies are corymbose clumps, cushion-shaped or prostrate, depending on the length of branchlets. Branchlets are thin and delicate. Axial corallites are long and tubular. Radial corallites are scale-like, lightly structured and do not form a rosette.

http://sdmas.com/corals/images/large/63-06.jpg

I'll keep looking and thanks for the feedback

I'm usually game for trades :)

thanks Dave

Dave. Thanks for updating with better detailed pictures. The specimens characteristics were somewhat deceiving in the video. It does more closely resemble selago in the pictures versus the video, however, I still dont feel it is a selago. Perhaps the captive growth form is distorting the distinct selago characteristics ...

Given the recent details look into Acropora desalwii, a similar species to willisae

psteeleb
04/11/2012, 11:41 AM
Love the HD video!! All you have to do is freeze frame and you have some nice macro shots! The corals have very nice colors...:beer:

Did you edit (color/white balance) from the video before posting?

-----

thanks - I set the white balance before filming, otherwise it would be all blue. I'll usually use the sand bed or a piece of white paper placed in the hood to set it.

Truly beautiful tank!

By chance, do you know of the name of the chalice in your full tank video.. around the 2:15 minute mark.. just wondering cause I have the same one

Thanks - I'll have to look at 2:15 mark when I get home tonight as I can't view the video from work , but I believe it was a "no name" frag I got from a LFS.

ReefBeforeGirls
04/11/2012, 02:22 PM
beautiful tank and coral :D

I jelly

ReefBeforeGirls
04/11/2012, 02:22 PM
beautiful tank and coral :D

I jelly

Playa-1
04/11/2012, 03:48 PM
Great looking Reef you've got there :thumbsup:

Acropolooza
04/11/2012, 07:00 PM
wow what Led's are you running?

zibba
04/12/2012, 01:08 PM
Beautiful corals and amazing video quality. Your other videos are incredible too!! What camera are you using?

Veosk
04/12/2012, 04:14 PM
Amazing tank and great videos thatnks for sharing

daveonbass
04/12/2012, 11:39 PM
great looking videos, thanks for sharing...and congrats on TOTM.

tuawcxs
04/13/2012, 07:00 AM
Beautiful tank, corals look happy and healthy. Whats your weekly routine to keep tank clean and stable? Whats the cool coral at 1:51?