PDA

View Full Version : Help! Avast Marine K2 Kalk Stirrer vs Aquamedic 5000???

Nexenn
04/10/2012, 05:07 PM
Trying to decide on which to buy. The units are very similar. They are both stirrer operated, not pump. From what I can tell, there are 2 main differences. First is price. The Avast marine is vastly cheaper at $180 compared to about $500 for the aquamedic. The second is that the aquamedic is completely sealed and can be under pressure which means I can place it practically anywhere and there will be the least possible exposure to air. For some reason I like the idea of the unit being completely sealed but I'm not sure that its worth $320.

One important thing for me is how long in-between kalk changes I can go. The aquamedic is reported to hold 600g (4.5cups) and I emailed avast and he said the K2 can hold a max of 8 cups. So it looks like Avast wins there too, unless air exposure limits refill length.

Can anyone comment on the Avast marine product and how much air exposure there is (do you feel the kalk goes bad faster because its not completely sealed)? How does the lid sit on the unit? does it just sit there or is there at least an O ring or something to prevent it from turning when the motor is stirring?

ErikS
04/10/2012, 05:38 PM
Avast, good product & good people. Local for me, I was in on the thread for the 1st DIY version......it's tried & tested.

drw94
04/10/2012, 05:41 PM
I bought the avast DIY model. so its even cheaper. I can't really comment on if and how kalk will go bad. I had just made it a part of my monthly cleaning to put new kalk in. Avast recommends only putting in enough kalk to last 2 weeks. I really like the unit and has worked as advertised. I did have the Precision Marine Reactor years ago and really liked that one. The problem with PM is the pump impeller goes bad all the time. I think it is 6 and a half dozen of the other. What ever you prefer. The price drove me toward avast. Save the 320 and go on vacation!

jpelzer
04/10/2012, 05:42 PM
I have an Avast, highly recommended.

Nexenn
04/10/2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks you guys! You guys with the Avast, since the lid is so easy to remove is it just not that big of a deal to fill every 2 weeks? I was looking for something that was way oversized for my tank so I could fill it only once every 1-2 months or so. Do you all go past the 2 week interval?

drw94
04/10/2012, 08:34 PM
I do a month. 10 min max and it is clean and full again. I just spent 10 min looking for this thread.

Nexenn
04/10/2012, 09:05 PM
Ever have a problem with the stirring mechanism stalling up? how much kalk can you put in the unit at a time and could you extend that out to 2 months or does the unit stall up?

jpelzer
04/11/2012, 06:17 AM
The amount of kalk you put in is less dependent on the stirrer, more dependent on the kalk going bad, reacting with air. The top not 'sealing' is less of a big deal than where your top-off water is coming from... It will have dissolved O2 and CO2, and that's what limits how long a reactor can run between refills. The longer you run, the more of the kalk will have reacted and formed insoluble particulates. A month seems reasonable, but only if you aren't evaporating a ton (so no evaporative cooling).