PDA

View Full Version : one radion stays bright...

f3honda4me
04/10/2012, 06:03 PM
Ok so I have 2 radions, and programmed them together in a group with a custom artificial light program. Yesterday, one of the radions came down as normal in the evening like it should. The other got "stuck" on the daylight setting and never came down. Not until I did a factory reset on it, then reprogrammed the lights did that fix it.

Now today, the OTHER light is doing the same thing. Any idea why this keeps happening? I do NOT have the "traveling sunrise/sunset" option checked.

f3honda4me
04/10/2012, 08:06 PM
Ok so I tried this...

Sagaris-

I would recommend reinstalling RC6... after doing so, unplug all lights from power (and keep them powered down). Then, plug one light in via USB and start the software. It will prompt you to do a firmware update on the light. After the update is complete, unplug the USB and close the software. Complete this process on all four of your fixtures. Once all four are complete, plug one in via USB and open up the software. At this point, your fixtures should all appear on the device list and the software will function as normal.

Let us know if you continue to experience issues after doing so.

And I've gone from bad to worse. Now my software shows two radions. But it thinks the two I have are the same radion, and the 2nd radion in my software always shows as disconnected. So right now I cannot get either radion to show up as a wirelessly connected 2nd radion. It shows one as USB connected and the other as "disconnected" instead of connected wirelessly. If I swap the cable to the other light it thinks that light is the same as the first one.

Even stranger if I tell it to program the lights, both power off and on. But it only programs the USB connected one.

This is tremendously frustrating. These lights are all of 3 days old.

f3honda4me
04/10/2012, 08:07 PM
Double post

Bad LS1
04/11/2012, 07:27 AM
I feel your pain. I messed with mine for 4 hours the other night before finally getting them to work correctly. I'm still not quite sure what I did to get them working but they did LOL. Try this....

Unplug both lights from their power source (wall outlet/plug strip). Make sure your software is not running and the USB is not plugged into the lights. Now......

1. Plug the USB into first radion and into computer
2. plug that radion into power source (wall outlet/power strip)
3. start software
4. under tools menu select Factory Reset USB only
5. when finished resetting shut down software
6. unplug radion from power source
7. unplug USB cable
Radion 1 finished

Now do Radion #2
1. Plug the USB into second radion and into computer
2. plug radion #2 into power source (wall outlet/power strip)
3. start software
4. under tools menu select Factory Reset USB only
5. when finished resetting shut down software
6. unplug radion #2 from power source
7. unplug USB cable

Now both Radions have been factory reset. Next uninstall the software from your computer. Once it is uninstalled then reinstall it. I even went in and deleted any .etp and .etg files (did a search) before reinstalling software.

Once software is reinstalled you now have two freshly reset lights and new software. Now you can try to get everything synced back up. I did the above 3-4 times before everything worked correctly.

f3honda4me
04/11/2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks I'll give that a shot. What a pain! :(

Bad LS1
04/11/2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks I'll give that a shot. What a pain! :(

Yeah I do agree it's a pain to get them set up correctly. One time I had 1 Radion in the software that controlled both radions, then I had 2 and 2 but 1 in the software controlled both and the other did nothing. Then 2 and 2 again yet lights didn't respond at all. It's like the initial syncing of the software and physical lights is the critical part that can go wrong. Once I got the software to match the physical lights and everything named correctly programming them went great. Changing the program works great and even calibrating each light worked perfectly.

Stolireef
04/11/2012, 10:15 AM
I've had similar issues. I think many of us find the grouping and programming process frustrating. It usually takes me three tries to get it right. One example is that if I plug into my right light, the programming doesn't seem to take. If I plug into the left light, it does. I wonder if there is something like a primary and secondary light setting that I've missed.

Hey Ecotech guys. This would be a good place to post a written primer on grouping and programming, especially with the new software. What i'd like to see is a step by step as follows:
1. Open new project in artificial mode.
2. Program new project (eg, spectrum, intensity, time points, start/end day, test/play project, Eco mode for those with MP's)
3. Group lights (name each light, create group, add lights to group)
4. Program lights (force group scheduling, apply group schedule to each light, program lights)
5. Save project for use and modification later.
6. Open saved project, make changes, and apply to group created above.

I've watched your video and while it helps, a simple written instruction sheet for this would be very helpful. Would anyone else find this helpful?

f3honda4me
04/11/2012, 10:37 AM
Yes I'd prefer something written.

Bad LS1
04/11/2012, 09:17 PM
I'd prefer something written and I'd also prefer another video showing step by step where they load the software onto a laptop, Then update the firmware on two radions and then both of those radions are found by the software, named, added to a group, group named, and then a simple artificial program set up and even add a couple more data points to the timeline.

It seems like those of us with 2 or more lights have more problems then people with just 1 light.

ghostman
04/12/2012, 06:42 AM
I agree that the steps outlined by Bad LS1 may work in resetting the radions to the factory presets and fix the OP's problem. I also agree that a step by step written procedure for setting up multiple radions would be very beneficial. Both of these will perform the same function-provide work arounds for bad software that is unintuitive. I think we could all agree that the basics of the software are simple; group the lights, create a program, and send that program to the lights. Unfortunately, that process simply does not work. There are many users in this forum that have had to uninstall and reinstall the software 3 or more times during the upgrade process. With any other company or software, this would be unacceptable and slammed. I have expressed my frustrations in other threads, and now see that the same "supporters"of the software now claim that they experienced the same problems that I did. The radions are a great light, and provide a superior spectrum to my eyes compared to other LED systems that I have seen. Unfortunately they are run with second rate software that is unreliable, full of bugs, and poorly documented. I hope they acknowledge user complaints, and quickly fix the issues that appear in this thread as well as others.

GatorPharmD
04/12/2012, 08:56 PM
I have one Radion and I am having to program it every night. Initially I thought it was an issue with the Artificial programming. Now with the Natural program after night starts it remains on. I am being very patient but it is frustrating.

drparker
04/12/2012, 10:35 PM
I have one Radion and I am having to program it every night. Initially I thought it was an issue with the Artificial programming. Now with the Natural program after night starts it remains on. I am being very patient but it is frustrating.

Have you calibrated it?

GatorPharmD
04/13/2012, 12:06 PM
I have calibrated it almost every night.

EcoTech Service
04/13/2012, 01:03 PM
Tony,

It sounds like there might be some sort of issue with your programming.

If anyone is continuing to have issues, we encourage you to contact us directly by contacting service@ecotechmarine.com or by calling 1-800-785-0338 ex. 2.