PDA

View Full Version : water storage barrel - previous contents

tommy tomato
04/10/2012, 09:12 PM
i have the opportunity to get 45g barrels for the right price of free - theyre translucent so i can see the water level... exactly what ive been looking for

but... they originally had food for roses in them.. like a miracle grow type stuff. if i rinsed them well enough with water/vinegar would there be an issue? i imagine i would have a crazy algae bloom if remnants were left behind...

[17]shawn[17]
04/10/2012, 09:48 PM
IMO so long as they are cleaned properly there should be no issue, the plastic used for such chemical storage are usually high grade

as for how to properly clean a barrel holding such inorganics i do not know. dilute HCL? soap and water?

if this is just a white 45g double bung barrel check local brew stores, they often receve malt extract in these.

bertoni
04/10/2012, 09:53 PM
I would rinse the barrels well, and wipe them down with vinegar. That should be enough. :) I'd avoid the soap and water.

Ron Reefman
04/11/2012, 04:32 AM
I'd rinse them down with water, wipe them down with bleach, rinse, wipe down with vinegar, rinse and then fill with fresh water and let them stand in the sun for a few days (the Florida sun has great uv). Empty, rinse again and use.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/11/2012, 04:37 AM
The primary concern would be phosphate, which generally should rinse out pretty well, but be diligent with it. :)

tommy tomato
04/11/2012, 05:04 AM
The primary concern would be phosphate, which generally should rinse out pretty well, but be diligent with it. :)

So it would be a good idea to test for po4 after all the rinsing is done and filled with rodi...

Thank you for the responses guys i appreciate it!