PDA

View Full Version : Radion - Puck Upgrades

rainmkr07
04/11/2012, 08:51 AM
I know Ecotech won't comment on them; but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't make some predictions!

What type of puck upgrades do you anticipate from Ecotech?

Different colors? UV? More powerful LEDS (maybe 5w and 7w combos?)

vargomat
04/11/2012, 10:51 AM
More LED's per puck? Personally, I'd like to have an idea of how much $ per puck for the upgrade.

I was hoping this would be my last fixture for a while and I could upgrade cheaply in the future.

rgauvin
04/11/2012, 11:18 AM
I think the obvious upgrade would be more powerful LED's and/or more of them (I suspect the limiting factor would be the "robust" power block/adapter)

adding UV LED's or other color gamuts would necessitate either running more LED's (see point above) or replacing colors present on the current LED pucks, IE new pucks having half the red LED's and half the green LEDs but having UV ones in their place.

rainmkr07
04/11/2012, 11:25 AM
I would be surprised if the power blocks couldn't handle a large wattage upgrade. Right now they handle what, 118 watts? If the pucks were double in power, that would still only be 236 watts.

I am not sure they could fit more LEDs into the pucks. They seem full with 17 LEDs as is? But maybe a different color variation, a couple less greens and reds for UVs, I like that. And more power. I'd like to see replacement pucks for $100 each, maybe like this:

• 4x Cree Cool White LED run at 10W each
• 4x Cree Blue LED run at 6W each
• 6x Cree Royal Blue LED run at 6W each
• 1x Cree Green LED run at 6W each
• 1x Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red LED run at 6W each
• 1x UV LED run at 6W each

vargomat
04/11/2012, 01:13 PM
Only bummer with the higher wattage is that the lower power consumption was one of the +'s for moving to LED's.

I guess you could run them at 50% if needed...

bbart12
04/12/2012, 12:23 AM
I would like to see narrower optics for deeper tanks!!

rainmkr07
04/23/2012, 06:24 AM
I would like to see narrower optics for deeper tanks!!

as someone with a deep tank (27" tall), that's another excellent option. maybe they could have different optics to choose from based on various tank depths. that's a great idea!

keep them coming. i am sure ecotech reads these ideas, even if they wont comment! :)

SPSFiend
04/26/2012, 02:05 PM
If they offer upgrades in the future, I hope they offer them at a discounted price to their customers that already purchased Radions. At $750 a pop though, I am really hoping I will not have a need to "upgrade" anything on it ;)

kevensquint
04/29/2012, 10:27 AM
Hopefully with leds that simulate the light from MH instead of seperate beams of color that don't blend enough.

Billabong
04/29/2012, 11:28 AM
If they offer upgrades in the future, I hope they offer them at a discounted price to their customers that already purchased Radions. At $750 a pop though, I am really hoping I will not have a need to "upgrade" anything on it ;)

I'm sure they will be limited to just 6 channels that are already there, I would say that the exact same replacement pucks would retail at $100 a pair. and if they do make more extreme versions the prices will go up from there.

Hey,
Isn't it weird that the pucks are the same diameter as the base of the mp40's?

reefsurfing
04/29/2012, 07:10 PM
I would swap two whites for UV LEDS and two blues for purples and call it a day!

6 X White Cree Xm-L Neutral Whites
8 X Cree XP-E Blue
8 X Cree XP Royal Blues
2 X UV
2 X Purple
2 X Osram Green
2 X Osram Red

You may have noticed I upgraded to the XM-Ls to balance the spectrum and Output.
The two new colors could run on the same channel!

jameshongth
04/29/2012, 09:15 PM
I would go for the below combi..

8 X Cree XPG/XTE Neutral Whites
4 X Cree XP-E Blue
12 X Cree XP Royal Blues
2 X Ultra Violet
2 X Actinic Violet
4 X Turquiose/cyan
4 X Osram Red