PDA

View Full Version : 3 Banggai Cardinals, how likely will it end up being 2?

Mergo
04/11/2012, 10:41 AM
So I have had 3 of them in my tank for about 10 days now, the 3rd one was free for the reason that they can be sketchy to keep. I'm really hoping that all 3 live, but how likely is it that none will die?

NirvanaFan
04/11/2012, 10:43 AM
How large of a tank?

snorvich
04/11/2012, 11:08 AM
So I have had 3 of them in my tank for about 10 days now, the 3rd one was free for the reason that they can be sketchy to keep. I'm really hoping that all 3 live, but how likely is it that none will die?

In a 38 gallon tank, the most you can hope for is two. If you by chance have all of the same sex, you will end up with one. If these are wild caught (as I inferred from your LFS giving you a free one), the odds are pretty good you will end up with zero. Wild caught often do not eat in captivity. You should always get tank raised.

frothyspoon
04/11/2012, 11:15 AM
I started with three and now I have one that has lived for a while.

Mergo
04/11/2012, 11:17 AM
In a 38 gallon tank, the most you can hope for is two. If you by chance have all of the same sex, you will end up with one. If these are wild caught (as I inferred from your LFS giving you a free one), the odds are pretty good you will end up with zero. Wild caught often do not eat in captivity. You should always get tank raised.

The not eating part, all 3 have eaten from the first night I put them in. So am I still likely to end up with zero...?

snorvich
04/11/2012, 11:19 AM
The not eating part, all 3 have eaten from the first night I put them in. So am I still likely to end up with zero...?

No, if they are eating, you will end up with one or two. They can only be kept as a male + female pair, never a triad in any except very large tanks.

Mergo
04/11/2012, 11:22 AM
No, if they are eating, you will end up with one or two. They can only be kept as a male + female pair, never a triad in any except very large tanks.

Alright well thanks. Gonna miss the one (or two) that go(es).:facepalm:

snorvich
04/11/2012, 11:25 AM
Alright well thanks. Gonna miss the one (or two) that go(es).:facepalm:

Well, the odds that you have all three the same sex is not high. Your LFS gave you the third one so you will likely end up with a pair. If you do, they are pretty interesting as they will almost certainly mate and the male will carry the babies.

Mergo
04/11/2012, 11:31 AM
Well, the odds that you have all three the same sex is not high. Your LFS gave you the third one so you will likely end up with a pair. If you do, they are pretty interesting as they will almost certainly mate and the male will carry the babies.

Yeah that be really exciting. I'm going to get a part-time job at the lfs I go to, already got it lined up and the owner is going to teach me how to keep the clown babies if/when mine mate. So maybe the cards would, too!

snorvich
04/11/2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah that be really exciting. I'm going to get a part-time job at the lfs I go to, already got it lined up and the owner is going to teach me how to keep the clown babies if/when mine mate. So maybe the cards would, too!

For me, the cardinals are MUCH easier to raise. Sometimes they accidentally make it.

haftafish
04/11/2012, 11:34 AM
I have had two Pajama cardinals for a while now. No issues with either but also not mating. They hang around together all the time. Are they likely male, female? Not trying to hijack the post but just wondering.

snorvich
04/11/2012, 12:02 PM
I have had two Pajama cardinals for a while now. No issues with either but also not mating. They hang around together all the time. Are they likely male, female? Not trying to hijack the post but just wondering.

If they are hanging together the odds are pretty good they are a pair.