PDA

View Full Version : I have made a BIG MISTAKE

andyITA
04/11/2012, 11:28 AM
Guys I blew it.
I just bought a new Reverse osmosis system and I installed it and got it running (WITH THE MEMBRANE INSTALLED) for about 1 hour as written in the instructions page.

After that I realized the instructions said "run the osmosis system for 1 hour (WITHOUT THE MEMBRANE INSTALLED) to avoid the possible residue from the carbon filter.

Have I compromised the membrane ? is it really that bad ?

L8ndeb
04/11/2012, 11:34 AM
No, the unit will still work fine. The only thing is you membrane's lifespan is now shorter. One thing I do EACH time I make a barrel of RO/DI is check the output with a TDI meter to make sure I do not have to change filters/resin/membrane.

andyITA
04/11/2012, 01:00 PM
Guys....I got the instructions paper back from the trash can and I think there was nothing wrong in what I did since they say:
"For drinking or food related purpose, the membrane element must be flushed for at least 1 hour during which period the water produced must be discarded"
"When putting the apparatus into use for the first time, open the taps and run water through the system for at least two hours, during which time verify that the quantity of water flowing through the waste water ducts is at least quadruple the amount of osmotic water produced"

so the friend that told me I should have ran it without membrane and got me in panic was not right

89Foxbody
04/11/2012, 01:05 PM
that's why the BRS system is great, it comes with a flush kit. You can just close the valve to the membrane and run the unit for a few minutes, then re-open it to direct water through the membrane.

thor109
04/11/2012, 05:59 PM
When changing filters I pull the line coming off the last filter and run into a bucket until water is clear. Than I hook it up to membrane.