PDA

View Full Version : Radions: Not happy with them

FoxyFace
04/11/2012, 05:06 PM
I bought three Radions for my 155. I've had them for about one week. I can't stand them. They are very difficult to operate and set. I have a beautiful monti that is dying. I'm sooo disappointed. I'm ready to take them down and put the MHs back up.

surfjeepzx
04/11/2012, 05:28 PM
That was an expensive oops.. Maybe the light patterns need to be dialed in more??

cakemanPA
04/11/2012, 05:36 PM
I bought three Radions for my 155. I've had them for about one week. I can't stand them. They are very difficult to operate and set. I have a beautiful monti that is dying. I'm sooo disappointed. I'm ready to take them down and put the MHs back up.
I have a nice Solaris I5 up for sale that I would work a tree with you. All automatic

SWKustoms
04/11/2012, 05:41 PM
That too bad. I love mine and think they are very simple to program. Im not too tech savvy either.

sirreal63
04/11/2012, 06:14 PM
3 would not be enough to adequately cover a 155 gallon tank. I wouldn't wait too long before making a decision. You probably covered the tank well with three halides, but as we are learning, most LED fixtures will not replace most halides in a 1:1 fashion.

FoxyFace
04/11/2012, 06:47 PM
That too bad. I love mine and think they are very simple to program. Im not too tech savvy either.

Really? How many do you have? I always lose one on the programing.

FoxyFace
04/11/2012, 06:51 PM
That was an expensive oops.. Maybe the light patterns need to be dialed in more??

You're telling me. It's just not the same amount of light that I was used to with the MHs. The spectrum may be there for corals, but it looks underpowered for some reason. Maybe the MHs had more stray light and that's what made them seem brighter.

What's this "tree" thing?

Malign Reefer
04/11/2012, 07:01 PM
I had two on my 90 gallon and sent them back.

FoxyFace
04/11/2012, 07:12 PM
I had two on my 90 gallon and sent them back.

Where did you purchase them? I opened the box and the store I bought them from, MarineDepot, told me I can't return them. Otherwise, They'd be outta here.

Malign Reefer
04/11/2012, 07:18 PM
Local shop here in town, not online.

Malign Reefer
04/11/2012, 07:19 PM
Where did you purchase them? I opened the box and the store I bought them from, MarineDepot, told me I can't return them. Otherwise, They'd be outta here.

I should have put, brought them back. Not sent them back.

rl225
04/11/2012, 07:27 PM
Send them back, require signature, open credit card dispute the minute you get confirmation they received.

Mikez1207
04/11/2012, 07:37 PM
have you upgraded the software for programming?

rtparty
04/11/2012, 08:06 PM
Did you acclimate anything? Have you called Ecotech and talked to them.to make sure everything is working right? One week is nowhere near enough time to let things acclimate. Corals need time to adjust, if you arw not willing to wait that time, go back to MH.

kellerexpress
04/11/2012, 09:13 PM
I agree, 1 week is not nearly enough time to let your corals adjust.

tkeracer619
04/11/2012, 09:15 PM
1 week without light isn't going to kill your coral.

You can however burn the crap out of your corals in 1 week if you don't acclimate properly.

LEDs are not as bright to our eyes as halides.

Mixed_Reef
04/11/2012, 09:32 PM
1 week without light isn't going to kill your coral.

You can however burn the crap out of your corals in 1 week if you don't acclimate properly.

LEDs are not as bright to our eyes as halides.

ya right my LEDs are like 3x brither than a buddy of mines 400w MH to the naked eye. Although jis corals look way better!

TheFishTeen
04/11/2012, 10:16 PM
In my experience, the LEDs don't appear as powerful and intense as the MH do. They also don't have the same amount of spread as LEDs do (yet). The Radion is one of the best LED fixtures available and I guarantee you under the proper care and configuration, your corals will thrive just like they did under your MH.

sirreal63
04/11/2012, 10:29 PM
They also don't have the same amount of spread as LEDs do (yet).

I suspect you intended to say they do not have the same spread as MH do. This is of course part of the problem, you don't get the spread of light.

TheFishTeen
04/11/2012, 10:34 PM
I suspect you intended to say they do not have the same spread as MH do. This is of course part of the problem, you don't get the spread of light.

Not all LEDs alike, but a 400W MH can cover a space of 24"x24" comfortably, while the Radion maxes out at about that coverage size.

sirreal63
04/11/2012, 10:43 PM
You forgot to add at significantly less PAR to the end of the sentence. :-)

TheFishTeen
04/12/2012, 01:30 AM
You forgot to add at significantly less PAR to the end of the sentence. :-)

From what I've seen, LED/MH PAR ratings tend to be higher for the MH at the surface of the water and mid-tank, but the LEDs get better PAR at the bottom. It may be the result of the optics used of most LED fixtures.

SWKustoms
04/12/2012, 05:20 AM
Really? How many do you have? I always lose one on the programing.

One right now on a 55 with a few sps up high and lps, zoos, and softies all over.

Donkeykong
04/12/2012, 08:31 AM
To the OP, one week is not nearly enough time to make any judgement on a lighting change. If you are having a problem with the programming give ecotech a call, thy have great customer service. You say you are losing a monti, can you describe what is happening and maybe we can help determine what adjustments you need to make in the programming. But with that said if you are already soured by your experience, your best bet might be to just switch back and sell used for a loss.

gveng
04/12/2012, 08:44 AM
OP, did you acclimate the corals to the new lights? did you start at a low percentage (~30%) and then work your way up slowly?

Stolireef
04/12/2012, 04:44 PM
Having used both MH and now Radions, there are pros and cons to each. IMO, the lighting from the Radions 'looks' different from the halides and may not be everyone's cup of tea. I am growing SPS though with no difficulties at all levels of the tank. I am also having no problems with a clam at the very bottom.

As noted though, the light isn't for everyone and when I look at MH lit tanks, I think I might like the look a bit better.

I would agree with other posters here though that your monti is not dying from a lack of light from the Radions. It's much more likely that the opposite is true and you need to ramp up the light more slowly.

Oh and Sirreal, I think you may have overstated your case. I would strongly disagree based upon direct experience that three radions would be insufficient for a 150. The lighting should be more than adequate.

sirreal63
04/12/2012, 04:52 PM
You may be right, and we do not know the dimensions, coral placement or the previous equipment used by the OP. If it were a 36" tall tank it would be different than a 18" tall tank. He is either burning them or starving them.

BigKahuna
04/12/2012, 04:53 PM
I have monti caps on the bottom sand that are growing so big I'm running out of room for them with my 2xRadion setup over my 75. I was planning on moving them up but decided they are happy on the bottom so why mess with success. The lights were ramped up from about 30% each originally to now about 48% each. I've been afraid to go any higher than that because if they are flourishing on the bottom why bother. I do have plans to put these lights over a deeper tank soon so when that happens I am going to have plenty of cushion left to drive them higher.

Stolireef
04/12/2012, 05:07 PM
Sirreal: Totally agreed. It's all about the tank dimensions among a huge number of other variables. While I do like my Radions and my MP40s, I'm don't consider myself a fanboy at all. I do like the fact that they work together and have a level of flexibility that's not generally available. That said, the price is high, the software needs work, and the equipment is a bit on the delicate side.

Phishguy
04/12/2012, 05:11 PM
I think that LEDs are more intense than mh. They are very directional. If you point them in your eyes, it's blinding, a little off center and they are ok. Mh, is very broad and the intensity at 90 or 45 degree off access is the same as straight on.. My point is this, some of the "brightness" we attribute to mh is merely light spilling outside the aquarium. It is absolutely possible to burn out corals, and have the lights "seem" dimmer, because the LEDs aren't wasting energy spilling outside the tank. Over the years I have seen a change in my corals when installing new bulbs. After a little while they come back to normal.

kevensquint
04/12/2012, 05:17 PM
My radion cooks the monti-caps unless I keep the intensity low 50-70%, For some reason on paper my PAR is too low in this inensity range but in practice its the only way I can grow my sps and not have everything bleach.
And loose the red,( I keep mine at 5% ) money down that in 2 years no LED units will include red anymore. Check out this article, its one of many...http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/11/aafeature

sirreal63
04/12/2012, 05:29 PM
Stoli...I like the Radion, it is a fabulous fixture but just like every other piece of equipment it has limitations. The problem is, until Sanjay started testing these fixtures with equipment that accurately measured them, we really didn't know the limitations of the equipment. That initial fervor over them and some of the wild claims did nothing to help the reefing community.

kevensquint
04/12/2012, 05:31 PM
Also LED light is intense beams of pure color, sun, MH and T5 is a much more homogenious mix. I can see the seperate colored LEDs from my radion in the glitter lines on the rock...not sure how corals handle that.

dzhuo
04/12/2012, 06:05 PM
The problem is, until Sanjay started testing these fixtures with equipment that accurately measured them, we really didn't know the limitations of the equipment.

Sanjay has:

Feature Article: LED Lighting Tests: Radion, Orphek, Mvava, Ecoray and Ecoxotic (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/1/aafeature)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/1/aafeature_album/figure_2_radion.jpg

Feature Article: Spectral Distributions of LEDs: AI-Sol, Radion, Orphek, EcoRay, Mvava (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/aafeature)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/aafeature_album/figure_2a_radion_vs_mh.jpg/image_full

sirreal63
04/12/2012, 06:07 PM
I have been following his progress on AA and Manhatten. :) Until he started releasing his results we had little to go on besides the mfg's claims.

dzhuo
04/12/2012, 06:11 PM
Until he started releasing his results we had little to go on besides the mfg's claims.

Publishing the findings in AA is not releasing his result? That's interesting.

tkeracer619
04/12/2012, 06:15 PM
Publishing the findings in AA is not releasing his result? That's interesting.

I think you misread.

Confuse
04/12/2012, 07:06 PM
I think sometimes people jump the gun on LEDs and expect them to be the holy grail of lighting and get disapointed when it doesn't meet their expectations due to their own misinformation. Just because they don't "appear" as powerful as MH doesn't mean they're not. Yes, they do appear dimmer, but that has been well established on countless threads. They are dimmer to the eye, but they offer good PAR. As far as not being able to configure it, it's nothing against the radion, that's user error/inexperience/etc. The Radion user manual goes a long way and I feel most the settings are pretty self-explanatory and user friendly.

People often complain about LED's (AI's to be specific) burning their corals or browning them out, but they don't do the proper research on how to acclimate their tank and just blast it with light and then they complain LEDs are bad and so on and so forth.

I think one of the problems with these higher end fixtures is that they offer way more options than a standard MH/T5 combo, so people get more confused than they already are. The fixtures allow them to fine tune things to the teeth and the user ends up screwing up their own tank, not the fixture. Trust me, I've been on that boat. I friend my corals too after running my AI's 90% because they looked dim, but I had enough sense to realize I didn't do enough research and it was my fault for burning my corals, not the lights.

Comtek
04/12/2012, 08:13 PM
i agree my tank used to thrive with MH now with leds i'm back to a FOWLR.
but everybody else is using the same drivers same leds same size tanks and they are having success so the only other variable is human error. lack of knowledge and understanding.
i'm more confused about my tank lighting than ever i dont know if i should increase my lighting or decrease my lighting raise my fixture lower it go to a different led fixture remake mine or go back to MH.
what i might try before i give up is a PAR meter.
i mean anybody that bought 3 radions or ai's or built a $1500 DIY fixture can probably dig up enough money to grab a par meter sooner or later.
i'm thinking this is the best way to set it up proper.

karsseboom
04/12/2012, 08:53 PM
Sirreal: Totally agreed. It's all about the tank dimensions among a huge number of other variables. While I do like my Radions and my MP40s, I'm don't consider myself a fanboy at all. I do like the fact that they work together and have a level of flexibility that's not generally available. That said, the price is high, the software needs work, and the equipment is a bit on the delicate side.

Dude no way 3 Radions would cover a 150. 2 Radions have a hard time covering a 75g. I would say 4 Radions at least on a 6-7 ft tank

Stolireef
04/12/2012, 10:29 PM
Karsseboom:

Have you used Radions? I have two them on a 48Wx30Dx20H 110 and although it's a newer tank, not having any difficulty at all growing SPS. In fact, I'm considering reducing their intensity a bit. On a 72" tank, 3 radions will provide good coverage depending on the depth of the tank. For comparison, my last tank was a standard 90 with 2x400 Radiums and 4VHO Actinics so I'm very familiar with both lighting systems. I loved those lights but not sure I'd trade them considering the enormous power savings, neglible heat, flexibility, and looks of the Radion fixtures.

I haven't worked with T5s so I won't comment on them although I've seen beautiful T5 tanks.

If you have worked with Radions, I'd like to hear your experiences with them. We can all learn from each other.

Psionicdragon
04/13/2012, 12:23 AM
wow, looks like most of the expenses led from orphek cannon, ecoxotic and radion did soso on the test...sad

john rochon
04/13/2012, 04:45 AM
As mentioned its not everyones cup of tea. I've had a chance to see a few LED lit tanks and I'm not impressed. I know they grow coral just fine but,,
Visually they look ''dim'' even though they can burn coral.
I also do not like the short wave shimmer lines. I find it hard on my eyes.
energy savings? hmmm don't agree with that part either. New fixtures cost
$$$$$$$$$$$ so to make up any saving it'll take years! and from what I see
LED's create heat as well? [drivers + heat sinks]
anyways, I paid $100 for my 2 x 250 MH and that suites me fine.

ErikS
04/13/2012, 09:16 AM
Dude no way 3 Radions would cover a 150. 2 Radions have a hard time covering a 75g. I would say 4 Radions at least on a 6-7 ft tank
Situation dependent - quick search of youtube shows a successful 4' fairly deep tank (90g) with two radions...........let alone a shallower 75g.

..............New fixtures cost $$$$$$$$$$$ so to make up any saving it'll take years! and from what I see LED's create heat as well? [drivers + heat sinks] anyways, I paid $100 for my 2 x 250 MH and that suites me fine.
Too simplistic, there's often far more to the story. MH add heat to the house = increased AC costs in the summer (offset maybe by the winter). Depending on the ballast they can also add a fair bit of heat. May require a chiller = even more heat........................

There's far more involved when determining ROI (if that's even the determining factor).

sirreal63
04/13/2012, 09:23 AM
The truly funny thing, the OP hasn't been to this thread in two days. It kind of makes it hard to help diagnose what is going on in the tank and makes finding a solution impossible. :-)

Allmost
04/13/2012, 09:32 AM
The Radion is one of the best LED fixtures available and I guarantee you under the proper care and configuration, your corals will thrive just like they did under your MH.

how many do you own and how long have you been using ures ?
can we see your SPS colors and growth ?

does ure garantee support Canadian users too ?

and THE BEST ! hmmm, can we see the study you have done to show that ?

john rochon
04/13/2012, 10:00 AM
250w x 2 isn't much heat at all in my case. 120g tank. Just stops heaters from coming on [SEPT TO JUNE]. Anyways, not slamming LED lighting, just don't care for it much.

Pyrrhus
04/13/2012, 10:07 AM
energy savings? hmmm don't agree with that part either. New fixtures cost
$$$$$$$$$$$ so to make up any saving it'll take years! and from what I see
LED's create heat as well? [drivers + heat sinks]
anyways, I paid $100 for my 2 x 250 MH and that suites me fine.

Energy savings is directly affected by the region you are using them in, I would not expect LED's to be as popular in Canada (where using heaters is far more likely) as they are in say Phx, AZ or Southern California.

I have been using LED's from many different manufacturers for over 2 years now at the store I work for and I can say without a doubt, that if you are having poor results with one of the better fixtures out there (AI, Radion, etc) the issue is not your lights.

manix man
04/13/2012, 07:23 PM
I don't get it really my change over to radion's was as smooth as you like. Yes they look different to MH but TBH growh rate for me seems pretty well the same as 250W MH 14000k (all sps tank) and I'm only running at 85% tops on any of the programs.

The main difference I see is that a decent 250w MH you can get 3 foot coverage where as a radion is more like 2 foot.

The one strange thing is I really think I am getting better growth deeper in the tank now with radions. Seems about the same for sps at the top and middle of the tank but frags on the sand just seem to be growing faster. Could be all in my head though :hammer:

FoxyFace
04/16/2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the input. I will ignore all the nasty comments. My monti is clearly being baked by the Radions. I think it's a spectrum issue. Currently, the lights are on some pre programmed mode. The Radions cover the tank just fine. 72" Long

chadfarmer
04/17/2012, 09:30 AM
a friend of mine bought 1 and wasnt happy with it i told him to sell it

jfingers8
04/17/2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the input. I will ignore all the nasty comments. My monti is clearly being baked by the Radions. I think it's a spectrum issue. Currently, the lights are on some pre programmed mode. The Radions cover the tank just fine. 72" Long

That might be the problem is your cooking your monti.I am running 2 Radions over a 75 and I have a Undata Monti on my sand bed that has great color and great growth running at 60% on natural mode for 12 hours.

FoxyFace
04/17/2012, 02:08 PM
I called Ecotech for phone support today, as I had a day off. Wow. Total disappointment. The guy on the phone had no clue what he was doing and told me he's very unfamiliar with the Radions, even though he said he has them on his tanks at home. Sure... He told me he couldn't help me with the software because his keeps crashing! I was asked to wait on hold until his coworker came back from lunch. I waited a few minutes then hung up. Unreal!

FoxyFace
04/17/2012, 02:09 PM
That might be the problem is your cooking your monti.I am running 2 Radions over a 75 and I have a Undata Monti on my sand bed that has great color and great growth running at 60% on natural mode for 12 hours.

So I managed to put them in Natural mode at 50%. We'll see what happens.

Canadaguy
04/17/2012, 02:20 PM
I called Ecotech for phone support today, as I had a day off. Wow. Total disappointment. The guy on the phone had no clue what he was doing and told me he's very unfamiliar with the Radions, even though he said he has them on his tanks at home. Sure... He told me he couldn't help me with the software because his keeps crashing! I was asked to wait on hold until his coworker came back from lunch. I waited a few minutes then hung up. Unreal!

Are you sure it was Ecotech you were talking to? Sorry but I find this hard to believe.

Allmost
04/17/2012, 02:26 PM

did you ask for his name ?

contact the president of Ecotech and tell them his name. not the support I have gotten ever.

David Grigor
04/17/2012, 02:34 PM
I've had 3 units over a 180g tank since Thanksgiving so about 6 months from now. While the spread covers the bottom of the tank just fine ( except heavy shadows in some areas due to large plating corals ). For heavy SPS though what they lack any overlapping spread like you get from MH with nice reflectors. So those corals near the top are not getting any of the light from neighboring fixtures. The shadows and lack of direction leaves the interior areas of the sps/acros without much if any light and are dieing off.

For an SPS dominate tank I totally agree that 1 per 2' is not enough becuase very little if any overlapping light from different angles.

While raising the lights can help, for me 8"-10" above tank is the max I can do becuase of 7' ceilings in my basement.

I for sure will have to add another fixture over the more densely populating sps/acro area of my tank to get more overlaping light to try to keep the interior areas from dying. Bummer its going to cost me another $750 more than I had planned.

Stolireef
04/17/2012, 02:47 PM
David:

Just curious but how do you have the lights oriented. Are the perpendicular or parallel to the front of the tank?

AcroporAddict
04/17/2012, 02:50 PM

Sorry, I don't believe this either......EcoTech CS is second to none. This whole thread you started seems like purposeful hating with some ulterior motive.

FishNFun
04/17/2012, 06:06 PM
Sorry, I don't believe this either......EcoTech CS is second to none. This whole thread you started seems like purposeful hating with some ulterior motive.

Comments like this are ridiculous. Either you're calling the person a liar or you're calling them a plant for some nefarious purpose. A person doesn't like the latest, greatest gadget, states it in a forum and then people question their motives. That's just stupid and paranoid and I'll never understand it. :rolleye1:

Buzz1329
04/17/2012, 06:35 PM
+1 FishNFun. OP comments on HIS experiences with the light he is using and the service He experienced in trying to address problems with the light and he's trashed as an idiot, a shill, and a liar. Seems a bit over the top to me.

David Grigor
04/17/2012, 06:51 PM
David:

Just curious but how do you have the lights oriented. Are the perpendicular or parallel to the front of the tank?

Middle is parallel, two sides are parallel with to the Reef Ready corner overflows.

In the back corners are large plating. If I mount all 3 parallel then the large plating coral cause huge shadows as one puck would be directly over it leaving only 1 puck to cover the rest of the area.

David Grigor
04/17/2012, 06:53 PM
David:

Middle is parallel, two sides are parallel to the Reef Ready corner overflows like / and \.

Really need two especially in the middle becuase sps in front shade too much of the light to lower corals. Never was an issue with MH or T5s.

In the back corners on both sides large plating. If I mount all 3 parallel then the large plating coral cause huge shadows as one puck would be directly over it leaving only 1 puck to cover the rest of the area.

AcroporAddict
04/17/2012, 08:50 PM
Comments like this are ridiculous. Either you're calling the person a liar or you're calling them a plant for some nefarious purpose. A person doesn't like the latest, greatest gadget, states it in a forum and then people question their motives. That's just stupid and paranoid and I'll never understand it. :rolleye1:

OP trashes the product, then trashes customer service all in the same thread.

OP sets lights up for only one week, then renders summary product judgement after 7 days use. Give me a break. No one can make a reasonable lighting product evaluation in 7 days.

OP calls CS. CS on duty was having computer problems and asked OP to hold. Everyone has to eat, including the CS Rep that does have Radion software experience. Would it be that big a deal for the OP to call back a few minutes later? No, easier for OP to just indict the entire Ecotech CS Dept on Reef Central before even giving them a chance to help.

Way too much negative posting about Ecotech based on way too little product and company experience in this thread.

TucanSam007
04/17/2012, 09:15 PM
I just sold my radion. It's not because I didn't like them though, they just didn't fit my new tank upgrade at all. It was great for my mixed reef. This was a 22" deep 30" wide tank though with a single unit, so knowingly I was pushing its limits with high light demanding corals at different locations. LPS down low loved them and my duncans and candy canes exploded. I never had problems with the programming. I think the current pucks trade in par for spread and spectrum. Future puck upgrades can change all this though. The only real heavy sps tanks I see with radions have a multiple units and cross spread so it's definitely possible.IMO it's not really worth the 750 price tag for all the spectrum customization, your always going to want to tweak your settings. Not only that but once you start adding up the cost for multiple units, it gets kinda defeats the purpose of "saving money".With larger tanks this can be justified though.

The only thing I will agree on with the OP though is a customer service issue. I had a pretty basic question in regards to the Nutrient transport mode with my vortech pump and he had to put me on hold and ask someone. This has never happened before so was probably new, you may have had the same guy. Either way just like every other piece of equipment in this hobby, there's no one product thats going to suit everybody and please every type of reef configuration. I wanted a full sps tank with clams on the sand-bed in a deeper tank. I wanted to test the waters a bit knowing I would get good resale value and great customer service from a solid company.

I jumped on the guinea pig bandwagon and bought the first round of units that were available. My two cents, take it for what its worth, if anything. Can't complain with their warranty as it's second to none. Alot of people are having success with these and they really are a great led fixture, if not the best in its class.

tkeracer619
04/17/2012, 09:39 PM
Is it really bad customer service when you can't wait more then a few minutes to talk to someone much more experienced with the fixture? Your money, your impatience, your loss.

I am willing to bet the guy didn't just leave for lunch but was expected back at any moment. Otherwise they would have probably asked you to call back or would have called you back.

While I don't think your necessarily out to get them or making this up, I do think you are not giving them a chance to help you out and making it worse on yourself and your tank due to lack of patience and research.

karsseboom
04/18/2012, 01:39 AM

OP sets lights up for only one week, then renders summary product judgement after 7 days use. Give me a break. No one can make a reasonable lighting product evaluation in 7 days.

OP calls CS. CS on duty was having computer problems and asked OP to hold. Everyone has to eat, including the CS Rep that does have Radion software experience. Would it be that big a deal for the OP to call back a few minutes later? No, easier for OP to just indict the entire Ecotech CS Dept on Reef Central before even giving them a chance to help.

Way too much negative posting about Ecotech based on way too little product and company experience in this thread.

I'm not happy with ecotech. Called them a few times about my vortechs and got the freaking run around. Love the pumps but hate there cs.

AcroporAddict
04/18/2012, 08:13 AM
I'm not happy with ecotech. Called them a few times about my vortechs and got the freaking run around. Love the pumps but hate there cs.

Sorry you had some issues. Sounds like you gave it a fair shake. My experience is quite the opposite. Always been well taken care of by Ecotech. I have had some product issues with the Vortechs I own, but nothing that hasn't been swiftly taken care of by Ecotech. No product is perfect, but before you go on a national board complaining (referring to OP, not you) after a single phone call, give them a chance to help you.

rtparty
04/18/2012, 11:12 AM
I've used Ecotech's CS a couple times and it was stellar each time. Anyone that has issues with their CS, is unlucky or they can't be pleased no matter what.

lostmyz
04/18/2012, 11:37 AM
I have 2 Radions on my 72gal bow front and I love them. I do agree they are a pain to program at the start but once u get your program down you just let it do its thing and slowly increase the intensity of the lights. I had mine start out at 50% and im at 70% now and thats about as high as I am going to go for a while. The calibration of the radions does take some time. I still haven't fully figured it out cause my right one turns on before my left one and off after my left one. i sat all day doing that calibration thing on day. But if you have problems call ecotech they are always helpful!

gveng
04/18/2012, 11:40 AM
I'm not trying to call out the OP but i really hate threads like this. people are genuinely trying to help him out and ask him questions about his set up, but yet he refuses to answer anyone's questions and just continues to bash the product.

Allmost
04/18/2012, 11:41 AM

what was ure Issues with the pump ?

what service did u want and not get ? please share with us.

Allmost
04/18/2012, 11:43 AM

its just like when someone makes a thread and sais just way too many good things about a store or product, them moves on the day after and then we find out he/she wass from the said store/manufacturer.

many are mad at themselves for wastign the money u know ?

not saying the case here but possible :)

lostmyz
04/18/2012, 11:45 AM
my only issue with my radions is not actually with the radions its with my tank. being a bow front. I notice that i have a little less light across the bow area that makes it different from a standard 55gal tank. But thats an easy fix with some DIY LEDS kit :)

AcroporAddict
04/18/2012, 12:02 PM
Here are two examples of issue I have had with Ecotech products.

I bought two of the very first MP60s available for purchase in the US. When I got them, the boxes looked fine on the outside, but what happened was the heavy wetside magnets were not cushioned enough inside the box, and the propeller had crashed and wedged into the shroud on both of the pumps when the pump shifted inside the box during handling in shipment.

I contacted Ecotech. They asked me to take a couple digital pics. I did, and they immediately overnight shipped me two new wetsides. They also revamped their MP60 product packaging, and used my pictures in a national email they sent to all their Dealers to have them check for the same type of damage.

I bought six Radions for my 300 gallon tank and had some initial programming issues. Jon at EcoTech CS walked me through the programming, and even followed up with me via email to make sure all was well. Radions are not like a halide light, where you plug it in and it works only one way. If you are having problems with the programing and can't get through to CS at a certain time, go to the EcoTech Sponsor forum here on Reef Central or the EcoTech Online Community at the Ecotech website. They are invaluable references for their pumps and lights.

The Radion programing had some software bugs and was a bit hard to use on first release, but they have done a couple revisions and it is much easier now, so I'd advise the OP to make sure they have the latest release of the programming utility as well.

docstomper
04/18/2012, 12:47 PM

Do not put a rep in charge of CS that has no idea what he is doing then. CS is a direct reflection of the company.

AcroporAddict
04/18/2012, 01:35 PM
Do not put a rep in charge of CS that has no idea what he is doing then. CS is a direct reflection of the company.

The CS in question asked the OP to hold to talk to the one that was returning in a few minutes. He did not waste the OP's time by trying to answer questions he couldn't. How can you call that bad customer service? What would you rather hear, "the person that can help you will be back in a few minutes", or have someone waste your time by trying to answer questions they can't? The CS rep was honest enough to give the OP a straight answer at least. EcoTech may be at a point where they cannot have two full time CS people yet, and someone has to fill in when their full timer takes a meal. Alternately, they could just turn the phones of for an hour, but that would look even worse. At least there is someone answering the phone. You also forget that there were computer problems that day, per the OP, so the CS Rep the OP talked to could not access common solutions to common problems in their database, which I'm sure they use as a resource for their customers. With any set of product(s), you will always get a pattern of common questions for any particular product, so after a time there are common solutions for many common problems. The Rep the OP talked to did not have access to them. If the OP had called when there were no issues in Ecotech's computer system, then this thread may not even have started at all.

I've found the answer to several Radion programming problems I have had by looking in the EcoTech Sponsor forum here on Reef Central.

docstomper
04/18/2012, 02:11 PM
The CS in question asked the OP to hold to talk to the one that was returning in a few minutes. He did not waste the OP's time by trying to answer questions he couldn't. How can you call that bad customer service? What would you rather hear, "the person that can help you will be back in a few minutes", or have someone waste your time by trying to answer questions they can't? The CS rep was honest enough to give the OP a straight answer at least. EcoTech may be at a point where they cannot have two full time CS people yet, and someone has to fill in when their full timer takes a meal. Alternately, they could just turn the phones of for an hour, but that would look even worse. At least there is someone answering the phone. You also forget that there were computer problems that day, per the OP, so the CS Rep the OP talked to could not access common solutions to common problems in their database, which I'm sure they use as a resource for their customers. With any set of product(s), you will always get a pattern of common questions for any particular product, so after a time there are common solutions for many common problems. The Rep the OP talked to did not have access to them. If the OP had called when there were no issues in Ecotech's computer system, then this thread may not even have started at all.

I've found the answer to several Radion programming problems I have had by looking in the EcoTech Sponsor forum here on Reef Central.

You bring a valid point. My point is biased because I am in a critical job field where answers at a specific time are critical. Being SAR (search and rescue) everyone must know at any given time if asked a question about the machine MUST be addressed within minutes and must know what is going on. (Might be how some feel about their prized corals).

Waiting to see if the company called him back to answer his questions.

AcroporAddict
04/18/2012, 04:34 PM
You bring a valid point. My point is biased because I am in a critical job field where answers at a specific time are critical. Being SAR (search and rescue) everyone must know at any given time if asked a question about the machine MUST be addressed within minutes and must know what is going on. (Might be how some feel about their prized corals).

Waiting to see if the company called him back to answer his questions.

I doubt that will happen, as the OP hung up after waiting a few minutes. Didn't sound like the OP would have left a contact tel#. And from my experience on the phone with EcoTech CS, I don't think they take a contact number at the beginning of their calls. Hopefully, however he gets it, he OP will get the help he needs from somewhere.

madean
04/18/2012, 04:37 PM
being in a "search and rescue" environment or setting and talking to customer service are two completely different things buddy. That's comparing apples to whales or something. Really did you just write that.

tkeracer619
04/18/2012, 06:40 PM
I am starting to think this thread is just a troll party.