PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: wood caulk

MaLi
04/11/2012, 07:06 PM
Greetings,

what is the red sand-able caulk that almost everyone is using for diy stands ?

cheers,
Marian

peppie
04/11/2012, 07:33 PM
I have been working wood a very long time, and to this day I have not seen or used any caulking that is sandable.
They may be using a filler paste of some kind.
What are you trying or planning to do?

rocking
04/11/2012, 08:15 PM
peppie that makes two of us
oh wait he or she might be talking about the puddy marker /fillers or the stupid markers that have the gress in them

MaLi
04/11/2012, 08:35 PM
no need for sarcasm. If you can help ... just help.
I am referring to the caulk/filler that I could see on some diy stand postings that is reddish/burgundy in color and is being used for addressing imperfection on wood surface before painting.

cheers,
Marian

peppie
04/11/2012, 10:08 PM
As stated before. It is not caulk. Lets call a potato a potato.
If you want to fill imperfections in wood before you finish the wood, then you will need a sandable wood filler. Many of them will not take stain.
Or you can apply a wood putty after the finish is on.
If you are going to paint the wood, I have used spackle. It dosent shrink much and sands easily.
Check out your local hardware store in the wood finish section to see which will work best for you

Da Maui life
04/11/2012, 10:14 PM
Greetings,

what is the red sand-able caulk that almost everyone is using for diy stands ?

cheers,
Marian

Are you talking about spackling compound? I do know of one that go’s on pinkish red and is for wood, and some other uses. Dap. DryDex when dry turns white and ready to sand or paint. Works well on wood that will be painted.

RJS8540
04/12/2012, 06:34 AM
I don't think I've seen the thread, but what you are describing sounds like Bondo (auto body filler).

Nailbender
04/12/2012, 06:47 AM
Bondo works great on wood for larger holes, if you are painting. For smaller imperfections, glazing putty ( also an auto body product ) works good.

stormrider27
04/12/2012, 07:12 AM
Bondo works great on wood for larger holes, if you are painting. For smaller imperfections, glazing putty ( also an auto body product ) works good.

I am positive bondo is what you are referring to as "red caulking" as the hardener turns bondo red and if you are going to paint bondo is a great wood filler. It cures quickly, can easily be sanded and doesn't shrink over time. We often used bondoas a filler on painted projects in the cabinet shop I used to own. If you are planning on staining then wood filler should be used. Grease stick fillers should only be used after the wood has been stained and top coated.

Good luck with your project!