PDA

View Full Version : LongSpine Blue Dot & Blue Dot Fire Urchin

reefwisher
04/11/2012, 11:00 PM
I like to know if anyone has any expierence with these 2 urchins that Live Aquaria sell? They are the Blue Dot Long Spine (astropyga radiata) and the Blue Dot Fire urchin on Diver Den. I believe they call it that, can't remember the first part of the name but the second part is Varium. Thanks

sacremon
04/12/2012, 09:46 AM
Asthenosoma varium. I have one, which I got from Diver's Den. I also had an astropyga radiata that grew rather quickly then died. I wasn't keeping a close eye on the Mg levels in the tank, and they had gotten too low for it, I think.

The A. radiata is out during the day and quite active, which is rare for urchins. It would monopolize the rock I tied nori to for the tangs/rabbit that I had to add a second rock for them.

The A. varium is a typical nocturnal urchin. The interesting thing about them is that the plates of their test are not fused, so they are flatter and can bend to get into spaces.

reefwisher
04/12/2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I did'nt know Mg plays a role in keeping urchins. What should the Mg levels be? I am kind of leaning on getting the Asthenosoma Varium, look like they are more colorful ,is this true? Then again I would like to get both of them.

sacremon
04/12/2012, 09:15 PM
Keep Mg at 1300 or so. Urchins are very sensitive to water conditions.

They are both colorful in their own ways, but I do prefer the A. varium for their color. I just wish it wouldn't keep eating all the sponges that grow in the tank.

reefwisher
04/13/2012, 11:04 AM
I have a pencil urchin and a blue tuxedo. Both are in a 75 gal fowlr tank. Did'nt realize the pencil was a carnivore until i read up on it. Tried feeding it krill one night, he would'nt eat it but will eat algae sheets. He did lose around 4-5 spines, but grew up new ones. Been reading up on sea urchins. I knew they were sensitive to water conditions but not that sensitive.