PDA

View Full Version : My pet store man told me that he never do partial water change ?

minajaguar
04/12/2012, 12:20 PM
My pet store man told me that he never do partial water change ?
and do add some market liquid additives rich with minerals that is used in the tank .... ?????? is that a good idea and i see his fishes are perfect ....

Tin_Whistler
04/12/2012, 12:23 PM
His fish are likely swapped out and sold all the time. For nutrients import, and waste export you’ll need to do water changes.

Also, you want to use RO/DI water if possible, not tap water with additives.

minajaguar
04/12/2012, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=Tin_Whistler;20129178]
His fish are likely swapped out and sold all the time.
QUOTE]

but my friend , what about the new fishes he will add after selling ... if the water is not suitable for them they will be stressed ,not happy as i see them ... did you got my view ?! ..

NirvanaFan
04/12/2012, 12:34 PM
If it is a fish only tank, there isn't much of a need to do partial water changes.

minajaguar
04/12/2012, 12:40 PM
If it is a fish only tank, there isn't much of a need to do partial water changes.

its a new opinion :) ,,, can you tell me whhy ?????

Playa-1
04/12/2012, 12:45 PM
I don't seek advice from people in the pet store. Being retail sales they will typically have reasons behind their advice that is not always in your best interest. The profitability of those additives are high and floor space is minimal. The water changes not only acts to replenish trace elements but they also acts as an export of waste, phosphates, nitrates, and other toxic buildup. Pet stores are in business to make money and are not necessarily looking out for your best interests. I'm not one to bash pet store employees and all but you should do your research outside the pet store and take any advice with caution.

snorvich
04/12/2012, 12:51 PM
I don't seek advice from people in the pet store. Being retail sales they will typically have reasons behind their advice that is not always in your best interest. The profitability of those additives are high and floor space is minimal. The water changes not only acts to replenish trace elements but they also acts as an export of waste, phosphates, nitrates, and other toxic buildup. Pet stores are in business to make money and are not necessarily looking out for your best interests. I'm not one to bash pet store employees and all but you should do your research outside the pet store and take any advice with caution.

Excellent advice.

TheAquatect
04/12/2012, 01:24 PM
+1 on what Playa-1 says. I would not trust any opinion from a person biased toward making a sale.

Now that being said...there are some schools of thought around not changing water, and some people thinks its OK, some don't. Ive read success stories on both sides but, as with any opinion, you have to educate yourself and make the best decision possible. IMO, always get a wide range of opinions and do the research to try and back your desired hypothesis.

geaux xman
04/12/2012, 01:29 PM
He probably wants all your livestock to die then you would have to buy new from him.

minajaguar
04/12/2012, 01:48 PM
He probably wants all your livestock to die then you would have to buy new from him.

not real cause if that happened i 'll not buy from him again :)

wongster
04/12/2012, 02:43 PM
+1 for the need to do water changes. Frequency and quantity of the changes probably don't need to be as muchon a fish only system depending on the fish you have (some are more sensitive to water quality). But even if the fish survive, as everyone else has said, there needs to be waste/nutrient export otherwise water quality will fall and your fish will be more suceptable to disease. So I guess it's a question of do you just want to get by and keep the fish alive or do the right thing for the fish and give them the best health and have them looking the best? I'm not sure there's really any question what to do there.

tkeracer619
04/12/2012, 04:59 PM
My mechanic told me I didn't need to change the oil in my engine. Just add some slick 50.

This hobby is not an easy one and sometimes we do things based on people recommendations alone. This can be good or it can be bad. Taking advice from someone who makes a profit off you is fine but taking it from a bunch of independents who will argue till the end both sides of the story is a better way to go.

Change your water. Things are living in it. Be nice to them and give them some clean water.

Captn Obvious
04/12/2012, 05:03 PM
What exactly did he tell you to do and what to use? I would like to hear this.

567234ta
04/12/2012, 05:07 PM
fish look happy in pet store to get people take them home to get out of there, they not stupid.

kissman
04/12/2012, 06:53 PM
There is a petstore close to me that has a 60g and they never do water changes they just add top off. He has been running it for 5 years does not sell the fish or corals out of it. He has Macros growing in tank and in sump. Tank is unreal. If I am every up that way again i will stop in and take some pics

reefergeorge
04/12/2012, 06:59 PM
If they have a fuge, and it's only fish I don't see why any wc is needed. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but the fish will live long enough to sell.