PDA

View Full Version : Apex not dimming Buckblocks?

Daimyo68
04/12/2012, 11:01 PM
Just hooked up my DIY LED's last night, and while they power on to full intensity, they will not dim at all.

2 - A009-D-V-1400 BuckBlock http://www.ledsupply.com/0a009-d-v-1400.php
8 - Endor Star LED's (4 per buckblock) http://www.ledsupply.com/07007-pb000-d.php
1 - 24VDC 100w Power supply http://www.ledsupply.com/24vdc42a.php

I've checked and rechecked all the wiring with a DVOM and everything is correct. I also tried running each buckblock on separate dimmming ports from the apex and no help.

I am able to supply a varying voltage (bench-top adjustable power supply in the shop) to the V+ and V- on the block/s and can dim the bulbs this way, but when connected to the 24v power supply and the Apex, the LED's will neither RampUp or RampDown. They stay at full power at all times

Here's the wiring diagram, Profile/s and Control Code for reference:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9553/ledwiring.jpg
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3070/69152386.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5332/54831641.jpg
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5163/84228812.jpg

kenargo
04/13/2012, 09:57 AM
Have you verified the Apex connect? Have you confirmed that the voltage from the Apex is ramping as expected? If you change the Apex outlet to OFF you should see the voltage drop to near 0, can you confirm that?

The most common issue in cases like this are reversed or incorrect connections to the Apex.

mike_dani
04/13/2012, 01:39 PM
Also most of the Buck pucks require a PWM 0-10v (digital) signal the APEX supply's a analog signal. This might be your issue if you find the above to be working properly, unfortunately I on build LEDs with the Meanwell type drivers so I am of no help from this point forward.

Daimyo68
04/13/2012, 02:11 PM
I did check the voltage coming from the network cable going to the buckpuck and did see voltage there with outlet set to ON.

I will double check that and confirm the circuits are wired properly again.

Now that I think of it though, I want to say that I had more than 10v from the port when I checked it. I could be wrong, but will check that again also.

Landsailor
04/13/2012, 03:03 PM
Try a shorter ramp time to see if it reacts differently.

Daimyo68
04/13/2012, 03:16 PM
Also most of the Buck pucks require a PWM 0-10v (digital) signal the APEX supply's a analog signal. This might be your issue if you find the above to be working properly

This is most likely the issue. I did not realize that the Signal out was not PWM, and when emailing back with ledsupply, it was not mentioned and I wouldn't expect them to know how every controller on the market works.

Is there a way to convert the signal Digital to PWM?

I'm taking the scope home tonight, going to drop the RampUp time to 15 and record it to confirm the Apex is working properly.

kenargo
04/13/2012, 03:20 PM
Also most of the Buck pucks require a PWM 0-10v (digital) signal the APEX supply's a analog signal. This might be your issue if you find the above to be working properly, unfortunately I on build LEDs with the Meanwell type drivers so I am of no help from this point forward.

As you mentioned "I am able to supply a varying voltage (bench-top adjustable power supply in the shop) to the V+ and V- on the block/s and can dim the bulbs this way"

I wouldn't think this to be your issue. If it was then varying the voltage in the manner you describe should not have worked.

Landsailor
04/13/2012, 03:26 PM
Dimming Input, turn on threshold . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.7V ±5%
Dimming Input, full on threshold . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9V ±5%

From the data sheet. It's possible that your 60 minute ramp never got it up to 1.7V.

Also from the data sheet:
For more advanced control, the 0-10V input can be Pulse Width Modulated (PWM)....The 0-10V input can also be supplied by a commercial lighting controller that has current-sinking 0-10V outputs

Is the Apex's output current sinking or sourcing?

Daimyo68
04/13/2012, 03:39 PM
Also most of the Buck pucks require a PWM 0-10v (digital) signal the APEX supply's a analog signal. This might be your issue if you find the above to be working properly

This is most likely the issue. I did not realize that the Signal out was not PWM, and when emailing back with ledsupply, it was not mentioned and I wouldn't expect them to know how every controller on the market works.

I'm taking the scope home tonight, going to drop the RampUp time to 15 and record it to confirm the Apex is working properly.

RussM
04/13/2012, 03:50 PM
Is the Apex's output current sinking or sourcing?sourcing.

RussM
04/13/2012, 03:57 PM
Is there a way to convert the signal Digital to PWM?http://shop.stevesleds.com/Aquarium-Controller-Interface-Harness-for-Steves-LEDs-Drivers-harness.htm

Landsailor
04/13/2012, 03:57 PM
sourcing.

Well, that could be the problem, then.

Daimyo68
04/13/2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
"I am able to supply a varying voltage (bench-top adjustable power supply in the shop) to the V+ and V- on the block/s and can dim the bulbs this way"
I wouldn't think this to be your issue. If it was then varying the voltage in the manner you describe should not have worked.

The power supply I am using outputs at 24V. The Buckblock will accept up to 32v. The output from the buckblock will be identical to it's input, so 24v in = 24v out. That's why I am able to dim the LED's using just the bench-top variable voltage supply.

Originally Posted by Daimyo68 View Post
http://shop.stevesleds.com/Aquarium-...rs-harness.htm

I found this also in a quick search before leaving work. I'll be contacting them on Monday to confirm that it will work with the parts I am using. From what I read, it will work but I just want to confirm.

Daimyo68
04/16/2012, 10:19 PM
I emailed the company about the in line module, this is the response:

The Buckblocks you linked to accept a 0-10V signal, which is what the Apex variable speed port puts out, so converting it to PWM will not give you the signal you are looking for. There may be a problem with the wiring from your Apex to the Buckblocks, because it should be working correctly as is

I will again check all the wiring and outputs...

Daimyo68
04/17/2012, 09:25 PM
For those interested.

Turns out my Apex has a voltage leak. This has been a problem for some people (from searching the web), as the Variable Speed Ports are putting out more than 10volts on 2 channels (almost 14v) and 1.2v on the others in the Manual ON and OFF setting (in my case anyways).

Looks like I'll be putting in a call to Neptune tomorrow. Hopefully this is something I can fix here at home, as the apex runs everything associated with my tank.

Also, just as a heads up, the Buckpucks are made to accept the Digital 0-10v signal.

Thanks for all the input.

Daimyo68
04/19/2012, 08:07 AM
I've got my call in to Neptune, waiting for them to call back.

I'm curious if anyone knows what the root cause of this is? If it's something as simple as a bad electronic voltage regulator on the board itself, I can most likely fix it myself.

My Apex is just over 2 years old, and since I never utilized the ports, this issue has never surfaced and could have been there from the start.

Daimyo68
04/19/2012, 05:23 PM
Spoke with Neptune, and he wanted me to confirm that I wasn't checking the wrong circuits and wants me to purchase one of their cables.

I made a network cable with only the 4 wires in it (yes I stripped the sheathing from it removed 4 wires and made a 4 wire RJ45 cable since I have all that stuff here) and tested again.

13.6v and 1.146v on V1/V3
1.146v and 13.6 on V2/V4

Strange that they are opposite. I set both ports to ON and OFF when testing.

I have a buddy bringing his actual Neptune cable to my place tonight and we will check again.

Landsailor
07/24/2012, 03:50 PM
Did you ever get this resolved?

Daimyo68
11/03/2012, 09:56 PM
This issue was resolved after talking to Neptune, doing my dianostic as well as theirs (which was identical).

The ports were bad. I sent the unit into Neptune for repairs, recieved it back in perfect working order.

rockdoc2010
11/04/2012, 11:20 AM
Perfect working order????

So does the apex now control the dimming ballasts as required or programmed? I am a few days away from wiring meanwell 24 60D ballasts to the apex and some stunner strips.

Wish me luck.

Daimyo68
11/06/2012, 06:52 PM
Yes. They rise and fall as programmed.

One thing I do notice though is that if I am in the room, I can see each time the lights dim on their way down from 70% to 0. I was hoping for more of a natural "slide" down to off, but I guess that's just the way it is.

I'm actually in the process of building a full LED setup for this tank, but using Meanwell drivers this time around.

frogg21
05/18/2013, 08:43 PM
same issue on my apex bought just a few months ago, bad ports giving 15.84 volts out.. Wishing they would fix this design issue..

EllisJuan
04/07/2014, 09:58 PM
I just bought an apex second hand and I am having the same issue. 14+ volts...

Did Neptune fix this for free? If not, what can I expect to pay to get it fixed?

Daimyo68
05/29/2014, 09:28 PM
My system was out of warranty, it cost me $60. They received it in the AM, had it fixed and shipped back out the same afternoon.

fix cost will depend on the issue. Give them a call, they are great when it comes to customer service.