PDA

View Full Version : Precision pH Buffer?

Socals14
04/13/2012, 01:11 PM
So, I have been keeping track of my tank's parameters, and I have noticed that my Alk is a bit on the low side...around 8 dKh.

My CA is normally high, around 480-500, and pH is between 8-8.15

I have a free container of Precision pH Buffer, and was thinking of adding a bit to my ATO to boost Alk. Although typically used to boost pH, a side affect is typically a boost in Alk.

Thougths?

Or should I just dose some Baking Soda?

sponger0
04/13/2012, 01:14 PM
I never buffer the pH. I dont even know mine.

Just dose for your alkalinity.

shifty51008
04/13/2012, 01:15 PM
nothing wrong with 8 dkh, you want between 7-11 dkh but if you want to boost it and sence you already have the buffer go ahead and use it up. I would go slow though as you don't know how much it takes to raise the alk.

disc1
04/13/2012, 01:19 PM
Although typically used to boost pH, a side affect is typically a boost in Alk.

I know that's what sells it and what the label says, but it's backwards. All those buffers raise alkalinity with a temporary pH side effect. But people get so stirred up about pH(maybe because so easy to measure) so anything with pH on it sells like hot cakes. Really, all that's in it is baking soda. Use it up, but don't waste your money on any more.

bnumair
04/13/2012, 02:02 PM
ph is really no that import to chase in a reef. keep up with ur alkalinity. alk at 8 is not low. 7-11 is a very acceptable range. ph buffers do increase alk as well. u can use baking soda or buy sodium carbonate (soda ash) that will boost alk ph as the same time.