PDA

View Full Version : 100g Stocking list

Juniorchicken
04/13/2012, 11:52 PM
Hi guys,
I am in the process of setting up a mixed reef 100g tank(48x24x20)
The basic setup is about 150 pounds of live rock, a 30ish gallon sump with a eshopps s-150 cone skimmer and refugium with deep sandbed, and ecotech radions for lighting (not metal halide for the monthly electric cost). Also definitely going to quarantine all fish before i introduce them to the DT to reduce the chance of disease making it into the tank.

I have general idea for a stocking list but just want to see your guys opinion:
-Starry blenny (currently in QT at a friends)
-Harlequin bass
-Falco hawkfish
-Leopard wrasse(M. meleagris)
-Some sort of jawfish
-Kole or Chevron tang
-Red scooter blenny

Thanks for the input in advance,
Austin:bum:

sponger0
04/14/2012, 06:49 AM
Here is where my concerns are.

1. For your jawfish, How deep of a sandbed do you have?

2. For a scooter blenny, you do know there are dragonettes ie...mandarins and not actually blennies?

3. Do you have a fuge setup already for the scooter?

4. The wrasse is gonna cause some competition for food for the scooter as wrasses also eat pods.

Vince272992
04/14/2012, 08:40 AM
i would hold off on either the wrasse or scooter blnney because like "sponger0" said there will be comrpition so i would choose only one of those and maybe get some type of goby instead

Juniorchicken
04/14/2012, 10:38 PM
1.sandbed is gonna be 4'' deep
2.i know that but is not called the red scooter dragonette anywhere i've seen
3.scooter wont be going into tank for at least a year
4.never really crossed my mind so gonna think about that.

pgr11
04/14/2012, 10:52 PM
Here you go http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1635+91&pcatid=91

Juniorchicken
04/15/2012, 04:26 AM
Sorry chief

Juniorchicken
04/15/2012, 04:27 AM
decision is currently between bluespot jawfish and pearly eye jawfish.

sponger0
04/15/2012, 04:51 AM
1.sandbed is gonna be 4'' deep
2.i know that but is not called the red scooter dragonette anywhere i've seen
3.scooter wont be going into tank for at least a year
4.never really crossed my mind so gonna think about that.

A red scooter is actually a red occelated dragonette.

If you wanna do it the right way, IMO, start the fuge from day 1.

Also I have one. I have had my scooter for a year now. He is a fat little thing and one of my favorite fish. I had my tank setup for 4 months before he went into it. He came from another tank I sold. He was my first fish. Unfortunately I was an uminformed reefer. Just a beginner. Got him home and then began to read. I felt bad cause I was worried I just bought something I'm not capable of keeping, being so new to the hobby. Well I continued to read, and the dragonettes I keep reading. I think that's important in their survival to our hobby.

I learned the scooter is easier to get to take prepared food than your mandarin. Here's what I did. I was feeding mysis. He would try to go after it, but seems to move around the tank too fast for him. So I turned off all pump for 30 minutes while I fed him. After a month he began to zoom around the tank for it and I no longer needed to turn off the pump. This has been the key to my sucess for him survival.

He eats anything in the tank I put in there. Also, I have never seen such clean sand. But he is constantly nibbing on the rock, meaning he has a plentiful resource of food. I have a fuge and plan on dosing it again soon just to be sure.

I also got an ORA mandarin. Didn't turn out so well. Got this one home and QTed him for a week. Wasn't eating so I moved him to the DT. Still wasn't eating. At this point I was feeding him everything you can think of but wouldn't take it. Bloodworms, roe, nutramar oza, cylopeeze. Nothing. So I set up a diner from a baby food jar and started putting bloodworms in there. He began to eat. This sustained him for 6 months. My scooter then realized the bloodworms were food. This is what made him fat.

I had him for six months then I decided to sell my smaller tank. I moved all the fish over. Now my mandarin began to refuse to eat. To close, the mandarin died.

sponger0
04/15/2012, 04:53 AM
Reason I share all this is if you do want a scooter maybe some of wwhat I did that suceeded can aid you

But also a prepared food eating dragonette is great, but I think the still need their natural diet for long term success. I hope mine lives a full life. And he is an awesome little guy.

scar79
04/15/2012, 11:41 AM
decision is currently between bluespot jawfish and pearly eye jawfish.

I would definitely go with the pearly. Bluespots have a pretty weak track record. Pearly jawfish are much more likely to survive and are still a great looking fish, but let's face it, you're not getting it for its looks anyways, you're getting it for its personality!

Juniorchicken
04/15/2012, 08:41 PM
The fuge is definitely starting same day as tank and the pearly is also a lot cheaper.

fish042099
04/16/2012, 05:23 AM
Just so ya know chevron tangs are a very expensive(300-400), so you might want to get a koles tang.

Juniorchicken
04/16/2012, 09:06 PM
Yea, i know, just so beautiful of fish.
got my QT up and running, repurpused a friend remora HOB skimmer and going to buy a canister filter.
tank is coming in tomorrow, will post pictures when possible.

bud217
04/16/2012, 09:55 PM
I LOVE my chevron and wouldnt trade him for any other fish. He's beautiful, even though he's an adult, which is when most people think they get ugly. I disagree..i think they get more unique, even though they are not as colorful. I only paid $250. and I know if you keep your eye out online you can find them for about the same price.

Juniorchicken
04/17/2012, 09:46 PM
I would but being from canada many sites like LA won't ship to me, which is sad but JL aquatics sells 2-3 inch chevrons for 150.