PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!

tlandmeier
04/14/2012, 07:55 AM
I am headed to lumber store to buy materials for a DIY stand I saw in a thread by RocketEngineer. It was color coded and was a simplistic design but best of all left out center support brace so I can use sump. Question is this: I have a 75 gallon, 48", but I want to build stand 72" to plan for upgrade to 120gallon. Will 75 gallon fit on frame in center? Or would I need extra bracing? I read the thread ( all 50 some pages!) but it didn't seem anyone needed to do this before. Thanks in advance. I'll be checking reef central from home depot!!!! Lol

Browserz
04/14/2012, 08:15 AM
I would put braces where your tank would sit so all 4 sides are being supported. I'm not very good with working with wood but it seems like it wouldnt hurt to do it that way. You can always buy extra wood and if you end up not needing it, as long as you don't cut it, you can return it

BigEarn86
04/14/2012, 08:24 AM
The biggest issue is that the verticle supports will not be under the corner of the tank any more. If you wanted you could build the 72" and just put extra "LEGS" or verticle uprights, under the corners of the 48" tank. Once you upgrade you can remove said uprights and have a 72" Stand. Make sure you use a good saw to ensure 90 degree cuts and the you get the straightest 2X4's you can. I am in the process for priming my second RE stand now. The first one was not quite square enough. Oh yeah and buy youself some pipe clamps and some48" steel pipe. They will make everything ALOT easier to assemble. Best of luck.

Big E

tlandmeier
04/14/2012, 10:47 AM
Thank you both! I just got back from Menards with the lumber. I will be doing double brace to run under 75 gallon. Thanks again!