PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse stocking question

ridetolive
04/14/2012, 01:54 PM
Hey, I have a 75 gal. reef tank and I was wanting to add one of these wrasses to it.
Adorned Wrasse (Halichoeres cosmetes)
Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia ) or
Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

I was wanting to know if one will be compatible with my set up. And which one will do the best.

Current stock includes: Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
Filamented Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus filamentosus)
Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)
Hector Goby (Amblygobius hectori)
Ocellaris Clown (Amphiprion ocellaris)

My biggest concern is probably with my fighting conch and snails. I have Astraea's, Ceriths, Nassarius, and Nerites. Will they bother any of them?

Well I appreciate any info you guys can give me cuz I'm still a saltwater noob. Thanks for the help in advance.

CT Reefer
04/14/2012, 02:05 PM
I have a Christmas wrasse. He gets along with everyone. Never bothered any of my snails or fighting conch.

small alien
04/14/2012, 09:41 PM
Keeping it well fed will help. Ive read snails and crabs can be on the menu.

The Punisher
04/15/2012, 05:40 AM
I've got a melanarus, and I've never seen him eat snails/crabs, but I have noticed a decent increase in the number of empty shells laying around.

ridetolive
04/15/2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess i will just hold off on getting one of these guys for now. Don't really want to take a chance and be replacing my CUC all the time. I'll just have to get another tank sometime to put one in haha. I'll probably go with one of the fairy wrasse's instead for this set up. Just want to make sure things run as smooth as they can with my first saltwater tank.

Perched Urchin
04/16/2012, 07:14 AM
IME, the Christmas wrasse didn't mess with any other fish or snails/crabs. A great reef tank fish. I've heard the same of melanarus, but have not yet had personal experience with one.