PDA

View Full Version : Hard vs soft plumbing

Authentic
04/14/2012, 04:46 PM
I bought a plumbing kit with my new 65 gal tank and th bulkheads are barbed for soft plumbing lines( flexible hoses) should I use these as recommended by the mft or should I swap it all out for fixed PVC lines? and buy new bulkheads .i have two 3/4 in returns and one 1 1/4 in drain line.and already I've been to two places that didn't have the size for my drain

TimeConsumer
04/14/2012, 06:20 PM
I've got vinyl tubing and I'm very happy with it. It allows me to move and wiggle things around if I need it. I'm also not worried about bumping into my plumbing and cracking a bulkhead.

madean
04/14/2012, 07:25 PM
If it were me, I would ditch the barbed fittings and go with schedule 80 bulkheads and hard pipe everything. But my plumbing skills are pretty good so its not a problem. Using the barbed fittings and flex hose is easier and can be installed rather quickley. Just dont over tighten the bulkheads and dont use metal strap pipe clamps on the flex hose. They rust. On the flip side I have seen a lot of broken bulkheads that were of lower quality than schedule 80 bulkheads. Your only choice might be to use those bulkheads or schedule 40 bulkheads, it all depends on the size of the holes drilled if they indeed are drilled already.

Authentic
04/15/2012, 07:09 AM
They are drilled and as the tank was built by a very good company( deep sea aquatics) I trust that the plumbing is a perfect match for the holes.so I guess il go flexible.

nyvp
04/15/2012, 09:36 AM
everything you need

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=7701028.11867*6o6-65&product=4_Flex_PVC_Pipe_1-1/4_inch

ek9vboi
04/15/2012, 10:22 AM
Hard if you plan to tee off the return for other things. Soft if it's just a direct line from return pump to the tank returns.

Like nyvp said, spa flex works great. I would recommend doing a combo of spa flex and hard plumbing to keep vibrations down or the transfer of it to your sump. I wish I would have done some spa flex but it's never too late!