PDA

View Full Version : Question about copepods.

Shiori
04/14/2012, 06:51 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have a 75gal display tank with a 20gal sump and I'd like to seed my 4.7gal HOB refugium with copepods so that in 7-8months (or as long as it takes to see the little bugs swimming around in the DT) I can add a mandarin.

I was wondering when I can start seeding the tank and what's the best way people here have gone about doing that?

Right now the tank just has 2 fish, a cleaner shrimp and a bunch of snails. The rock I used was BRS reef saver and Pukani, so dry rock, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need to seed the tank to kick off the copepod population.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

SKurj
04/14/2012, 07:13 PM
I asked the same question this morning: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2157831

Shiori
04/14/2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks Skurj!

I totally missed that post..not sure how tho lol.

I'll read your thread. Thanks again!

Buzz1329
04/15/2012, 02:14 PM
I'm trying to do the same thing. Over the past two months, I've been adding chaeto from various sources to my live rock fuge, thinking that I'll get pod hitchhikers. Plus I ordered 2-for-1 bags of 1,000 amphipods/copepods from reefs to go and dumped them in the fuge which slowly spills over into the return pump portion of my sump. So far, I'm not seeing any pods in the DT, but I assume it takes time so I'm not planning to add a mandarin any time soon.