PDA

View Full Version : Bellus Angelfish

89Foxbody
04/14/2012, 10:52 PM
Anyone have experience with one of these guys? I find the females really beautiful, and was thinking of getting one as my "focal point" fish for my 90g but LA recommends 125g. I don't plan on stocking heavily.

Thanks in advance.

NatureNerd
04/14/2012, 11:19 PM
I have wondered the same thing. I too have started my upgrade to a 90 (actually 93g). I also wonder if you only kept one female without a male would that be okay and would it stay as a female?

89Foxbody
04/14/2012, 11:24 PM
I was concerned with that as well. The females are so much more colorful than males. Supposedly they are best kept with 1 male and a harem of females.

reefjunkie42
04/15/2012, 12:51 AM
Active fish, slow grower, it is rare to see them full size in home aquaria, on a side note mine was a little bully, she was only 3 1/2 and was boss, even in a tank with 3 larger g. Semifactus

betamed
04/15/2012, 06:42 AM
Active fish, slow grower, it is rare to see them full size in home aquaria, on a side note mine was a little bully, she was only 3 1/2 and was boss, even in a tank with 3 larger g. Semifactus

they are very active but grow pretty slow. I bought my female at 2" and grew to about 3.5 in 3 years before she turned male and is now about 5" and a 90 would be about the min I could imagine this fish in. I really do want to add some females but the male she turned into is really a stunning fish I miss the black markings but the flowing fins and bright yellow are just as nice.

Make sure the fish is swimming well before you buy. they often have bladder issues.

btkrausen
04/15/2012, 07:35 AM
I've had my female for maybe 4-5 months now, and the only fish I've seen her bully is a new addition of a Lamarks Angelfish...which only lasted a day or two. After that, they lived in harmony and never had issues with each other.

Mine is very active, eats well, and doesn't bother anybody.

89Foxbody
04/15/2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone. You helped me make up my mind. :)