PDA

View Full Version : Advise Please

TheShadow
04/15/2012, 10:18 AM
I could use a little help if you all don’t mind.

Very new at this so bare with me.

My tank is 55gal display. Under I have a Sump/Refuge, skimmer rubble and a few pieces of live rock also baseball size Cheeto.

Display has about inches of sand and 50 pounds DIY rock. Used 20 pounds live sand mixed with dry sand.

Tank is roughly 66 days old. Started cycle with a dead shrimp. Diatom Bloom started and subsided
Ammonia only went high as .50ppm has never really had any Nitrate or Nitrite always at 0.

Add a small CUC (Snails).

My PH has always been Low. Digital probe
API reef master test kit
API saltwater master kit

Today’s readings
PH=7.59
Ammonia= 0
Nitrate=0
Nitrite=0
Calcium=1280ppm (64 drops not a typo)
Carbonate= 5dKH/89.5ppm
Phosphate=.25
Salt=1.024

Are we looking at problems here?
Were do I go from here?
yelling and screaming is aloud I take critisism well

shifty51008
04/15/2012, 11:10 AM
your parameters are way out of wack. unless your dosing something for cal. I would guess your test kit is an error.

what brand salt are you using?
try mixing up a fresh small batch of salt and test that.
also you will need a mag. test kit as mag., cal., and alk. all work together. if mag is low it is hard to get the others balanced.
are you using rodi water? and how are you measuring your sg level?

Percula9
04/15/2012, 11:11 AM
There is no way your calcium can 1280ppm. Maybe you meant magnesium. Raise the alkalinity to at least 8dkh with baking soda. The phosphate levels are high. Maybe add GFO in a reactor. The pH I don't think is that low. Recalibrate your pH meter. If your getting a cacium reading that high maybe a bad kit or testing error. Have you done any water changes yet?

sucker_fish
04/15/2012, 11:16 AM
If those readings are correct there are problems. I would be suspect of the DIY live rock, what is it made out of ?

MrTuskfish
04/15/2012, 11:23 AM
If those readings are correct there are problems. I would be suspect of the DIY live rock, what is it made out of ?

Good catch. Even real skeletal coral limestone based rock can carry unwanted minerals if it comes from the wrong place. DIY rock is fine; if it comes from a reputable source.

TheShadow
04/15/2012, 12:31 PM
what brand salt are you using?
try mixing up a fresh small batch of salt and test that.
also you will need a mag. test kit as mag., cal., and alk. all work together. if mag is low it is hard to get the others balanced.
are you using rodi water? and how are you measuring your sg level?

Salt Instant Ocean
water 5 stage RO have ato top offwith a float in sump
I wonder if the Rock might be it.
made it my self
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3697&pictureid=42015

shifty51008
04/15/2012, 01:20 PM
I am guessing it is the rock than also but never seen DIY rock change parameters that much, I also use IO salt and my reading on a new batch is

cal. 400
alk. 11
mag. 1350

how long did you cure the rock and how did you do it?

Rjukan
04/15/2012, 02:13 PM
I just can't help myself... For future postings yelling and screaming is loud, but criticism is allowed :)

The suggestion of making a fresh batch of sw and testing that as a comparison is a good idea. Otherwise it does sound as though the diy rock could be causing some of the wacky test readings. Good luck!

TheShadow
04/15/2012, 02:29 PM
how long did you cure the rock and how did you do it?

I would have to say it was about 6 months.
I had it in the actual tank by itself changing water every couple of weeks.

I have done about 4 water changes so far only about 5gal at a time.
should I try larger ones and how much and how often?

shifty51008
04/15/2012, 02:31 PM
1st I would start testing a new batch of SW and see what you get for readings before it goes into the tank.

TheShadow
04/15/2012, 02:34 PM
I just can't help myself... For future postings yelling and screaming is loud, but criticism is allowed.

Great every one is an English major.

TheShadow
04/15/2012, 02:36 PM
will do. Thanks

TheShadow
04/15/2012, 05:43 PM
good call Shifty51008 All the parameters are good before they go in.
So whatever the problem is in the tank.
what is the largest water change I can safely do and how often?

shifty51008
04/15/2012, 05:49 PM
then it has to be the DIY rock, something is still leaching out of it. because you only have a cuc in the tank as long as the temp is the same, you should be able to do a 50-75% water change with no effects every other day, however it won't matter much if the rock keeps leaching the stuff. water changes will get spendy