PDA

View Full Version : Algae Dieoff... concern?

SKurj
04/15/2012, 12:23 PM
I have a new tank a month old. One of the liverocks I got from a local reefer has a green sort of furry algae on it. I didn't know better and put it in my DT. I added carbon, and GFO to the fuge and now the furry algae looks to be dying off (its gone brown). The tank has cycled already.

Is there anything I should be concerned about?

I am running lighting of 7 hrs whites, 9 hours blues, 11 hours moonlights (all in one long cycle) with them all off for 13 hours.

philosophile
04/15/2012, 12:37 PM
The brown is probably diatoms. It takes a couple of months for a new tank to really break in. If you're still cycling the tank, take out the rock, scrub it free of the algae and give it a good rinse in SW. Or consider letting it really dry out to make sure he algae is dead. Then scrub.

Squidmotron
04/15/2012, 01:03 PM
I just went through this and in a way the algae die-off is worse than the algae. I scrubbed some of my top rock, but it was not practical to take out every single rock and scrub. I have living things.

It slowly dies, collects everywhere, clogs your choke points, etc.

It is just not fun, so if you get a chance grab some of the die-off and take it out or scoop it up, suck it out, whatever. I don't know how harmful it is, but it's unpleasant to look at.