PDA

View Full Version : skimming after dark...

SKurj
04/15/2012, 02:12 PM
I have a hob skimmer on a 1 month old cycled tank.

The bubbles don't overflow into the cup in the daytime but at night it bubbles madly...

The cup can be adjusted for height and thats it no other adjustments on the skimmer, do I set it for daytime running or night time? Still a very low bioload, a couple of tiny fish, 9 snails, and a handful of chaeto in the hob fuge.

jasimek
04/15/2012, 04:42 PM
I skim all the time....just set it and forget it

DrSalty
04/15/2012, 05:28 PM
+1. There shouldn't be any reason to have to adjust between day and night.

Andrew
04/15/2012, 06:04 PM
The skimmer should be ran constant but when you feed or add certain suppliments its best to turn off the skimmer for 10-15 minutes as they will tend to go a little nuts but you should never have to adjust it. What type of skimmer is it?

SKurj
04/15/2012, 07:49 PM
Its an SWC Mini HOT skimmer, its been running since i started the tank so close to a month now. Tank is also plagued by microbubbles from it as well, though I can overlook those.

As far as adjusting the skimmer goes the cup rarely fills, should I be adjusting it so I at least need to empty it every day or 2, even if it is wet?

TimeConsumer
04/15/2012, 08:02 PM
Some prefer to skim wet, others prefer to skim dry. I like to skim dry personally, less work. Keep the neck of the skimmer clean, wipe it out with a paper towel every day or two to keep it consistant. Additionally, fluctuating water levels in your display can affect HOB skimmer performance, do you have an ATO?

Andrew
04/15/2012, 08:03 PM
Some people like to wet skim and other likes to dry skim. I myself wet skim and I might get a 1/5 of a cup from my 20 gallon tank in a week.

SKurj
04/16/2012, 05:07 AM
Some prefer to skim wet, others prefer to skim dry. I like to skim dry personally, less work. Keep the neck of the skimmer clean, wipe it out with a paper towel every day or two to keep it consistant. Additionally, fluctuating water levels in your display can affect HOB skimmer performance, do you have an ATO?

I am manually topping up at the moment, I do have an ozmolator, just haven't got it hooked up yet.