PDA

View Full Version : random fish death?

Zalman
04/15/2012, 09:44 PM
Picked up a copperband butterfly from my LFS. was in their tanks with hypo salinity for a week or so. Brought home left in hypo for several more weeks. Raise it to match my tank salinity a week before moving the fish

Fish ate mysis with no trouble. I never used any meds in QT wasn't sure what would be best. And didnt want to do any harm to a healthy eater

After about 9 weeks I added to my DT where the fish still ate mysis with no trouble and lived for about 6 weeks.

I fed my fish one night and noticed that my CBB did not seem interested in the food. THe next day it was gone without a trace.

Not the first time something like this has happened to me (similar situtation with a clownfish back in august). But what would cause something like this to happen? Any way to prevent this in the future? On a side note I have several other fish that are healthy and fine in my DT. So I am assuming this is just a freak accident?

MrTuskfish
04/16/2012, 10:04 AM
Hypo or just low SG? LFS rarely use true hypo (1.008-1.009 SG) I have no idea where your fish is from, so just for info:There are a lot of CBBs that just don't acclimate and last very long. IMO, the origin of the fish is a big part of it. I avoid fish from Indonesia, The Phillipiines, and those just labeled "Indo-Pacific. Some fish from those locations are fine; but many aren't collected or handled with the care they need. CBBs are not easy fish to start with. CBBs from Australia are pricey, but usually do very well.

Zalman
04/16/2012, 05:50 PM
I have no idea where the fish was collected. The store has their salinity around 1.012 so I guess it is not true hypo.

The fish seemed to acclimate so well and was eating fine. Looked healthy and active all the time. I just don't understand why it would skip one meal then be dead the next day.