PDA

View Full Version : Question About Moving a Tank

steve888
04/16/2012, 07:49 AM
I'm going to move my 14G BioCube from my bedroom to my living room. Obviously, due to the weight and the live rock moving around, I can't just pick it up and move it. So, I'm going to siphon out about 70% of the water, move my livestock and liverock into buckets, and then move the tank.

Question: How long can my livestock remain in buckets without the water being circulated at all by the tank pump or the powerhead? My LFS says they'll be good for about an hour to 90 minutes. I moved my tank once before a few months ago and it only took me about 45 minutes to do the move and set everything back up again. All of the livestock have been very healthy since then so I think I did things right.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

shifty51008
04/16/2012, 08:02 AM
as long as you have heat and air in the bucket they can go days being in there. the biggest problem will be the size of the bucket and how much livestock is in there creating fights and ammonia

izzy123
04/16/2012, 08:23 AM
I agree with your LFS, Without an airstone or pump I would say the same thing.
Maybe even longer but I wouldn't take any chances.

Hope this helps

torvall
04/16/2012, 10:53 AM
I once moved my 55 across town doing almost exactly what you have planned.

My advice is to plan for the worst, though (you never know what could happen when hauling a tank around). 5 gallon buckets are cheap - get one for each fish species you have and at least get an air pump in there.

steve888
04/16/2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions. The move went relatively well but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all of my livestock can survive the upheaval! Rustling up all of the sand like that can't be good. I removed about 80% of the water but in the process of carrying the cube downstairs and then refilling the tank there was quite a bit of sloshing around so God only knows what they're breathing right now.

I think my pump isn't working at 100% either (even after I cleaned it thoroughly)...but I've got a 240 gph powerhead in there that's helping out luckily. I guess once all the cloudiness goes away I'll see how everybody is doing.

This must be the aquatic verison of a tornado or hurricane for them!! :uhoh3: :uhoh3: :uhoh3: