PDA

View Full Version : CO2 DISASTER in my SPS tank...help me!

andre reef
04/16/2012, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone!
As I said in the title, a disaster just happened to me: the calcium reactor's electrovalve accidentally stayed opened and it flooded CO2 in my tank.
As a result now I have 22 dead fishes :sad2: and almost 60 different species of sps badly damaged. The corals now slowly keep dying from their top and from every place they are growing, even if a few days have passed.
I changed the water twice and I put almost 1,5 kg of active carbon since my tank containes 800 L.
Any possible solution? Please I need your help!

Thank you in advance!

JT3069
04/16/2012, 09:26 AM
wow that sucks
on an up beat note, frag everything that is still alive and monitor your alk,
keep it steady, and hope for the best

ihavtats29
04/16/2012, 10:07 AM
open your windows an let fresh air in the house it will help raise your ph

galleon
04/16/2012, 12:24 PM
LOTS OF AIRSTONES. Seriously. You need as much gas exchange as possible to removing any residual CO2. What is your pH and alkalinity?

dahenley
04/16/2012, 04:34 PM
LOTS OF AIRSTONES. Seriously. You need as much gas exchange as possible to removing any residual CO2.

+1

and carbon doesnt remove CO2...

bigmatt
04/16/2012, 06:40 PM
Run a fresr air line from outside to your skimmer intake, you need to off gas that co2 asap

cediss
04/16/2012, 07:02 PM
The chemistry has been altered by now as your tank tried to balance the pH the CO2 drives the equation burning up your alkalinity (carbonate hardness). In addition to airation, I would do at least 30-50% water change.

andre reef
04/17/2012, 07:28 AM
First of all thank you for the answears guys!

So all my values are now stable for almost a week, just like the survived fishes and LPS but my SPS corals keep dying!
I put the carbon into my tank in order to decrease the toxins of the dead corals not to increase my pH.
I've already done almost 30% water change, do you suggest me to do it again?

spieszak
04/17/2012, 07:34 AM
+1

and carbon doesnt remove CO2...
Agreed, but it does remove at least some of what the corals are spewing in their struggle and the some of spike the fish death may cause... just saying I would continue running it.. in decent quantities, and change it often.

andre reef
04/17/2012, 07:59 AM
Agreed, but it does remove at least some of what the corals are spewing in their struggle and the some of spike the fish death may cause... just saying I would continue running it.. in decent quantities, and change it often.

Thank you Spieszak! I agree with you and I'll keep using carbon at least for other 2 weeks. Hoping for the best, fingers crossed!

chadfarmer
04/17/2012, 09:34 AM
how do you flood your tank with c02 even if you regulator gets stuck, did you have a crazy amount of co2 going through your reactor at fast rates --- my regualtor turns off every 2-3 days for about an hour slow bubble count

i would suggest when everything evens out to take things slow

karsseboom
04/18/2012, 01:47 AM
Aquarium plants regulator...best thing so far.

zaheda
04/18/2012, 05:17 AM
What type regulater were you using and solenoid. I guess you dont use a ph controller. How could you release so much co2 as a needle valve is set at about a bubble per second? I never used a ph controller and me never had any problems. Good luck with the tank and my advise is many water changes with some Prodibio.

JAustin
04/18/2012, 07:33 AM
I agree with karsseboom, aquarium plants regulator. No solenoid. We all know solenoids fail. in addition if the aquarium regulator does fail, the ph controller will kill the power and stop the co2 injection.

rogerwilco357
04/18/2012, 04:20 PM
if there was as much death as you say in fish and coral I would do another 20% water change to get the toxins out and help the carbon do its thing good luck...