PDA

View Full Version : Circulation advice needed

drew2007
04/16/2012, 12:22 PM
As of now i have 1 koralia evo 1400 and i threw in a maxijet 900 from my old setup. Plus a mag 9.5 running about 60% return. Now i plan on getting into sps in the near future. It will be a mixed reef. Of course everyone is in favor of vortechs but i really cant justify the cost of them. Plus im reading alot of complaints on noise which i really dont want. Tank is in living room and i wanna keep it as quiet as possible. Do you think adding an additional koralia 1400 would be too much? Should i ditch the koralias and go with some tunzes? Any advice is appreciated.

bud217
04/16/2012, 08:33 PM
If you are considering going sps, you can pretty much have unlimited amount of flow. The only limiting factor to flow is usually whether or not you have sand. to much flow with sand = sand storm. If you're not looking to spend a lot, Ive hear the koralia smart wave is pretty decent for the cost.

drew2007
04/16/2012, 08:43 PM
I do have a shallow sand bed. about 1"-1.5" deep. I used oolite sand too so its really fine grade. That is another thing i was thinking about if i went with vortech. Would i create a sandstorm? Cost isnt really a factor. Just for some reason i think the vortech is overpriced.

drew2007
04/17/2012, 04:51 PM
Ok i bit the bullet and bought a used mp40 off of a member here. I will give it a shot and see how it does in my setup.